Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Gotta love a Ballard (Read 9449 times)
GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Gotta love a Ballard
Aug 29th, 2016 at 12:46am
Print Post  
I picked up a another Ballard on GB couple months ago, Merwin and Bray (from researching Dutchers book a late Ball and Williams) in a 32 RF.  I was a little disappointed when I first got it, I was thinking it was going to be a later model that could shoot rim or center fire, teach me to do my homework...  Sad  Anyway, after getting it and finding out the truth, I let it sit for a month and gave it some thought.  I didn't want to alter or butcher a piece of history but I have to be able to shoot a firearm or it's not staying in my collection. 
I cast the chamber and it was beyond hope (.010" out of round), scoping the barrel it had three rings and several bulges in what was left of the rifling. The wood was good to better in fit and finish. My decision then was to bore the chamber to the .32 rim diameter and .200 longer, make a plug to fit the original .32 extractor and over bored chamber, then drill this and the barrel and install a .22RF liner.  Finished this the other evening, made a new manual extractor and even before I had the extractor installed had to take it shooting...  What a trip.   
Don't have any plans of refinishing wood or metal, the only alterations I did outside of the bore - I chose to cut a dovetail in the action, rear of the hammer as seen in many of the rifles of this vintage for a sight.  I may post pictures later of this and the sight I made, after the coloring...

Shot it today - very pleased! experimenting with ammo, it likes Norma Match - if I do my part it's consistently smaller than 1.5" - five shot groups -100 yds. benched...     Gotta love those Ballards!  Wink

Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Gotta love a Ballard
Reply #1 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 6:50am
Print Post  
Nice.   The hammer nose didn't require alteration ?

<div class=

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 10:11am
Print Post  
Nice save on the old Ballard! I think taking the old RF-percussion Ballard to a .22RF is the best way to get them shooting.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 6:50am:
Nice.   The hammer nose didn't require alteration ?

I anticipated having to make some alterations but I tried it first, and like I mentioned it had ammo preferences, some because of the way it shot others because it failed to go bang... when it fails even once to go off with preferred ammo I'll address the situation.  I'm getting a good strike on the rim edge - the Norma and Federal match both work fine, the cheaper ammo fails to work... go figure- female tendencies? Wink

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2016 at 12:35am
Print Post  
Finally had time to try the old girl with my cobbled sight, still  haven't finished it but it's works, in fact, shot it at a match earlier in the month, no winners here, but it shot respectable.  On paper at a 100 hundred it doesn't look great, had a 3-5 mph breeze, light was diminishing, all the same old excuses... but on the oinker at a 100, it shoots minute of iron!  5 shots and they all felt good, I had good visual.  Grin
I did have to alter the hammer slightly, I used a small amount of hard surface rod and built the firing pin up, squared it off and resized it.  It now smacks the the rim and then some, I'm getting good ignition with all ammo so I have some shooting to do.

now that I have this one shooting... I started the next one, it followed me home one day... it's a Marlin Ballard, best guess is a #2, the bore is horrendous so it's getting a liner and becoming a more common caliber but again, the stock and exterior will remain unchanged...

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2016 at 1:07am
Print Post  
As I mentioned earlier, there's another one in the works.  Don't know how everybody else does it but some of my projects begin in the strangest ways, sometimes it's because I picked up some brass, maybe dies, or a chambering reamer, even a barrel, possibly a partial (action) inspires me, these tend to take a lot longer to complete.   
I had a couple hours free last night so I backed in to this one by starting the rear sight.  Saw a picture of a Maynard sight once that used a rack and pinion for elevation - got to try it.  No I didn't make the gear rack, I had it in some junk I saved... pinion is tiny and cute too.   
Plan to order the liner in the morning, already have the reamer, dies, brass, molds etc. (guns in this caliber too) 
Oh, did I mention, it'll be a 38-55, just growing ever so slightly in length...

IP Logged

SgtDog0311
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Sep 26th, 2016 at 9:27am
Print Post  
Wow Greg, Very cool thread and nice work!!   I don't think I've ever seen posts where anyone has a pre-Marlin ballard shooting.   Nice work.

One question on your second.  It's three line -- so cast, right?  I thought the cast receivers were not safe on something like a 38-55.   Or is the liner considered to be enough added strength?   Not much metal on the chamber end so that surprises me if so.

Best Regards,
John

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Sep 26th, 2016 at 10:22am
Print Post  
I wouldn't build a #2 cast action in .38-55 myself. That big hollow area under the chamber, plus the cast action; don't add up to much strength.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

rustyrelx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Sep 26th, 2016 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
#2's were in pistol cartridges you would best be served by doing the same.
       Don

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Sep 26th, 2016 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the responses and concerns, after digging in to it a little more last night I agree, it needs to stay in the lighter pistol cartridge range.  Initial thoughts were posted in haste.

IP Logged

SgtDog0311
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Sep 26th, 2016 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
I hope you post what you do with that sight.  Looks intriguing.   Also did nice work bringing that Ballard back - hope to see the results of your second one.   You using TJ liners?

Best Regards,
John

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Sep 26th, 2016 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
Good looking job, especially the sight.
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but cutting the dovetail in the receiver of the Ballard reduced it's value by about 50%.
Chuck

IP Logged

SgtDog0311
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Sep 26th, 2016 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
It probably did from a collector standpoint but I've seen these go for as little as a New Marlin 336, meaning he ups the value to himself by making it a shooter while not sacrificing so very much in collector value.   I'm thinking that shooting is more important here to GT, especially after seeing the chamber and bore issues he mentions in his initial post.   Have to admit, I was wondering about the strength impact of a dovetail there but I don't have enough experience to say if that was a compromise or not.

Best Regards,
John

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Sep 27th, 2016 at 1:17am
Print Post  
"Someone correct me if I am wrong, but cutting the dovetail in the receiver of the Ballard reduced it's value by about 50%."

Please do a little more research on your Ballards, this is a pre-Marlin, a "Merwin and Bray" from the serial number, date of mfg. is late 1866, this dovetail was the means of attaching the rear sight - very common on this action, especially on the higher end models.  I did machine this dovetail copying dimension and location from an original "high end" that I had a chance to fondle.  The sight I made doesn't resemble theirs in any way, shape or form -  Smiley   If the chance arises, get John Dutcher's book on the Ballard, observe the rifles on pages 46 and 47, these are similar to the sample I had my hands on...

IP Logged

SgtDog0311
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Sep 27th, 2016 at 9:13am
Print Post  
GT, thank for that on the dovetail info.   Never focused there on the pre-Marlins.  My Dutcher book is about 1800 miles away from me right now but I'll have a look.   

I do look at those pre-marlins frequently on the auction sites.  I've even thought about forking over the money for one that is a true wall hanger and down low in the price range.  Wouldn't one look good hanging above the landing where that hay saw now hangs?      

I never thought to restore one to shooting condition - which would be so much the better.   

Were I to have more machinist skills instead of  carpenter skills, mayhaps!  But then I wouldn't have the place to hang even the hay saw.

Best Regards,
John

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint