Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) What to do with this early low wall? (Read 9484 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: What to do with this early low wall?
Reply #15 - Jul 7th, 2016 at 10:09am
Print Post  
Old screws splitting at the screw slot are not that uncommon. I've had it happen a couple times, and seen guns with half a head occasionally. Glad it came out though, as they can be tough to remove.
Not many marks on Winchester rifles normally, and beyond the serial number on the left lower tang, other numbers usually wont correlate or match the serial number. Work order numbers are usually marked on the left upper tang, but not often on wood, or other places. But there are exceptions to the "norm" on many early guns.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jul 7th, 2016 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
If you would agree to sell it to me I would be more than happy to fix all those little problems! I can never be so lucky. A decent price too. Think I would do a good cleaning and tighten up what you can and shoot it some.

JHolland

IP Logged

chawk

Reply #17 - Aug 11th, 2016 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
Update:  I tightened everything up and the buttstock is actually tight to the receiver.  Then I went shooting.  It took me a long time to find paper but about 5 shots after I did the cam broke off of the firing pin.  I still don't know how this gun shoots but I do know what I am going to do with it now.

This gun letters as a standard low wall from 1888 in 22 short.  No swiss buttplate, no nickel.  Those were added later, maybe the factory or maybe a semi-custom, 'bitsa' gun.  Either way, nothing about this gun is original so I have no problem breaking it up for parts.  The action will be used to build a custom .22 silhouette rifle (Steve Durren may be getting a call soon), and the forearm, barrel, buttstock, and buttplate will be getting sold.   

Now that I know what I am starting with I get to envision what rifle I will get built.  It is great fun contemplating the possibilities...

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #18 - Aug 13th, 2016 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
That small Swiss BP doesn't look like any of the Winchester-made ones I've seen... more like some used on Ballards, IIRC.  Anyway, if you are building a gun to suit yourself, you can do it to suit yourselfWink

A semi-heavy barrel and a "Special Sporter" stock (PG w/ cheekpiece) using the neat buttplate you have (if it's legal in the silhouette matches you shoot) would be great... I did just that with a 3rd Model Winder Musket and I love it.  If you aren't trying to remain with or return to original configuration, you can still stay authentic but add lots of new and desirable options.  BTW, Steve D has bent at least one low wall tang I know of, and one of my 'smiths here bent mine... it's not that big a deal with the standard trigger.  You shouldn't have to even alter your lever.  Smiley

Am I beginning to sound like an enabler?  Roll Eyes

Froggie

IP Logged

chawk

Reply #19 - Aug 13th, 2016 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
Enabling is good!

And you are correct, that is not a standard 1885 swiss buttplate.  It is the swiss buttplate that Winchester used for the first 3 years or so of manufacturing.  It is exactly the same buttplate as was used on ballards and farrows.  

I would love to build a gun around that buttplate.  It is rare and beautiful and would make a great  piece to build a gun around.  The problem is just as you described; my silhouette match won't allow a swiss buttplate so I would have no place to use the rifle.  My current thoughts are:

#2 round barrel, 26-28 inches
No sights, MVA B5 scope.
Straight grip, semi-fancy/fancy wood with crescent buttplate.  
Set trigger

I do not own a scoped rifle so it would be a silhouette/benchrest/all around scoped .22.  I have never had anything custom made before and I have yet to talk to a gunsmith so all of this may be out of my price range but I like to think about it anyway. 

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Aug 14th, 2016 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
SteveDurren is a good guy to talk to.  He has done some really nice work for me.   And being a guild member has not gone to his head either.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #21 - Aug 15th, 2016 at 9:56am
Print Post  
The buttplate does indeed look like the Farrow style used on Marlin Ballard and also Remington schuetzen models. My Ballards and my Hepburn Match B both have what appears to be the same buttplate.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Aug 15th, 2016 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
That plate is the first thing that made me grin about this rifle- I'd never consider doing anything- rebuild or leave as is- that didn't include that plate. Of course, if you intend to ditch it, remember us please. Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint