Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) scope for 22 K Hornet Martini (Read 10189 times)
Joel Black

Re: scope for 22 K Hornet Martini
Reply #15 - Jul 4th, 2016 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Because I am old and started collecting Unertl straight tube Smal Game scopes many years ago, I have plenty of them to go around. If I had a .22 Hornet Martini and wanted an affordable target style scope to go on it, I would look for and old Mossberg. Even though they were very inexpensive, the vast majority of them still are quite usable. This is a very poor picture of one from the web, but it gives you and idea what they look like.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jul 6th, 2016 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
These pictured scope, believe it or not, are all the same lens systems. You can swap out any of the ocular lens cells, into any other. The 438 lens cell is a little different but, you can slide it into any of the other scopes, you just won't be able to hold it with the others nut but, you can tighten the other cells, into a 438. If the lenses are clean, they all have equal optics. My Mossberg 7C, 8X, has a acromat objective lens but, I can't really tell the difference if I put a 4X, ocular cell in it.

The front mounts and turrets are all different and all have 1/2" clicks @ 100.

You might think that the 438's objective is different but, it's just set back more than the others. The longer tube, makes for better positioning on different rifle setups.

BTW, Gerald Kelver, liked the Mossbergs a lot.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #17 - Jul 6th, 2016 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
I vote with singleshotsam... the Lyman Jr T-spot is a nice fit and until recently at least are still sort of affordable.

Froggie

IP Logged

BudHyett
Senior Forum Member

Reply #18 - Jul 12th, 2016 at 3:51am
Print Post  
I generalize that big game scopes should be 2X for each one hundred yards to the limit the rifle will be used, varmint scopes should be $x for the limit the rifle will be used, benchrest target is the highest power allowed by the rules.

Big game at 300 yard limit would be 3 X 2X  = 6X
Varmint at 300 yards would be 3 X 4X = 12X 

This is a guideline and not an absolute. In this case, the .22 K-Hornet would be a 200 yard maximum shot times 4X giving a scope of 8X.

Country boy from Illinois living in the magical Pacific Northwest
IP Logged

Travelor

Reply #19 - Jul 12th, 2016 at 7:49am
Print Post  
Just remember-if you use a current production CF scope, the parallax is set at 100 yards.  I have a number of "long" scopes but for hunting having to adjust the parallax is a real PITA and the little "furries", "shelled", "slitheries", or "feathereds" tend to not wait on you.

I would use a Leupold 6.5x20 EFR scope with a dot for hunting.  But that is just me as I have used one of these for years shooting RF silhouette.

For shooting paper, I love my Lyman Targetspots and Unertls.

IP Logged

48woody
Participating Member

Reply #20 - Jul 12th, 2016 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
Travelor, I tend to agree with you. Though I think the older "long" scopes like Unertl, Fecker, Lyman, et al look great and also look like they belong on this type of gun, since I will be mainly using it for hunting game and varmints, i will likely end up with a more moder scope, maybe a variable, but not sure.  Thanks to all for the great input.  First I would like to find a good gunsmith, with experience in Martini's. I would like them to take a look over, see how the firing pin and bushing are, maybe drill the back of the receiver so it could be cleaned from the breech end, check the trigger mechanism and see if it could be improved. Though the trigger seem pretty good, smooth, crisp, no pretravel, don't know the pull weight. hard to judge as my two other hunting guns are a Ruger No. 1 in 45-70 and a Remingtom 721, 30-06 with a canjar trigger.

If I end up using a modern scope, would it be a good idea to find one with extended eye relief so I could mount it so it would not interfere with the loading and extraction of the round.
Sorry if these questions seem off, but I have never owned or fired a martini. my Ruger is a single shot and I don't like the way the scope is on that either. But then I find that with the Ruger you have to creep up the stock to get a good sight picture, and it doesn't feel comfortable. Maybe an extended eye relief scope on that on too.
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2016 at 9:36pm by 48woody »  

IP Logged

Nero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Jul 13th, 2016 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
Now that little Martini that singleshotsam posted has nice proportions and this is my Martini in 5.6 x 50R. I agree with J. Louis regarding to avoid having to adjust the objective lens and the other problem with these little Martini's is loading and unloading with a scope.
I was lucky to find this mint six power Lyman and didn't have to have too high a scope mount.
Most modern scopes have too large a rear end.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint