Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) New member with a new rifle. (Read 7364 times)
JakeBrake

New member with a new rifle.
Jul 13th, 2016 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
Hello everyone. I am a new member to the forum, and very new to single shot rifles. I have recently picked up a Pedersoli 1874 sharps and have yet to fire it. It is chambered in .40-.65wcf. I wanted to learn as much as I can about the rifle before I take it out. Any advice that you folks can give me would be great! Thanks in advance -

IP Logged

nuclearcricket
Oldtimer

Re: New member with a new rifle.
Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2016 at 6:32am
Print Post  
That should be a good starter rifle for a lot of fun. You will need to get brass bullets and black powder. I am pretty sure that factory  brass is available as well as loaded ammunition. You will also need some wads if your going to load black in it and bullets in the 350 to 400 gr range.  Lots of loading information available on here as well as the shiloh board. It should be a fun and pleasant rifle to shoot and  have fun with.
Sam

IP Logged

oughtsix
Global Moderator
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2016 at 7:38am
Print Post  
Check out the favorite loads topic of the reloading section there may be some loading info in there for you.  Welcome! 

Life Member ASSRA, OGCA &  TSGC
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters........ Frank Lloyd Wright

IP Logged

derrickman

Reply #3 - Jul 14th, 2016 at 9:29am
Print Post  
factory brass is available at Starline. If you're not casting your own bullets, look up Buffalo Arms since he has them for sale as well as everything else you'll need.

IP Logged

blunderbus41

Reply #4 - Jul 14th, 2016 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
run! don't walk to your nearest BPCR range silhouette  match and introduce yourself to a whole new world of fun. They will advise and teach you how to load, fire and participate in enjoying your new gun. john at Friendship,Indiana

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 14th, 2016 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
HI Jake,

You will probably have fun with that gun as a starter but it is not likely to be competitive for BPCR, the rear sight is not capable of what you need for the competition. You can use the gun to learn about loading BP though. Try Buffalo Arms for dies, wads, brass, bullets, tools and/or loaded ammo. Recommend you try to find Swiss BP, Goex is the second choice. try to stay away from Wano (imported to the US as Schuetzen), it is good for making smoke but hard to make shoot well and much dirtier than Swiss or Goex.

Fortunately the 40-65 is a competitive cartridge so anything you buy for loading can be used when you step up to a better quality gun.

SS

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jul 14th, 2016 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
I have owned them and have done work on them. Fit and finish is a lot better on these rifles than it used to be. Sometimes bore size is a bit tricky on them. Find someone who can maybe help you with slugging the bore. It will help determine your best bullet diameter. Lot of trial and error but that is the fun of it. Learning what your rifle likes. I have seen these rifles give very good accuracy with a little trial and error. It just takes time and a little powder and lead. Like was stated earlier a good set of quality sights will make all the difference too.

JMH

IP Logged

MI-shooter

Reply #7 - Jul 14th, 2016 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the forum.

My favorite load:
370gr, .410 dia, 30:1 alloy, Emmerts lube
0.060 fiber wad
62gr Swiss 1.5
Fed Lg Pistol primer
Starline case

Works fine on the steel animals for BPCR

Ed

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 14th, 2016 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
Welcome Jake and Congratulations to you and your Pedersoli 1874 Sharps in 40-65 caliber.
* Learning about a '74 Sharps is secondary to making reloads for it.
Starters:
* The 40-65 caliber ... (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Reloads: Powder & Bullet ... 65gr 1.5Fg powder with a 260gr bullet = 1420 fps
Powder Source: Goex Olde Eynsford Powder, Inc.
1861 North College Ave.
Clarksville, AR 72830
479-705-0005, Fax: 479-754-6281
Toll Free: 877-833-1799
E-Mail: Powderinc@powderinc.com

All the 'stuff' needed for your reloads - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Reloading Steps:

Case Preparation
•       Anneal the mouth of the cases to the seating depth of the bullet  – 650/680 degrees ( bluish/green color using a propane torch) Dunk the case immediately in a bucket of ice water
•      Full length size the cases … Not a absolute step to be performed – use a case lube
•      Chamfer the mouth of the case with a 22 ½ degree chamfering reamer … to remove any burrs
•      Square the primer pockets with a pocket reamer … provides for proper seating of the primer
•      Deburr the flash hole with a flash hole reamer … removes flash hole burrs for better primer ignition to the powder charge
•      Size the mouth of the case using an M Die or Expander Plug for 0.001 to 0.002 neck tension so there is a very slight bell on the mouth to all the base of the bullet to be seated ½ way into the case
NOTE:  Case length trimming (not absolutely necessary unless cases exceed the SAMMI case length a lot.  VERY IMPORTANT:  Do not trim any cases until AFTER they have been fireformed

Determining Extended COL of Loaded Round
•      Drop the bullet into the chamber and tap the base with the eraser of a pencil
•      Using a caliper, measure from the base of the seated bullet to the rim of the chamber (A)
•      Measure the length of the bullet (B)
•      Add A + B  = C
•      Measure seated depth of the bullet in the case (D)
•      C – D = Extended COL of the round

Measuring Powder Charge Height
•      Measure the distance from the top of the settled powder to the mouth of the case
•      Determine how much you want to compress the powder column
•      Adjust your compression die to the required length to achieve the amount of compression you want.  
o      NOTE:  Adjusting the compression die requires … Fiddling – do it in small steps 

Charging the Cases
•      Primers:  Favored primers are:  CCI BR2 and Federal GM210M (LR Match)

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jul 14th, 2016 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
Montana Bullet Works is back in business and has a wide selection of 40 caliber bullets that shoot well in my 40-65. They sell them in several diameters, from as small as 0,403 to 0,411 -- one or more should shoot well in your rifle. They sell some 300 grain bullets that shoot really well over 55 gr of FFg in Starline 40-65 brass, as small groups at shorter ranges (200-300M) as heavier bullets and are more pleasant to shoot. Their prices are nearly identical to Buffalo Arms and quality is similar or a bit better (I shoot lots of Buffalo Arms bullets in recent years).

Grisen

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jul 14th, 2016 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
Welcome to ASSRA!

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

JakeBrake

Reply #11 - Jul 14th, 2016 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Thanks for all the replys! Where is the best place to find out more about BPCR?

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jul 15th, 2016 at 12:17am
Print Post  
Show up and see it  Grin  Lots of info on the web.  Several guys here.  Schuetzendave has a lot of good technical info.  The only time he isn't shooting is when he is casting, loading or falls asleep.  There is a good web page by Texas Mac that has a lot of good info.  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links); Lots of others too.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jul 15th, 2016 at 10:08am
Print Post  
You can also check out the Shiloh Forums.  Most of the membership is rather heavily biased toward Shiloh rifles (although the owners of the site freely allow discussions of BPCRs of any manufacture) and formal target shooting of one sort or another, there's a lot of good general info about loading, shooting and managing your rifle there.  There will be people to answer your questions there.

You need to decide what you want to do with your rifle.  Hunting, plinking, experiments with loadings at a fixed distance or two, formal competition, etc.  That decision will guide your choice of bullets, sighting and reloading equipment.

IP Logged

blunderbus41

Reply #14 - Jul 15th, 2016 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
where are you located? jake.  We can help you find some BPCR ranges. I am in sw OH and shoot at Friendship,IN. john

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint