Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Re: "No Name" .45-70 Rolling Block Acquired (Read 9035 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: "No Name" .45-70 Rolling Block Acquired
Jul 27th, 2016 at 10:20am
Print Post  
It appears to indeed be a #1 Rolling Block, and built from a military action, as it doesn't have the longer lower tang, or extra hole in the lower tang that a Sporting model would have. Of course I'd always check any new gun out completely, and if unfamiliar with it, I'd have a good Rolling Block expert check it. 
One thing to be concerned about any Rolling Block build is the breech block clearance, but also the angle of the block to the back of the barrel! As the pins wear, the clearances and the block angle can increase. If it wasn't corrected during the build, that can create a couple issues. Excess headspace can cause primers to back out. But it can also cause the head of the case too distort, and then the fired case wont chamber in any other orientation than as it was fired. I've seen Rolling Blocks that had too much head space fire cases, and then turn the case 90 degrees, and rechamber, to find out the breech block wouldn't close.
Put a sized, empty case in the chamber, and use a flashlight on the opposite side of the action. Lower the breech block, and hammer. Now pull back on the breech block and look at the clearance between barrel and breech block. If it can move back enough to see an angle, it needs to be worked on. May need new pins, breech block squared, or barrel set back too.
I personally wouldn't blue a Rolling Block receiver. Just looks wrong, as they were case colored originally. I have them annealed, and polish/file the sides, and then have them color cased. It's not that expensive at my gunsmith, and he makes them look correct.
As for the allen screws. I don't care what the reason was for installing them, they'd have to go away! Just way too ugly, and incorrect. Slotted screws aren't any harder to R&R, and looks much nicer.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2016 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
Quote:
...the only markings on it are the number “26116” stamped on both the top and bottom tangs, which were bent from their original straight configuration. Sadly there are NO maker’s marks anywhere on the front/rear sights, the barrel, buttplate or action, so its provenance is unknown.

And you won't find any maker's marks, etc on the the actions of a #1 except the inspector's stamp .  The only numbers on the tang are the lot numbers for a given batch of actions Remington made and completed for any rifle made for any of the countries in the world

This rifle is not a plant original!

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2016 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
I'm glad somebody finally got around to the subject of recoil with that round and a pronged butt. For a while there, I thought I was gonna need to mention it. Good luck- and I mean that in the most sincere way.

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2016 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
It's always been surprising to me how many people put a curved butt plate against their chest/shoulder instead of their upper arm.  No wonder they say the recoil hurts!

JS

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2016 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
Even properly "shouldered" with the Swiss buttplate on the upper arm, recoil of a lighter .45-70 load isn't comfortable after about 20 shots. I have a Rigby Ballard in .40-63 Ballard Everlasting, and load are about 1200 fps with a 400 grain cast lead. The first few shots make me think what's the fuss about? Then about 10 shots in I wonder how the oldtimers shot a match with this caliber? By the end of 20 rounds I'm starting to think I must be a wimp, as my upper arm is beginning to fatigue. It's the smile on my face from enjoying the gun that keeps me going after that, but the next day I know why I'm sore!

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2016 at 8:36pm
Print Post  

I will cast my lot with marlin guy on the 45-70 recoil, steel buttplates, light rifle thoughts. I used to hunt big game with an original Hepburn in 45-70 that weighed a tad over 6 3/4 lbs. Loaded with a +or- 405 gr. hp bullet over 47 gr. of 3031 it was, I would describe, less than pleasant to shoot. Not so bad in the field, but a real bear at the bench. After a torn rotator cuff, switched to a 38-55 high wall and never looked back.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

oldman46
Senior Forum Member

Re: "No Name" .45-70 Rolling Block Acquired *Updated*
Reply #6 - Nov 19th, 2016 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
Main thing is that you are having fun. That is what it is all about. Slug your barrel to get the bore dimensions and go from there. Your bullets may be a little undersized and that may be the cause of the leading. Frank

IP Logged

SgtDog0311
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Nov 20th, 2016 at 7:43am
Print Post  
Old_No7,    From another youngest of four brothers, Cool story and good dad for getting all four of you hooked a bit.   Something to share if they are still with you.   Glad to see you added what you wanted to your collection too.   I sure enjoy shooting the Roller and don't have one just now.  I hope she groups well.   I had a 350gr bullet I shot in mine that performed pretty darn good out to 600yds for sure.   Shot an 8" group with it once when I happened to maintain a consistent hold during good light.  Never did it again and sold the rifle.   But not the mold - ha!    And it's a stubby little bullet, an Accurate copy of the Ranch Dog.   Don't recall whether it was 4759 or 4198.   Hope to have another Rolling Block some day but for right now I have projects in waiting enough.   Good for you and congratulations!

Best Regards,
John

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Nov 20th, 2016 at 7:46am
Print Post  
What a very nice and unique rifle.   There is a very good reason why the big-bore long-range "creed-moor"type rifles were all equipped with shotgun stocks. and you have successfully rediscovered it. Cheesy Cheesy

If t'were me I'd consider acquiring or creating a second buttstock in a creed-moor or shotgun pattern and fit it for use off the bench and "load development".  Since the existing butt is glass-bedded switching the butts back and forth should not be a problem.   sometimes you CAN have your cake and eat it too! Wink
For my first couple years of ASSRA shooting my only single shot was a very light Browning/winchester/Miroku sporting hi-wall in 45-70.  however it has a Badger faster twist barrel for the heavy weight long range bullets.
  It did not have a schuetzen stock and I found that by getting solidly behind the gun with my shoulder, rather than beside it with the butt on my arm made a huge difference in comfort and scores----even with the heavier loads the barrel was designed for.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #9 - Nov 20th, 2016 at 10:42am
Print Post  
Schuetzen style stocks with prongs certainly make benchrest shooting a painful challenge sometimes, but it can be done. I ordered some repro hard rubber buttplates and after soaking them in boiling water I formed them to fit the stocks of a couple single shot rifles. It allows me to shoot both benchrest and offhand without wearing out the wood fit swapping back and forth. I personally worry about the toll swapping stocks takes on a well fitted stock, if it's done often.
This is the repro hard rubber (plastic) plate I fitted to my Schoyen Ballard for benchrest or shooting off cross sticks:

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Nov 20th, 2016 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Nov 20th, 2016 at 10:42am:
I personally worry about the toll swapping stocks takes on a well fitted stock, if it's done often.

I agree 100%.  That is why I just grin and bear it dealing with a stock like that.  Remember, it is more important to shoot a traditional rifle than to win medals  Grin

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Ol_Deuce
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
This is a great Threat!  My Buffy  a 16lbs 45-70 and does let
you know what end of the rifle your at !!!!!!   They do make
you smile Roll Eyes at the end of each relay!!!!!   Ol Deuce

Do The Best With What You Got !!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1