Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Winchester Bullet Moulds (Read 4181 times)
.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Winchester Bullet Moulds
Jul 22nd, 2016 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
I picked up a VERY nice Winchester mould in .32 WCF.  It looks to be unused.  When did Winchester stop manufacturing bullet moulds?  Thanks.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Winchester Bullet Moulds
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2016 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
Can't say for certain, as we have no idea how long the moulds may have been kept as unadvertised overrun inventory.
But the last WRA catalog I see offering the moulds is in Catalogue No. 79 from 1914, which also happens to be the last edition that shows the Winchester Model 1894 Reloading tool.
Maybe the Great War put an end to the production of those particular products.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2016 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
That's great information, Brian.

Winchester must have made a ton of molds. They are very common on Ebay but, there is very little varity in their molds. Kinda boring for a collector.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2016 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Frank,

Agree with your observation.
I have a few WRA moulds that I picked up along the way...
a 32 WCF (Ideal #3118 equivalent), a 25-20 WCF (Ideal 25720 86gr equivalent), and a 22 WCF (Ideal #228151 equivalent).
They all cast well.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jul 22nd, 2016 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
I have four of 'em and have cast with two. Both were on the small side for me. The .32-165 is virtually new, and while skinny, it's a beautiful casting. The 185 gr. version is not as pristine, and casts a good bullet, but with a little fining if the alloy gets very hot. You know, where I like to cast? The little taper on the ends is odd, but doesn't seem to keep them from fair shooting. Only fair.
I read somewhere they made 'em until 1919, but have no idea where that info was gained by the author. Fits with the end being around WW1 though.

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 22nd, 2016 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
That reminds me to fiddle with a loose sprue plate on one that I have. It casts .379", good for the original 38-55. I thought they were made a good bit later, but I guess, not bad for a hundred something years old.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jul 22nd, 2016 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
To those who can use the bullets they cast, the molds are a pleasure to cast with. Easy to heat, light in weight and a comfortable size. If there were more variety...... like Frank says, the selection is dull. 
The sprue plate needs to be gotten used to, being shaped different than most of us are used to.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #7 - Jul 23rd, 2016 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
I only have two Winchester bullet moulds.  The 32-40 mould I've had for years works well and looks better with my Winchester 1894 tool.  The 32 WCF mould was acquired fairly recently to go with the Winchester tong tool I happened onto in somebody's junk box at a gun show.  I've never used the 32-20 set, but could... it's even got the decapping spud with it.  Smiley

Froggie

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jul 25th, 2016 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
I have two, also.  One is a .32-185, casts about .321.  The other is marked .35-56 and casts a 255 grain traditional flat based bullet about .378.  I like the walnut handles.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #9 - Jul 26th, 2016 at 10:40am
Print Post  
In the Roberts book on breech loading single shot rifles, the observation was repeatedly made that he favored the small block moulds such as the Winchester moulds mentioned as well as the older Ideal moulds.  He said that the later, larger moulds were much less desirable.  I am not as strong in my preference as he apparently was. 

Froggie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint