Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 200 Yard Record? (Read 22706 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: 200 Yard Record?
Reply #30 - Jul 31st, 2016 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jul 30th, 2016 at 11:13am:
Vall I could be wrong but I have never seen it noted that CW Roland was using black powder?

JLouis

Outdoor Life October 1902 interview with CW Rowland. CW Rowland's record setting group was fired with 3 grs. of Dupont #1 smokeless, # 7 1/2 UMC primer, and the rest Hazard Fg  black powder to about 46 grs. 
So BP with a smokeless priming charge.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

SgtDog0311
Senior Forum Member

Reply #31 - Jul 31st, 2016 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
where would you find records for iron sights at 200 yds?

Best Regards,
John

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #32 - Jul 31st, 2016 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Right here:

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #33 - Jul 31st, 2016 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
Jeff_Schultz wrote on Jul 31st, 2016 at 8:10pm:
Right here:

And again I'll say these are not up to date records. 

40_Rod needs to correct me if I'm wrong but I believe he is no longer able to access the ASSRA webpage to make updates due to a server change.

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Jul 31st, 2016 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Quote:
And further more I spent a year preparing to the break the Bartlett record per the rules as they were clearly explained to me at the time and now you are saying I could have shot it as many times during that wasted  year to try to break it of which is now simply BS and a complete contradiction. That record breaking certificate is now only worth using as toilet paper as that accomplishment is no longer apples for apples and it totally pisses me off and more than a hard slap to face as you did not even take the time to consider all the hard work, dedication and time and effort spent on my end as paying a member at that point time and now you just offered it up for the ease of taking by a hope and a prayer with unlimited chances, how can you now justify that as at all being fair or more importantly an honest effort to unify us all as being one big happy group so please explain!

John,
You should be very greatfull that they have decided that way. You DID NOT wait a year to shoot it!

I remember how it came to be. Joe B said that <1/2" groups (5 X 5) couldn't be done, you set the Five, 5 shot matches up, to prove him wrong. It so happened, in the October match, that I attended, that you broke the record and turned it in. We discussed it in a PM.

These are the match results of other four, Five, 5 shot targets that you shot, that year (2013). At least that is all that I saved when I was on the Modesto mailing list, there could have been one in Sept, too.

August 10, 2013

100yd. 5-5 Shot Group Average
John Louis .4964

July 15, 2013

5-5 Shot Group Average 100yds.
JohnLouis .626

June 8, 2013 - Modesto Rifle Club - ASSRA Match

100 YD, 5-SHOT GROUP
T1 T2 T3 T4 T5 Average
John Louis 0.5700 0.4850 0.4400 1.0460 0.6160 0.6314
Barry Darr 0.9900 0.7480 0.3720 0.6240 0.5740 0.6616

April 13, 2013

J Louis 0.348 0.356 0.558 0.801 0.417 0.496
Leon Umsted 0.360 0.788 1.158 0.987 0.592 0.777
Dennis McCarthy 0.475 0.773 1.087 0.635 0.618 0.718

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Jul 31st, 2016 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
Pretty touchy for a guy who's apparently still some kind of record holder.
Guess "cordial" is by the wayside as well. Nice while it lasted, wan't it?

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Aug 1st, 2016 at 12:35am
Print Post  
Not group targets Dave, which I think is wrong.  What difference does it make if the group happens to be a 250 in 10% of the 25 ring Undecided  It is still an ASSRA match and target.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

JackHughs
Oldtimer

Reply #37 - Aug 1st, 2016 at 12:42am
Print Post  
Hi,

I may regret this post but, then again, it may actually help.

When I was Scheutzenmeister at Modesto, it was part of my job to understand the differences between "ASSRA Match Records" and "ASSRA National Match Records." 

Attached is a memo I put together to help our participants better understand which events were eligible for "ASSRA Match Records" at Modesto.

I hope this helps.

JackHughs

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 28 KB | 24 Downloads )

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.  W.B. Yeats

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Aug 1st, 2016 at 3:05am
Print Post  
JackHughs wrote on Aug 1st, 2016 at 12:42am:
Hi,

I may regret this post but, then again, it may actually help.

When I was Scheutzenmeister at Modesto, it was part of my job to understand the differences between "ASSRA Match Records" and "ASSRA National Match Records." 

Attached is a memo I put together to help our participants better understand which events were eligible for "ASSRA Match Records" at Modesto.

I hope this helps.

JackHughs   

Even though the records for the below matches, indicate that they are for Spring, Summer and Fall, they can be shot anytime? Note that there are two, 10 shot group records, one for Spring and one for Fall. How will that be dealt with.

John, also notice that the 100 yard Bartlet Match, has no time of year, nor does it say it can ony be shot, once a year.

Bartlet Match: Benchrest, 25 shots in 5 groups, single entry, annual match (summer)
1.091”    Dale Reynolds        2010

Rowland Match: Benchrest, 10 shots for group, single entry, annual match (spring)
1.435”    Bev Pinney             2007

10 Shot Score Match: Benchrest, single entry, annual match (fall)
250-10    Larry Minihan        2009
250-10    Jeff Schultz            2009

10 Shot Group Match: Benchrest, single entry, annual match (fall)2
1.367”    Jim McDermott             2001

-----------

100 Yard
Bartlet Match: (5) 5 shot groups for average
0.3882    John Louis                2014

Even though the 200 yard Bartlett match is a once a year "Summer" match, there is NO frequency even for shooting the 100 yard Bartlett Match. It doesn't say re-entery, either but, unless it's frequency is stated, it should be considered re-entry, until then, right?

Jan,
Is this how Marty Stenback resolved the issue of two, 200 yard, 10 shot group records?

Quote:
Bartlett Match: Twenty-five shots, five shots on the bull of five #6 single bull red targets for average              group - any sights, single entry. (shot once a year)

1.091”  Dale Reynolds                          2010

Rowland Match: Ten shots for group on the #6 target - any sights, single entry. (shot once a year) 

1.435”  Bev Pinney                               2007

10 Shot Group Match: Fired on the #6 target - any sights, single entry. (shot once a year)

1.367”              Jim McDermott          2001

They can be shot, once a year, at anytime, as long as they are called either Rowland OR 10 Shot?

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Aug 1st, 2016 at 3:21am
Print Post  
John,
Just to be sure, I looked over the whole text of the ASSRA, 2010 Rule Book and can not find ANYTHING that says the the Schuetzenmeister has to be a member of ASSRA to either run a match or score ASSRA targets.

It does say the the responceabilty of the Schuetzenmeister, is to run the match, score and sign targets for submition for records, by ASSRA rules.

I never submited my target, because, as Schuetzenmeister, I couldn't, since it wasn't shot by ASSRA rules.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #40 - Aug 1st, 2016 at 9:54am
Print Post  
OK I’m going to try to answer a couple of things that have cropped up since the last time I thought I had explained it.
First Frank If it wasn’t shot under ASSRA rules then it can’t be an ASSRA record any more than a practice target shot on a Tuesday in the back woodlot can be. However it is a remarkable accomplishment and you should be proud of it.
Next up Laurie and I have not been able to get into the website for well over a year now. That is why any of the sections have not been kept up. The ancient freebie software that is used for the site is no longer supported by modern Apple computers, but even before that I had lost my ability to get in to the site other than the Forum. This has been discussed with Josh over a year ago but still no movement.
Third, please try to understand this ASSRA Records are open to everyone who is a member in good standing shooting under ASSRA Rules. The National Match records are for the Etna Green matches only. The Etna Green matches are essentially a local club match and while being the longest continueing matches in the ASSRA the records kept are for that only.
Lastly we are not clairvoyant if you shot a target at the Noah’s Armpit range and didn’t send it in we can’t know about it. More than half the matches’ shot under ASSRA rules are never sent in to be published much less recognized for records.

40 Rod

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - Aug 1st, 2016 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
As an outside observer, John, I think that if you had an iota of decency, you'd just be grateful that your target, no matter how arrived at, is still the accomplishment that it is.   
If you had to do it that hardest possible way, nobody can change it now- but you can see that the officials are attempting to clarify this so none in the future would need to operate in the same conditions. The past is past, and can't be undone-- you got your due, and be pleased that you persevered. Gracefully.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #42 - Aug 1st, 2016 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
John,
The main reason that I'm NOT a member, is financial. I'm retired on JUST $925 per month SS, plus a few dollars that I make doing my scope adaptors, gun work for close friends and my wife's $11 per hour job. My house has been payed for since 2002 and I have NO debt, other than my property tax! I save ALL my extra money to go to the ONLY big shoot that I can afford (Spokane match).

I also shoot a few CBA matches, each year (200 mile round trip) and pay match fee's but, am not a member of CBA either.

One other thing.......... I didn't ask to be President of JSSS, Tony's nominated me and Elaine to take his and Nena's place (Pres & Sec/Tres) because he had done it to long and wanted to be free to shoot other matches, other than JSSS. 

My founding of JSSS has added many to the rolls of ASSRA since 1986 and I was a paying member from 1985 until 1997, when I lost my business. I've asked for nothing from ASSRA except, clarification of the rules and I don't need my name on a certificate to make me happy.

I hope that makes my position more clear.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #43 - Aug 1st, 2016 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
Quote:
When a match states it is a single entry and it is only shot once a year at Etna Green one would think as I did that it would also hold true for the affiliated clubs as well.

John,
The 100 Yard , five, 5 shot average group match, DOES NOT say single entry!

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Aug 1st, 2016 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
John,
These are the Bartlett Match rules, that you quote. Note the highlighted distance.

Section 2.01: Bartlett Match
Twenty-five shots, five shots on the bull of five #6 single bull red targets for average group. Any sights, single entry. Fired only at the Summer Match.
Distance: 200 yards
Position: Benchrest
Rifle: Any centerfire rifle which meets ASSRA guidelines.
Sight: Any sights which meet ASSRA guidelines.
Shots: 25 for group
Target: ASSRA No. 6, red, single target side.
Notes:
1. Five (5) targets are shot with five shots per target. Each target is measured for group size. The average group size of all five targets is calculated. This product determines the shooter’s group size entry.
2. This target is a typical benchrest target and would be difficult to use with iron sights unless a supplementary aiming bull is used
3. There is a 1-inch border on top and sides with a 1-3/8 inch bottom border on this target. The center of the bullet must fall on or inside those lines to be scored. If the center of any bullet hole falls outside the borderlines the target is disqualified.
4. This is normally shot at the Summer Match. This is a non-reentry match, which is fired by all shooters on one scheduled relay.
Named for Waldfritz Bartlett.

There are no ASSRA rules for the Bartlett, 100 yard, five, 5 shot average group. Nor any other CF, 100 yard match rules.The only place that I can find it is the record results, listed with the Kelly match, that is a re-entry match but, not noted, either.

In the record results, it notes the number of times, matches can be fired. It does not say anything about how many times that you can shoot the Bartlett 100 yard match. Until that is clarified, by the Schuetzenmeister or the BoD, it makes it a re-entry match.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint