Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Gotta love a Ballard (Read 9452 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Gotta love a Ballard
Reply #15 - Sep 27th, 2016 at 10:30am
Print Post  
Yes, the pre Marlin Ballard did indeed have a dovetail cut into the receiver if ordered for tang sight. Of course all the Marlin Ballards got 1.125" hole spacing for a tang sight, regardless of what sights were ordered on the gun.
I've owned a few pre Marlin Ballards, but always decent enough guns to not want to rework them. The idea of a little .22LR with the nifty hand ejector that is so positive, always intrigued me! I think it's the perfect conversion for a pre Marlin Ballard!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Sep 27th, 2016 at 10:32am
Print Post  
GT,   Your references are correct.
Just hate to cut on an original rifle, even drill and tap, but probably the best solution for that rifle
Chuck
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2016 at 10:39am by Chuckster »  

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Sep 28th, 2016 at 12:41am
Print Post  
John, the liner I used on this was a Redman I think, it's one of several I've had lying around the shop a long time, I experimented early on with inserts in big guns, not pleased with the results led to building a few 22's on larger actions.  I have a couple of TJ's liners coming since I have some momentum going, as I mentioned in another post here, it's all about time, taking time, making time, having time, etc. but that's another subject for another time.  Nice digs - a wall hanger, early Ballard that you can still take down and shoot when the urge arises would go nicely there Smiley   I admire those who work with wood and do quality construction, I have little tolerance for wood. I do prefer stone and that is my next home construction  material.  In time I hope to post pictures of all my shootable wall hangers on stone walls...
Vall, the manual hand ejector along with the striker on the hammer did initiate the challenge.  My fit of the new ejector is close and to most eyes, it's fit and finish isn't bad, but noting  the originals, the old boys that made these were good, real good. 
Chuck, cutting the dovetail was a conscious decision I made, drilling and tapping for a sight base in this era was wasn't common.  My initial method for testing group capabilities was a J.W. Fecker clamped on the barrel, but I prefer shooting matches with open sights... at least until my eyes force me to change, I'm already beyond using the original barrel sights, thus this modification.
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Sep 28th, 2016 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
GT, Sometimes words don't come out what you meant to say.
You have done the research and think the dovetail is the best solution for that rifle.
Nice rifle and good job.
Chuck

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint