Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Breech Muzzle Loader Information Needed (Read 16570 times)
Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Breech Muzzle Loader Information Needed
Reply #30 - Aug 16th, 2016 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
I don't have any trouble shooting without the throat.  I think the bullet tapers from .328 to .342 at the base. As I said above, it requires mechanical leverage to seat it.  It will shoot at least 8 bullets in about 1/2" at 200 yards.  Blame me for the location of the last 2, not Harry  Grin

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #31 - Aug 17th, 2016 at 8:38am
Print Post  
There is a story about Pope that when he was at Stevens he used a range that had a pond over part of the range. Pope was testing a customer’s rifle and accidently shot off the false muzzle on the rifle. He paid two kids to find it in the pond. He cautioned to tie the false muzzle to the bench with a shoestring after that.

40 Rod

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Aug 17th, 2016 at 8:43am
Print Post  
I think it would be a PIA to load from the muzzle everytime.  Shooting bench and having to settle in the rifle so much everytime   double PIA

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Aug 17th, 2016 at 10:13am
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Aug 16th, 2016 at 9:42pm:
I don't have any trouble shooting without the throat.  I think the bullet tapers from .328 to .342 at the base. As I said above, it requires mechanical leverage to seat it.  It will shoot at least 8 bullets in about 1/2" at 200 yards.  Blame me for the location of the last 2, not Harry  Grin

That success kinda debunks Harry's theory about the fins, does it not?

<div class=

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #34 - Aug 17th, 2016 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
I have a Hartford Pope 38-55 Muzzle Load Rifle. I have shot it I think tree times in competition MuzzleLoaded and have done well. Load was Duplex using 4759 and Elephant Fg from a Pope Measure not weighed except for getting the Load where I wanted it. Shoots superb this way. Fired my two best targets EVER offhand at 200 yds. Two of the Matches were 50 shot, the other was 100 shot. In the 100 shot they were the 5th and 6th relay. my back was killing me from the process of handling the Rifle so much, I think I just relaxed and let it go. I have never tried it from the Bench. I have also never tried to Muzzle Load with Smokeless. I have Muzzle Loaded a Schoyen 33-40 with Smokeless and it shot very good. I did not at that time have a Mold and was using bullets supplied by friends. They all shot well. It is a lot of work and not for the faint of heart, and you can easily be distracted and do something wrong like shooting the False Muzzle down range or forget to seat the bullet down the bore to the chamber where it belongs. If you are a person who likes to go to the Range and get your shooting done and then pick up and go off to some other activity, this is not for you. HTH regards, FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 1:43am
Print Post  
Quote:
I think it would be a PIA to load from the muzzle everytime.  Shooting bench and having to settle in the rifle so much everytime   double PIA

Disturbing one's BR setup on bags is definitely an issue.  Using a Pope muzzle rest  is the way to go when MLing, not an issue with it.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 1:45am
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Aug 17th, 2016 at 10:13am:
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Aug 16th, 2016 at 9:42pm:

That success kinda debunks Harry's theory about the fins, does it not?

That is what I thought too.  The first time I put 8 shots in the lower left corner  of the 25 ring convinced me the fins were an  advantage if there were any the powder didn't melt off  Cheesy

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 1:47am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Aug 17th, 2016 at 7:55pm:
Wished we could all get together some day for a breech muzzle loader only match. 

Joe.

How about Christmas Eve at Arco?   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 2:05am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Aug 16th, 2016 at 1:58pm:
A shooter at Glasgow this weekend told me he shot his false muzzle off once. Said it fit better after that. 

I'm going to be very careful from now on.  Wink

Joe. 

I have shot the FM more than once   The bullet hits an inch or two low at 200 yds 

The sight block pin doesn't show in a scope.  I  attached a plastic shield to the pin that definitely blocks the scope  

When I shot slug guns. I tied my FM to the loading bench. If you don't make the cord to long, you won't be able to shoot it off Smiley

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 2:08am
Print Post  
The worst part is having to wait for cease fire to get it back  Cry  Angry

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #40 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
My False Muzzle has had a Twine tied to the Blinder Pin ever since I purchased the Rifle. The fellow I got it from warned me.
I have over the years found two False Muzzle rifles that had a ring in the bore about three to four inches down from the Muzzle. Strange thing is they still shot well shooting  Breech Seated. Regards, FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

Captain Bob

Reply #41 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
False muzzles - they're why God invented shoe laces!

Bob

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint