Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Cartridge for .32 (Read 12061 times)
Jubilado

Cartridge for .32
Jul 9th, 2016 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
I have a RKS gain twist to 11.5" coming soon, and also have a Boomer mould which is like the PJ 235 gr. spitzer.

Question:  What cartridge would work best? It will be breech seated.

I have been contemplating a .32-40, but could a smaller cartridge drive that bullet fast enough for good stability and accuracy?

TIA for any suggestions.

Paul

« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2016 at 6:06pm by Jubilado »  

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Cartidge for .32
Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2016 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
What action is it going on?

IP Logged

Dales
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2016 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Paul
Nothing wrong with 32-40, I have the same barrel and use a 236 grain bullet from a Hoch mold Also a basic R Long style.
I chambered mine in 32RKS and have been very happy with the results. You can get all the velocity needed with this case but I do not think I would go with anything smaller.
Dales

IP Logged

Jubilado

Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2016 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Dales

The RKS interests me, but it appears that .357 Maximum brass is non existent, ditto .32-40 brass.

The action is a Browning BPCR, although I don't see how that's pertinent to my original question.
Paul
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2016 at 4:57am by Jubilado »  

IP Logged

moodyholler
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2016 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Pressure, pressure, pressure

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Dales
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Jul 10th, 2016 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
Paul
357 max cases are harder to find but are out there. 360 dan Wesson cases are a little short but work fine and Starline had them in stock last I checked.
Dale

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jul 10th, 2016 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
If you don't mind the trials and tribulations associated with the small capacity cases it might be a good choice for you. If you would prefer to not want to experiance any of them the 32-40 would indeed be your best choice. The Pros and Cons of each have been discussed in great detail several times on this site. A quick search might bring those detailed conversations back up for your benefit. In short the small capacity cases use to rule our line of competitve shooters and the 32-40 was quite rare. The 32-40 now rules the line and a the small capacity cases are quite rare. I can honestly say that the 32-40 does not take a back seat to any of them and in most cases is indeed far superior by my having substantial competitive experiance with them both over the past sixteen years. All of my personal competitive accomplishments have been achieved with my 32-40 including a National Title and most recently a new ASSRA record along with numerous others. The small capacity cases provided me with very few and they were all short lived. They were the 33RKS Schuetzen, 32 Miller Short and the 28 Darr chambered for the 357 Max. straight tapered to 28. The 28 was re-chambered to the 25-35 blown out to 28 and the other two were sold. All three encountered pressure issues that kept me from reaching the velocities I required for the very best in accuracy. This is not and has not been ecountered with the 32-40 or the 28-35SS I can push them both well beyond the velocities I require for both with no pressure issues encountered along the way.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Jubilado

Reply #7 - Jul 10th, 2016 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
Many thanks to all who replied, and especially J Lewis.

I am now leaning toward ordering my own reamer for the .32-40, but with a short neck.  Reason being that I have a boatload of once fired .30-30 brass, thanks to a fellow gun club member.

I dislike cases short for the chamber , perhaps even more than most shooters, based on past negative experiences.

Paul

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jul 10th, 2016 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Paul 38-55 brass is readily available and only requires sizing down, I bought a Lee 32-40 sizing die body only from Lee for 9.00 dollars plus shipping just a few years back. If memory serves me right it was not shown on their Web site and simply required a phone call.

I hope this might be some how helpful.
JLouis

IP Logged

Jubilado

Reply #9 - Jul 10th, 2016 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Well, I just ran a couple of dozen Starline .38-55 cases through a borrowed RCBS .32-40 FL die, and lost about 40% of them.

This isn't my first rodeo with sizing down. I've made several hundred .40-82 cases out of Remington and Starline .45-90 brass. What I've found is that their "sizeability" varies with lots.  Some size beautifully and others wrinkle too much to be salvaged.

My standard procedure is to first anneal, then lube with anhydrous lanolin which works much better than Imperial sizing wax, which is my usual go-to case lube.  I use a small amount of lanolin finger wiped, partially size, withdraw and wipe again, about three times until full length.  Usually works well, but not this time.

I could avoid most of this grief by using .30-30, if I could get the right fit to the chamber.

Paul

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jul 10th, 2016 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
Paul how were the cases lost? If by collapsing a filler such as cream of wheat sand being more ideal should help to solve it. I also think your idea of using a 30-30 case blown out to 32 would also be a good one. If having a custom reamer made make sure there is enough out diameter at the mouth to enable you to insert a bullet so you can make up a seater case. My 33RKS Schuetzen reamer was not designed to be able to do so and required an adjustable plugged case being pushed in by use of a rear sight base. Not being able to insert and seat the bullet central to bore was one of its down falls the other of course being pressure.

JLouis

IP Logged

Jubilado

Reply #11 - Jul 10th, 2016 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
Yep, collapsing with longitudinal striations.

Are you suggesting a filler in the parent case being sized down, or later for fireforming?

Paul

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jul 10th, 2016 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
For sizing down.
For blowing out a case I have used a regular charge of powder, filled the rest of the case with cream of wheat and then placed a wad on top. 

JLouis

IP Logged

Jubilado

Reply #13 - Jul 10th, 2016 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
Sounds messy, but worth a try.

I've fireformed cases with a small charge of fast powder, and cream of wheat or corn meal.  A bit scary, but seemed to work without ill effects.

I've become more risk aversive as I've aged. Smiley

Paul

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jul 10th, 2016 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Jubilado, I think those longitudinal "grooves" from forming are partially due to excess lube. Maybe. Why didn't you try the Imperial if you were losing so many- It may be the trick here, even it it wasn't elsewhere. 
And, please tell us what the negative results were while using slightly short cases. I have a .32-40 That I switch back and forth on length for thirty five years now, and can't see any difference in the loads or the results. No idea how many rounds in the ninety years prior to me. My cheap bore light doesn't show any harm. Just curious, ya know. Wink
I agree with John- and others- that the .32-40 is a terrific choice.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint