Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Cartridge for .32 (Read 12081 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Cartidge for .32
Reply #30 - Jul 11th, 2016 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
Ken I am too but the 32-40 is still very much alive and still doing extremely well. If I had one of your new 32-40 choked barrels at the time I do beleave the results would have been even better. Prior to going for the record I shot 13 consecutive 5-5 shot group averages at .500 and under. A true test to the consistent day in and day out capabilities of the 32-40. If it is considered obsolete one would still be hard pressed to find a better choice. The rifle was being shot off my custom made Protektor front sand bag rest of which I feel helps to dampen the harmonics and the forend was used as the return to battery stop.

CPA 52 Schuetzen Junior, 32-40 15 Twist Douglas Barrel, 13.9grs. 300MP, CCI BR-2's Darr 200gr. Cylindrical FN Bullet and Javelina Schuetzen Lube.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

JLouis
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2016 at 12:53pm by JLouis »  

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Jul 11th, 2016 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Why use short cases in a longer chamber?
Well, sometimes it's all that there is in quantity. Like 35 years ago when I got this damn rifle. When I got an ever-increasing supply of, even then, old Western cases of the full length they shot no better. Kept using the mix without worry for all this time.
And, if my accounting is correct, for a quite few thousand shots- with the rifle improving in small increments with time. Probably brought on by the theory that even us blind chickens find corn. 
I agree with you that the .32-40 is still a viable choice- even in the age of the more recent, and successful rounds. 
John, nobody is being argumentative here. Yet..but I'm getting sore at having you "determine" that we are. 
Jubilado, I think you have a lot of good choices for your barrel's chamber. None truly poor ones. A hundred thirty-odd years of the old Ballard round sure is a good recommendation for it. I rest my case on its record.  Cool

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Jul 11th, 2016 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
The original poster says:   "I have a RKS gain twist to 11.5" coming soon, and also have a Boomer mould which is like the PJ 235 gr. spitzer."

I guess he will chamber the barrel to  whatever he wants, he is getting suggestions of what, long case or short.

IF he goes the short case route I bet he'd chamber for a short case, not a long one then use shortened cases.

I have 2 two rifles chambered in a necked down 357 max chamber and shoot the heavy bullet in both, and it works very well, the best I have ever shot.  With in a couple matches I shot a 249 with one shot .040" out of being half in.  There is not much of a learning curve at all with the short cased chambers in my book......

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Jul 11th, 2016 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Ken, I'll butt in here to tell you that I admire your setup. It's a bit advanced over mine. But, it's become comfortable for me to use, and we all know how that works. 
With the results you get, don't be surprised to see a lot more of them like yours show up.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Jul 11th, 2016 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
What  is the actual length of the shortened 32-40 cases being discussed for the sake of clarification.

JLouis

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Jul 11th, 2016 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
Mine vary depending on whether they are necked up .30-30 or from pushing the shoulders off of .32 Spl. The shorter ones run about 2.05 to almost 2.09. Compared to the trim length of 2.12 for  the .32-40 case it isn't a large amount. Plus, they never need trimming for any reason beyond squaring mouths.
The most recent cases made may be a little shorter- like most factory brass seems to be these days. I just got some .280 Remington that is almost as short as .30-06. May be made from the same stuff, just finished a different way. Cost cutting at it's silliest. No harm, just silly. Wink

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Jul 11th, 2016 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the clarification CF I had it in my mind that they were quite a bit shorter than what you just pointed out.

Thanks Again!
JLouis

IP Logged

Jubilado

Re: Cartridge for .32
Reply #37 - Jul 11th, 2016 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
PM sent.

Paul

IP Logged

JLouis