Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Cartridge for .32 (Read 12066 times)
Jubilado

Re: Cartidge for .32
Reply #15 - Jul 10th, 2016 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Definitely not excess lube (a common cause).  And I've tried Imperial, great stuff, but for heavy duty case forming anhydrous lanolin beats it hands down. Besides, it doesn't happen every time and they're all lubed the same.  The pattern isn't uniform either, causing me to suspect it's something variable with the brass.

The problem I've had with short brass, and it's too long a story to relate in detail, has to do with copper jackets or lead swaging into the space between the case and the end of the chamber and shearing off, leaving a ring of metal.  You seem to be thinking damage to the rifle, and that wasn't the case.

Paul 

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jul 10th, 2016 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
Jubilado wrote on Jul 10th, 2016 at 7:21pm:

The problem I've had with short brass, and it's too long a story to relate in detail, has to do with copper jackets or lead swaging into the space between the case and the end of the chamber and shearing off, leaving a ring of metal.  You seem to be thinking damage to the rifle, and that wasn't the case.

Paul 

Thanks for the hot tip.

I too, use quick powder, Bullseye, for case forming.  Toilet paper stuffed in the case and a little ball of wet TP to top it off.  Usually forms the case in one shot.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Jubilado

Reply #17 - Jul 10th, 2016 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
The worst case was a custom .338-06.  While it was still fairly new, and working up loads with a certain two-section jacketed bullet with exposed lead at the base, I was getting a nice little copper ring on my cleaning brush on the back stroke.  In effect, the sheared jacket material was creating a "bushing" at the front of the chamber. This was years ago, and the rifle has gone down the road.  It only happened with one brand and type of bullet.  I was using necked up .30-06 brass, so it was a bit short for the chamber.  Later I went to necking down .35 Whelen brass to avoid the short case issue.

However, it was quite an eye opener, and made me forever leery of short cases.  Since I took up shooting cast bullets, even more so.

I seem to recall reading about this phenomenon with lead bullets, but can't recall the details or source.

Paul
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2016 at 9:19pm by Jubilado »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jul 10th, 2016 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
I personaly think if the cartridge is shorter than the chamber it was designed for the erosion will take place in the front end of the chamber area and not in the throat where it actually belongs.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jul 10th, 2016 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
No, I wasn't really worrying about a damaged rifle. I only mentioned mine is still fine after way over a century because I thought you might be worried about that. No damage here. 
If John is getting much damage it's perhaps his powder choice, mine is OK with mostly 4227. Don't know what it got in its early life. 
Never had a problem with the little rings, but have heard of 'em. Throat size, angle or alloy?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jul 10th, 2016 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
CF not trying to be arguementive but extreme competitve match accuracy is very demanding and the slightest deviation there of in ones equipment can cause one to not to remain in the top three of that list only if that is ones actual only desire to continualy obtain? I myself would much prefer to compete only  against my own limited capablities but that has never trully become my only desire. When my time comes to the point of not being one of the best in the sport of cast bullet competitive competition I will at that time just make it all simply just for the fun of it so that I can gladly continue to support those with a higher degree of hard earned ability than myself.

JLouis

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Jul 10th, 2016 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
John, I wasn't trying to indict you over your opinion. I was just musing while responding to the posts here. 
Mostly, I'm just here to affirm your praise of the .32-40 as a good choice.
I was curious about his troubles with the short cases. Now we all know. I haven't had the same, and my rifle- even if it isn't up to anybody's high standard, has never worsened from the use of the shorties. Just a good 'ol conversation, ya know. 
Roll Eyes

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jul 11th, 2016 at 1:14am
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jul 10th, 2016 at 9:07pm:
I personaly think if the cartridge is shorter than the chamber it was designed for the erosion will take place in the front end of the chamber area and not in the throat where it actually belongs.

JLouis

Not being arguementary, John but, erosion, is erosion. Can you tell us why it needs to be in the throat and what benefits it will have in the throat, as opposed to case area? 

The way that I look at it, is if the barrel is eroded it needs to be replaced or set back.

Me and many others, have shot a lot of 30 American cases in the 32/40 w/o any ill effects (erosion). The small amount of powder, low heat and low pressure, makes erosion hard to come by.

I believe cleaning rods have "eroded" throats (muzzles, too), much more than short cases.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Jul 11th, 2016 at 2:07am
Print Post  
A couple of the top CBA shooters here are using CPA 32-20.  They are not picky at all according to reports from the winners circle.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Jul 11th, 2016 at 5:10am
Print Post  
Since the O.P. stated that he plans to breech seat, why would a case a few thou short make any difference at all?

<div class=

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Jul 11th, 2016 at 8:03am
Print Post  
When breech seating:

Why does it matter what length the case is.  All a case does is hold a measured amount of a propelent and a primer.  IF the chamber is made to fit the case or visa versa, no problem, right?

If the case is short the chamber just is now part of the case, right?

I have had 32-40, 32 miller short, 38-55... Now all I shoot is a straight tapered 357 max case, necked to 32 cal.

SO why not use a 357 mag case necked down?

All the case is used for is to hold a measured amount of powder, and a primer.

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Jul 11th, 2016 at 11:50am
Print Post  
My test with a necked down 357 Max case:

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Jul 11th, 2016 at 11:52am
Print Post  
250  RKS barrel.

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Jul 11th, 2016 at 11:54am
Print Post  
With the necked down 357 Max case it is not possible to double charge, as it is in a 32-40 case, no need for all that room for a small charge of powder.

32-40  obsolete.......

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Jul 11th, 2016 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
If someone wants to use a case that is shorter by more than just a few thousandths than what the chamber is designed for it is their choice to make. If they also feel it has no ill effects on achieving the best in accruacy that is also their right. My opinion based on my experiances all though they might not agree with others are simply just mine. Erosion does indeed take place and it is very substantial in the throat of my 32-40 but I also tend to shoot more than those who have yet to notice it as it now has over 144,000 bullets down the bore. Why someone would purposely choose to use a case much shorter than the chamber design simply goes against the correct and direct relationship of the cartridge to chamber fit as outlined in the SAAMI specs. If one feels there may or may not be any ill affects to the ultimate in match accuracy it would simply be something they would need to prove to themselves as I have done for myself. My post was not intended to be argumentive or to be criticle of CF or others I was simply sharing a bit of my personal exsperiances and my opinion and nothing more. I beleave and hope CF and others understand that intent but unfortunately and quite typical it is becoming argumentative but not by my choice. 

JLouis

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint