Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Stevens 44 1/2 with Souther Scope (Read 8355 times)
Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Stevens 44 1/2 with Souther Scope
Aug 6th, 2016 at 1:27am
Print Post  
Howdy All,

I have a couple pics here of the stevens 44 1/2 .22lr that I got off of gun broker thanks to a tip from a fellow member.  It is a interesting gun and in really good shape. Perfect bore, has an ejector that will put your eye out. The barrel has the odd Stevens marking as pictured. There are no gunsmith markings on it anywhere after pulling it apart. The scope is interesting as well. It looked murky when I first looked down it so I took it apart to clean it. As you can see from the pics the objective lens slides into the outer objective bell. There was a now missing screw that held it in place and I think was meant as a means to adjust the objective. I can't figure out how to remove the component of the scope that holds the cross hair in place. There is a brass sleeve inside the scope that holds it but it looks like there is a blind screw that colds the sleeve in place. I was able to get the scope cleaned up enough that it is shootable. I think it is around 4-5x. I do believe that it was built as a gallery scope. you can adjust the objective so you can read the fine print on a newspaper at 30'. It looks like a dead ringer for a FH Souther scope. If there is a mark on it anywhere I can't find it. Am interested to hear your thoughts. best,

Zack

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Re: Stevens 44 1/2 with Souther Scope
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 1:29am
Print Post  
some scope pics. I put it on my Hubalek Ballard and it is sweet.

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 1:30am
Print Post  
you all think it is a Souther ?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
Zack congratulations on your purchase it sure is a Dandy. Can't help you out the scope but it does indeed look like the one pictured.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
Not sure there's anything else that looks like a Souther? You got yourself a heck of a buy on that gun and scope!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #5 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Some years ago I purchased a Borchardt in 38-55 from an some one I knew for $285.00. Heavy unmarked Barrel with a bright shiny bore. Could not resist it. Bought it so it could not escape our crowd. Sold it later to a local guy for what I paid for it. Later met the guy I bought it from at a Gun show in Hartford. He asked what did I do with it and I told him. It was OK with him. He said he paid $1200 for the Rifle just to get the Souther Scope off it. Sold the Rifle to me because he knew I liked Borchardts and he just wanted to get a little of his expense back. The one you have is the same construction as his but his was a full length scope. HTH Regards, FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
Souther and Gerrish-Southard are not the same scopes, but equally rare & desirable.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
Zack T wrote on Aug 6th, 2016 at 1:29am:
some scope pics. I put it on my Hubalek Ballard and it is sweet.

Looks good on your Ballard, Zack, but think it would look even better on my 52.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
I had to remove one of the reticle cells* from a Cummins scope I have.  It was indeed held in place by a tiny grub screw going thru the cell wall from the inside.  It was a fussy job that tried my patience no end, but using a needlenose forcept I finally got it.    Sounds like you have the same thing. 

I then had to make up a special tool to re-insert the cell and turn it to the correct orientation.  Another patience-trying task. 

*The Cummins had two cells, one at each internal focal plane.  The forward one is the horizontal crosshair, and the rearmost is the vertical.

<div class=

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys. I am very pleased with both the rifle and scope. There are three lenses one in the siding objective end, one just forward of the reticle about 2-3" from the eyepiece and one tht screws in the eye pieces. I was able to remove and clean the objective and wye piece and now the scope is very shootable. Looks to be very good quality. There a a black goober at 5oc on the lens associated with the reticle that i cant get at unless i take that grub screw out. May just leave it. I assumed that Souther and Southard were the result of the often fearless spelling of yesteryear ! Thanks for the clarification. Redsetter- inam not an optics collector. I realy only "collect" rusty old sharps and rolling blocks. Everything else is shooter status. Have no idea the value of the scope but am not married to it. Thanks all and best

Zack

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Aug 6th, 2016 at 2:01pm:
I had to remove one of the reticle cells* from a Cummins scope I have.  It was indeed held in place by a tiny grub screw going thru the cell wall from the inside.

What conceivable reason would justify such a bad idea?  As opposed to a screw through the tube wall from the outside. Evidently, at some point Cummins himself must have recognized the stupidity of it, because the Cummins I have has screws through the tube wall, a total of three. Another Cummins I once had must have been constructed the same way, as I disassembled it without such extreme measures as you found necessary; I'd never have attempted it otherwise.

Quote:
*The Cummins had two cells, one at each internal focal plane.  The forward one is the horizontal crosshair, and the rearmost is the vertical. 

And this must be why it's impossible to eliminate parallax!  You can adjust the focal plane of the objective to fall on one of the wires or the other, but not both simultaneously.  Trying to do so drove me mad, until I finally gave up; moreover, I remember the error as being extreme, not the little bit that can be tolerated in other scopes.  The best part: I found this out AFTER I had filed two slots in a barrel for the Cummins mounts!

I have a copy of an 1892 Cummins catalog, in which there are very detailed instructions for mounting and adjusting the crosswires, but NOT ONE WORD about adjusting for parallax.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
I'm not entirely sure why he did it.   I managed to pull his patent drawings out of Google Patent, and this is just one of several arrangements he used.  He was reaching toward an internally adjusted scope design, which he did accomplish sorta-kinda.  On mine the forward cell (elevation) is adjustable by a screw on the top.  But his construction was so light that the scope has to be handled with kid gloves.   His lenses were good.  The scope is every bit as bright and sharp as many 3/4" scopes today.  

It IS possible to get all the parallax out, but once you've done it you can't move the objective without moving the rear cell too, which is so tedious that I'd never do it.  Part of that special tool I mentioned had to do with fine-tuning the longitudinal position of the cell, as well as orienting it so the hair is vertical.  

I wasn't aware that he ever put out a catalog.  If you could see your way to making a copy for me I'd be grateful.

Phil
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2016 at 7:48pm by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Aug 6th, 2016 at 7:38pm:

It IS possible to get all the parallax out, but once you've done it you can't move the objective without moving the rear cell too, which is so tedious that I'd never do it.  Part of that special tool I mentioned had to do with fine-tuning the longitudinal position of the cell, as well as orienting it so the hair is vertical.  

I wasn't aware that he ever put out a catalog.  If you could see your way to making a copy for me I'd be grateful.
Phil

Copy I have was made from original in the possession of the Vermont Hist. Soc.; it's the first, has 27 pages, and there was at least one later ed.

Even if it is possible to adjust for parallax (baffles me how!), seems like it might have been kinda helpful to explain the procedure to the owner!  I combed Shooting & Fishing for comments about it, but found only one, and it was by a user who also complained about parallax.   

I'll provide you a copy of this catalog, but I'd like to find out how to make the adjustment you described--because I've STILL got the barrel with two slots cut in it!

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Thanks.

In mine, he's got one crosshair at the focal plane of the objective.   Behind that is the erector lens, and the second crosshair is at the focal plane of that.  So the get parallax out, you have to first set the objective to focus on the front crosshair.  That image then passes thru the erector lens, and you have to fiddle the rear crosshair cell so that it coincides with the erector's focal plane.  (The erector is assumed to be fixed.)   So now at the focal plane of the erector you have the image of the front crosshair and the actual vertical crosshair in the same plane, and you focus your ocular lens on that.    It's such a fussy job that I surprises me not one bit that he didn't let the user try it.  

This is the tool.  The slot is to clear the grub screw.  The shoulder sets the depth.  Getting that right took a lot of tedious cut-and-try.  Once I got that right, then it took a dozen or so attempts to get the cell "clocked" so the crosshair would lie  vertical.  The tool when rotated will bear on one side or the other of the shank of that grub screw.  

My original adventure with this thing is documented at this thread:   
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2016 at 9:46pm by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Aug 7th, 2016 at 11:24am
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Aug 6th, 2016 at 9:23pm:
My original adventure with this thing is documented at this thread:  

Sure wish this info had been at my disposal when I was struggling with mine; however, that was over 10 yrs ago, and haven't touched it since.  Going to have to rip into mine again to see if I can replicate your adjustments, though my confidence level is not high--especially if that special tool is absolutely required.

One shown on the Stevens is identical to mine, without the windage adjustment.  Really like that low mounting position on the barrel, an advantage with the low combed stocks of most SSs.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint