Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) New Peabody Carbine (Read 4362 times)
mm1ut1

New Peabody Carbine
Jul 28th, 2016 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
I'm a customer of Providence Tool Co and unpaid employee (Vice president of lifting heavy objects) and got to talking to Frank (the owner) about making me a carbine. I have an original Peabody carbine that Frank converted to center fire by making a dedicated block, hammer and internals. It's a nice carbine but it has a few nitpicks. The 56 Spencer round is pretty accurate but I could only get just under 40 gr of powder. The trigger was pretty heavy and there was no provision for windage adjustment. 
On the high end rifles Frank makes an unbelievable amount of time is spent on fit and finish. I wanted a retro carbine that was obviously new but had the flavor of a nineteenth century firearm. So we came up with this proof of concept, prototype, whatever ,carbine. It was a fun project as we could experiment with sights, barrel length, finish, et cet. It's in 50/70 and was built with Wisconsin black bear hunting in mind. I like the 50/70 as you can always reduce loads for plinking. At just under seven pounds I would only use full power for hunting and when my brother in law wants to shoot.
It has double set triggers so no worries about heavy pull, and for the rear sight I wanted to use a trapdoor Model 1879 which is adjustable for windage. I got a real carbine rear sight online and went with that. The front sight is drifted for windage.
We tried a simulated aged metal finish on the barrel and brass buttplate. The wood had a temp modern finish which will be sanded off in the near future. I wanted something of a beater, well used wood finish and that will be worked on soon. 
I'm very happy how it turned out. It feels solid and simple as an axe handle. Monday it's going to the range to try it out.

I get by with a little help from my friends !

IP Logged

mm1ut1

Re: New Peabody Carbine
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
Another photo

IP Logged

Old_No7

Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2016 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Very nice, I like it!

My late father would have liked that one too, as he's the one who introduced me to single shots.

Old No7

"Freedom and the Second Amendment...  One cannot exist without the other."  © 2000 DTH&&

IP Logged

tbird1960
Senior Forum Member

He shoulda armed himself.

Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2016 at 10:47am
Print Post  
I used to have an original rifle but the bore was like a sewer pipe and I sold it. Would like to have one in 45-70.

NRA Patron, Whittington Center Founders Club, Life Member TSRA, Life Member HGCA Distinguished Rifleman Badge #783

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2016 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
I have an original carbine in 50/70 also that has absolutely no markings on it at all just a serial no. It is in need of some wood but I can't find anyone who can help me. It seems the Providence Co. wood I have been told will not fit. I found a butt plate for it from another poster. The barrel is very poor but shootable. I was going to fit a barrel and chamber it in 40/50 SBN if I can find a stock. Any ideas? By the way yours looks great. What barrel and twist do you have?

JMH

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2016 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Post script......

Could set triggers be fitted to mine?

JMH

IP Logged

mm1ut1

Reply #6 - Aug 3rd, 2016 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Barrel is 1/26" and 20" long. From the few times that it's been shot it does favor heavier bullets. Got about 2" groups at 50 yards. Recoil is surprisingly light probably due to short barrel. Only shooting black powder in this carbine. It does produce an impressive fireball with full loads.

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Aug 4th, 2016 at 9:36am
Print Post  
I have an original Peabody carbine which was rechambered to 50-70.  Great little carbine and not the lease unpleasent to shoot with the standard 5-7- bullet of 450 grains.

George
Salmon, Idaho

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Aug 4th, 2016 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Mine is identical to yours as far as looks go. Yours doesn't look like it has any markings either. Can't see the side very clearly.

JMH

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Aug 4th, 2016 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
Seems every time you gents post your pics of your Peabody carbines reminds me that I have a rimfire 56-50 carbine sitting in the safe. Have had it for quite awhile but have done nothing with it. Bore is very good and probably will make a good shooter. Only thing wrong with it is that the muzzle is badly dinged up. Guess with the sling on the saddle ring must have gotten that way when the user sat down. Nice Peabody's all of you. Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Aug 5th, 2016 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
All good rifles (and carbines) need to be used.  Admittedly, 56-50 RF ammunition is hard to find, but conversion to CF is pretty straight foreward.

I think there are some markings on mine.  Have to dig it out and see.  Mine came out of NE New Mexico where all the land grant wars were in the 1870's.  The family name of the fellow I got it from owns a very large ranch north of Mora which makes it interesting.   

George

IP Logged

mm1ut1

Reply #11 - Aug 5th, 2016 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
This is my original carbine. The sights are dead on at 100 yards when using 350 gr bullits and only 28gr of 1 1/2F . Converted to centerfire.

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Aug 9th, 2016 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
George and mm1ut1, my peabody carbine is a spittin image of yours. Thanks for posting the pics. Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint