Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Tang sight for Stevens 1915?? (Read 5550 times)
JWF

Tang sight for Stevens 1915??
Aug 31st, 2016 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
I have a 1915 and am interested in a tang sight for it. There is a Marble in Brownells that lists as fitting the Savage 30G and the Stevens Favorite.  Would anyone happen to know if this will also work on the 1915?  If not, are there any others that will work?  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Tang sight for Stevens 1915??
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
Both the Lyman & Marbles repros are such eyesores that they would disgrace any original rifle.  You can find an original sight on ebay if you have a bit of patience, whereas you will eventually regret money wasted on one of these repros.  Lyman's code for Favorites was (guess what?) "F"; Marbles #3522.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Redsetter,

Where did you come up with that #3522 code for the old Marbles tang sight for the Stevens Favorite?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Sep 1st, 2016 at 1:56pm:
Redsetter,

Where did you come up with that #3522 code for the old Marbles tang sight for the Stevens Favorite?

May only be a catalog number, but it's the only way it's identified in my 1905 Marbles catalog. 

I have dozens of tang sights, but not a single Marbles, so I can't compare markings.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
Looks to me like the code stamped on the underside of the old Marbles tang sights for the Favorite is a V1

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Sep 1st, 2016 at 4:42pm:
Looks to me like the code stamped on the underside of the old Marbles tang sights for the Favorite is a V1

Well, if you've got one, that's conclusive.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Sep 3rd, 2016 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
The tang of the Favorite is at a different angle with respect to the bore than a Model 44, which I know to my chagrin.  I have your tang sight, (genuine Stevens) for which I paid dearly and then found unusable on a 44.  P/M me if you're interested.  
Phil

<div class=

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Sep 4th, 2016 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
Phil,
Have you tried making another spring that will position the staff at the angle you require?

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

coljimmy
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 11:02am
Print Post  
BP is correct on the markings, F for Lyman and V1 for Marbles, according to Mike Stroebel's excellent book, "Old Gunsights", now published combined with his old riflescopes book.  An excellent addition to your library.  He told me that he would never get through with additions to these books as he is frequently getting more information.  Also note that "almost all" Stevens rifles had 1&1/2 inch mounting screw spacing.

James

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Sep 15th, 2016 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Sep 4th, 2016 at 4:42pm:
Phil,
Have you tried making another spring that will position the staff at the angle you require?

Wouldn't matter, as the staff is too short anyway.  And it's the style with the flat on the bottom.    I guess I'll just keep it, as an excuse to build up another Favorite.   Roll Eyes

<div class=

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint