Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Best cast bullet cartridge for a Martini cadet? (Read 3946 times)
martini79
Participating Member

Best cast bullet cartridge for a Martini cadet?
Aug 30th, 2016 at 2:17am
Print Post  
Hi, my first post on this forum.

I am really in to my lever actions, and this will be my first single shot rifle.

Hi guys I have a small framed martini cadet. 

I want to use it in single shot, lever action bench rest competition.

I am looking for a very accurate load at 200 yards, the distance at which it is shot. The cadet needs a rebarrel anyway so calibre size is irrelevant.

I have a Winchester 92 in 25-20 and 32-20, accuracy however in those rifles is not  up the standard for the type of match I want to use the martini in.

What cartridge would you recommend. I have heard that better accuracy can be obtained out of the 32-20 by using bigger bullets, true?

Also what do you guys think of the 28-222r, 30-222r or 32-222r?

I think the 32-40 is a good cartridge, but am not sure if the cadet in able to take fixed ammo, and I am not sure if I want to get in to breech seating.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Best cast bullet cartridge for a Martini cadet?
Reply #1 - Aug 30th, 2016 at 10:54am
Print Post  
the short action and the curve of the loading "ramp" are obstacles working against you.  Its a mater of geometry, there is a finite limit to the length of case or cartridge you can slide down and into the chamber.   fixed ammunition is longer than if you were breech-seating a bullet and then inserting a properly prepared cartridge case.

it is true that incredible results have been obtained with the 32-20 case as well as cases based on the 357/mag/max case.     BUT most use longer heavier bullets and relatively high pressure loads----and I suspect most have been shot as breech eyed loads rather than fixed.  and, as far as I know in different, perhaps stronger, actioned rifles.

I believe that loading the long heavy bullet as a fixed round  MIGHT work, but maybe not--depending on length. and then there is the matter of safe pressure limits  for the Cadet action.

I don't have any answers for you in your search.  I do have a number of "martini actioned" rifles  but all the centerfire ones are in larger european 
schuetzen rifles and most are chambered for moderate pressure target loads.  and frankly breech seating in them is a pain.   the European shooters did not usually shoot that way so it was not a problem for them.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Dales
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2016 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Last spring I set up a Cadet for a offhand rifle . Thought a lighter rifle might help. I chambered mine in 300 Blackout and cut a rim area after chambering . I use 357 max or 360 Dan Wesson cases with a Ron Long bullet Loads OK and shoots very well .
Dale

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Aug 30th, 2016 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
Why not use 310? I have shot mine at 300yds at Bisley and it is still very accurate at that range.
Fred

IP Logged

digitall423
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 6:06am
Print Post  
I agree with Fred. The 310 Greener is an excellent round. Accurate and easy to reload---whats not to like.

IP Logged

martini79
Participating Member

Reply #5 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 6:40am
Print Post  
Would a 31-222r (.312") or 33-222r (.338") be likely to be good rounds?

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
30-20, using fast-twist barrel and heavier bullets (150+ grains).   And for cast bullets, the .310 is VERY good...

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #7 - Sep 6th, 2016 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
Hmmm.  My most accurate Cadet is in 221 but I haven't tried cast yet.  (Love the Bob Snapp extractor).  I'm having a 17-221 worked up now.

I had one in 30-30 - a bit too much to get in a loaded round, so it is now re-barreled to 7mm Int R.  (full length 30-30 necked down and sharper shoulder).   

Most fun is the 30-30 WESSON (straight tapered .357Max case).  30-20 or 32-20 would be excellent.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint