Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Barrel Maker, George Titherington (Read 5505 times)
frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Barrel Maker, George Titherington
Jul 28th, 2016 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
I have a System Will (1908 Type), German single shot rifle with a George Titherington barrel on it. This rifle and barrel, have served me well since I bought it in 1990.

I had never heard of George Titherington or his barrels so, I asked around in the N/W and only found one person that said he had heard the name but, only that and knew nothing about him.

I gave up trying to find info on him, until about 2008 or so, I stated looking again and someone suggested that I contact Micheal Petrov and "bingo", he new enough about Titherington to tell me that American Rifleman had published a feature article about him in the June, 1937 addition. I then jumped on Ebay and found that edition. To say the least, I was very empressed after reading it.

As most on this forum know, small bore shooting became very popular after WWI (it was popular with single shots, long before that) and many Krags ans '03's were converted but, then Winchester came out with the Model 52 and soon after, Remington came out with the Model 37.

The competion became fierce and the modification, became common. All the high accuracy barrel makers produced barrels for it and highly competitive 22RF, continues to this day.

I believe that my rifle, was probably modified shortly after WWII, when there was a large influx of  these beauitful rifles and that mine was used in those matches, mensioned above. I think that it was modified, to make the 10 lb, small bore limit and that the Tyrolian cheek piece was taken down and the hooked butt plate ground off, to make the rules and that the floating forearm, installed at that time, also. I've recently, replaced the butt plate with a original type that I got off of this forum.

Now, the question that I want to ask ........... Does anyone know of any other George Titherington barreled rifle rifle, either in single shots or any other type rifles. I would imagine that there would be serveral, maybe many of the 52 or 37's out there with his barrels and I think there should also be some single shots, too.

This is the AR article about him, my rifle and the Titherington marking on it.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Barrel Maker, George Titherington
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
I remember reading an article by Capt. G. L. Wotkyns that mentioned George Titherington.  He was the one who made the chambering reamer for Capt. Wotkyns' "small game express rifle," i.e., the first .22 Hornet, which was a BSA Martini action converted to centerfire and stocked by Griffin and Howe.  It was in one of the American Rifleman magazines from 1930 or thereabouts.
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2016 at 10:11pm by Bent_Ramrod »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
Frank I would get a hold of Duane Jenner, he used his barrels and I would not at all be surprised if he might one or more still laying around. In his hey day of smallbore shooting here along with Gary Anderson along with his numerious National Records and ventures to Camp Perry he was always one of thee men to beat. He is also the only one that I know of who has shot numerious smallbore barrels of various makes and other competitors would still be dying to get one of those he considered to be shot out. He is currently living in Cimmaron NM and is attending the ISSA Nationals so he might be hard to catch up with. He is a very close friend but he is also very short on talking unless in his presence and he simply might not show a real intrest in sharing what he knows over the phone.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

MAD MIKE
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
   Frank, Years ago,I saw a low wall with a Titherington barrel pictured a number of times in various books & magazines. Then one day I was driving thru Reno, Nevada, & stopped by a guy named, George? Eniwald. He used to advertise in Shotgun News, when they had thier original format.It said stop by when you're in the neigborhood ; so I did, a number of times. He always had some neat "junk". He owned that lo wall & it was a beauty, .22lr, DST with a pistol grip (custom) stock. I was low on cash since I was on the way home, but it was a beautiful rifle & I would have bought it if I had enough cash.    oh well,   MIKE

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jul 29th, 2016 at 1:03am
Print Post  
Thank you, BR, John and Mike. I'll see if I can get a contact number for Jenner.

It's been a long time since I did any searching, online for George so, after I posted, I tried it again and came up with this and another lead, possibly on the Rimfire Central site. I have to wait to see if he contacts me.

Does anyone remember Collier's Magazine? I do but, would have NEVER related it to shooting, in anyway.

It's from Aug of 1935 and it tells that his business took a real jump, after his barrel won the 1932, Dewar, course of fire at the Bisely Match, by John Adams, of San Diego, CA.

It also mensions "floated barrels" and mine has the feature.

I found two Ballards that were in auctions, with the serial numbers. Maybe someone here has one of them? I also copied pictures of the second one from the RAI Auction.

6 ½ G Titherington. SN24892 - Stockton cal Barrel

Serial #:      8356      Manufacturer:      Marlin Firearms Co
Model:      No. 5 Pacific      Type:      Rifle
Gauge:      22      Catalog Page:      51
Barrel Length:      28 3/8 inch round      Finish:      blue/casehardened
Grip:      N/A      Stock:      walnut
Class:      Antique
Condition Rating:      
Description:      Manufactured from 1881 to 1891 and subsequently customized in the 20th century. The heavy barrel is marked "G.TITHERINGTON STOCKTON, CAL." at the breech end and is equipped with a globe spirit level front sight and has no provisions for a rear sight. The receiver is decorated with floral scroll and punch dot engraving with a round panel of a deer running on the left side and a buffalo on the right side. The upper left side of the receiver is marked "J M MARLIN, NEW HAVEN CONN. U.S.A./BALLARD'S. PATENT. NOV. 5, 1861." with the serial number marked on the underside of the receiver. The receiver is equipped with a mid-range Vernier peep sight. The lever is the ring shaped variation, double set triggers, blue barrel and casehardened remaining parts, and mounted with a replacement multi-point checkered walnut forearm with a horn forend and palm rest base, and high combed Schuetzen style pistol grip stock with a cheekpiece and nickel plated brass Swiss buttplate.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 29th, 2016 at 2:37am
Print Post  
Frank,

A sometimes poster from Wisconsin has a made-from-casting Farrow with a George Titherington .22 barrel. The barrel came off Farrow #95.  Titherington apparently rebarreled #95, a .22 rimfire specimen, in the 1930s.  That is a major piece of the Farrow puzzle.

IP Logged

J.Francis

Reply #6 - Jul 29th, 2016 at 5:44am
Print Post  
I have a Winchester Model 52 with a Titherington barrel. He used to advertise his custom barrels in the American Rifleman along Arthur Hubalek and Eric Johnson.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jul 29th, 2016 at 11:46am
Print Post  
Waterman,
Are you saying that he got the barrel, at some point and then bought a casting kit to install it on?

If so, how did he know that it came off of a Farrow?

J Francis,
Have you shot it much? If so, what ammo did it like. In the little bit of target ammo that I shot with mine, it seemed to like RWS R50 best but, I shot Wolf Match at Spokane, a few years ago and it did very well, excepting some fliers on the BR 50 target.

Also, about what was the last years that he advertized in AR?

Here's a better picture of the roll mark.

Frank
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2016 at 12:05pm by frnkeore »  

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

rustyrelx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Jul 29th, 2016 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
ROBERT ENIWALD Reno Nevada.  He had an amazing accumulation.
He passed within the last 15 years and he was a gunsmith. His father was a gunsmith and his fathers father was a gunsmith. There were thousand of fire arms to be viewed at his house. He also had great artwork inside his house from bygone days. Most of the fire arms were Indian wars and later.
Very interesting man. I visited with him numerous times.
  Don
I'm pretty sure that 6 1/2 Titherington was oneI pass up as too expensive in the early 70's as $1200 was too much.     dahhhhhh

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jul 29th, 2016 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
Frank,

The Titherington barrel came mounted on Farrow #95.  That is a "long" action, in need of a lot of work.  The guy who now owns both the T barrel and Farrow action #95 wanted a "short" action, so he got a casting kit and proceeded to make a beautiful offhand rifle.

My interest in this was MAJOR, because I have Farrow #91, a .22 LR with an original Farrow barrel, also a long action.  If 91 and 95 were both .22 LR, does it seem reasonable that #s 92, 93 & 94 might also be .22 LR?  If so, where are they?

If you are a Farrow geek, the long actions appear to end at #117.  That is about when the short actions appeared.

All that is a bit of a step from learning about Titherington barrels.  The present owner & I have been discussing Farrows.  Until he told me about #95, I had never heard of Titherington.  Now I have and I just learned a lot more.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jul 30th, 2016 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
Thank you, Waterman for that bit of history.

Also of note, George Titherington, built his own simi-copy of the Model 52. The only Winchester part of it was the bolt.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint