Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Breech Muzzle Loader Information Needed (Read 16542 times)
Flatlander
Oldtimer

Breech Muzzle Loader Information Needed
Aug 9th, 2016 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
I am looking for anyone with first-hand information on actually using a breech-muzzle loading schuetzen rifle. I have been offered an opportunity to purchase a nice Winchester 1885 in 32-40Win. so equipped with all the needed accessories. I do not know anything about them other than what I have read but understand they may only work properly with black powder (unless only breech seated or fixed ammo) which is not a problem on my part. This makes me very nervous. I am not shy about more experimentation but the price is substantially more than I am willing to write off as a mistake on my part if it does not work out. Are they worth playing with or should I pass and just continue playing with my current breech loaders and forget about extra aggravation? It sure sounds like an interesting journey though.

Thanks Much In Advance:

Flatlander

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Re: Breech Muzzle Loader Information Needed
Reply #1 - Aug 9th, 2016 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
I have one in 33-47 and could never get the gun to shoot better as a muzzleloader vs a breech loader. Your results and the results of others may not be the same but I hink thats why it is more curiousity then serious competitive edge

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #2 - Aug 9th, 2016 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Who made the barrel?

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Aug 9th, 2016 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Only using a breech seating muzzleloader with black powder is a big myth! Many were designed and built during the BP era, but a lot were built after the advent of smokeless, and worked just fine with smokeless ammo. 
I own a Geo. C. Schoyen barreled Ballard with false muzzle and only shoot it with smokeless powder. On occasion it has shot 3/4" 5 shot groups at 100 yds., and could probably do it more often in the hands of a better shooter than me! 
I was told the gun could only be shot as a breech seating muzzleloader when I got it, but no mention of BP. So I've always used smokeless. But I've also tried fixed case ammo, and it shoots very well that way also. And recently I built a breech seating tool, and tried breech seating the bullet too, and it shot as well that way. I may never go back to muzzle loading it, as it's much easier to breech seat!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Flatlander
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Aug 9th, 2016 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
I should have mentioned it is a Ron Long built Winchester 1885 from the 1980's Coors Schuetzenfest era. 31 Inch #3 full octagon barrel, dst, Helm lever, and Rifle smith sights but do not know any other specs as of yet as it is not mine yet.

Zack T:

Did you use black or smokeless in yours?

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Aug 9th, 2016 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
Flatlander- only tried mine with black. bresien barrel and false muzzle/starter. Those Ron Long guns never shot well. I would pass if I were you. Please let me know the contact for the person selling it as I wouldnt want them trying to bamboozle another shooter with that lemon.

IP Logged

Captain Bob

Reply #6 - Aug 9th, 2016 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Flatlander - Consider this, is the barrel leade still set up for muzzle-loading or has it been modified for breech seating or fixed ammunition. With muzzle-loading you will be using either a fixed length ramrod or a plugged case to place the bullet exactly relative to the face of the chamber. A looser modified leade might be detrimental to keeping the seated bullet firmly in place and concentric to the bore. Recently mentioned in another thread, I think here, was Dr. Hudson’s plug case with a feeler wire undoubtedly used to verify consistency of bullet placement.

Another consideration - Fatigue.  Have you shot a muzzle-loading rifle before? With muzzle-loading you will experience a great deal more handling of the rifle and perhaps movement to and from the loading position. If you are shooting bench rest you will be standing up to reload and then sitting down for every shot, as well as handling the rifle between. Shooting offhand you will have somewhat less up and down, but every bit as much rifle handling. Also, does the rifle you are considering have a mechanical bullet starter? A palm pressure starter will require more arm movement and motion.

With regard to black powder, one of the benefits of muzzle-loading is that the loading of the bullet in fact wipes the bore if you are shooting dirty. The use of duplex loading is also beneficial in this respect. For me shooting my paper cross patch muzzle breech loading .38-55 Brisien/Ballard with duplex black using original tools is a competition with myself just get everything as right as I can and see that on the paper. 

Of course, in the final analysis if muzzle-loading truely can provide a competitive edge we would be seeing a whole lot more of it going on. 

Bob

IP Logged

Flatlander
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Aug 9th, 2016 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Zack T:

Thanks for looking out for my best interest  Wink Wink Wink

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Aug 9th, 2016 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
Anytime my friend Smiley I am biased that muzzleloading adds a lot of work and trouble and the only gain is the coolness factor. The sets sure look neat in a case together. My false muzzle and starter are in a box...somewhere around here...

IP Logged

old7groove

Reply #9 - Aug 9th, 2016 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Flatlander - If the highwall you mention was built for a Coor's match of the 1980's. Ron Long built 3 for the 1983  match as prizes, Chuck Brockway, Dave Stahl and myself each recieved one and as I recall they were all 32-40's. The one you have, may have belonged to either Chuck or Dave. 
Ron Longs work was, in opinion, first class.
7~
« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2016 at 8:38pm by old7groove »  

IP Logged

Flatlander
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Aug 9th, 2016 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
old7groove:

It has a straight grip stock with very plain wood, not figured. 
Is that the way Ron made them for the match? All in all is does have the "Cool" factor going for it. May still have to spring for it. I saw it first at the Colorado Gun Collectors Show this last May. Still on the fence.

Flatlander

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

shovel80
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Aug 9th, 2016 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Flatlander, have you got a photo of the rifle etc.?

Terry

ASSRA Member # 11021
IP Logged

old7groove

Reply #12 - Aug 9th, 2016 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Flatlander - I do have a photo of Dave and Chuck holding their highwalls after they were awarded by Bill Coor's. It may take me while to find it in my 100's of photos I took during the 70's & 80's.
7~

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Aug 9th, 2016 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
I'm speculating but it appears to me that the B/M-L system was a transition phase from the strictly muzzle loading target/schuetzen of the black powder era to the strictly breech-loading/seating rifles.  I suspect that any advantage the B/M-L system gave was in the era of early semi-smokeless and transitional smokeless powders.
  And, I suspect that much of it might have been the "wiping" of the fouled bores of the BP and some of the other transitional powders (and their primers too---its easy to over look that factor).  The fact that some of the superlative gun artists created precision masterpieces of gun art using the system meant that alone using one of those guns the way the artist designed it had a significant edge just in the basic precision over other rifles---no matter what system was used.    my impression is that once reliable improved truly smokeless powders came on the market  the B/M-L system pretty much full by the wayside.   {this in spite of later more modern production-----mostly for the cool factor.  I wish I had---or could afford one. I could really use a bump up in the coolness area    Cheesy}  
  I wonder also if the movement to longer "string of fire" matches might not have been a factor as well since the older style of match with very limited firing points and long waits between shots would have been less physically stressful for the shooter.     or maybe the quicker rate of aimed fire with a truly breech-loading---even with breech seated bullets might have made longer String-of-shot matches more practicable. Huh

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Aug 9th, 2016 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
I think/hope that everyone knew I was being sarcastic regarding Ron Long guns being duds. If the price on the gun was reasonable and I liked it I would buy it but not with the thought that the BM system would give an advantage. I have a nickel that says your starter and false muzzle will end up in a cigar box just like mine but I bet it shoots fine as a breech loader. One of my best shooting rifles has a 40-65 Ron Long barrel.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint