Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) scope for 22 K Hornet Martini (Read 10183 times)
48woody
Participating Member

scope for 22 K Hornet Martini
Jul 1st, 2016 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Hello; I recently acquired a BSA Martini in .22 K Hornet ( a few threads down). While I will probably buy a new variable scope for it because of the cost, I would love to put something like the Unertl scope on it. I think they just look like they belong on this rifle.

I have a couple questions for those who know much more than me, just in case I happen to run across something affordable in my travels.
1.  What other scopes/models would you recommend keeping an eye out for. (Unertl style)
2. Given it's for a 22 K Hornet that will be used for hunting small game (to eat), varmints, and punching holes in paper, the power that might be best to look for. I've seen vintage scopes from 4 to 32 X.

Thanks for any insight

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: scope for 22 K Hornet Martini
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2016 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
A couple of things come to mind.  First, since it's a small edible game hunting rifle you won't need a high power scope.  A 4x works great on my Ruger #3 in 22 Hornet.  Second, a Martini requires a high scope mount in order to easily load and unload it.  At least that has been my experience.

JS

IP Logged

singleshotsam
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2016 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
48woody,

I have several Cadet and 12/15 Martini's that I have Unertl Small Game and Lyman Junior Target Spots mounted on. I have from 3X to 8X depending on the application and enjoy them all. When I have the 5.6X50R finished I will probably mount a MVA 5X B5 on it for hunting as they are available and have great optics.

SSS

IP Logged

Fazer

Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2016 at 9:18am
Print Post  
I've got Lyman Alaskans on a couple of mine. It suits the gun and there is enough power for the cartridges and what I use them for

IP Logged

Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2016 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
Lowwall 22 Hornet with Fecker Woodchucker  7X.

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Jul 2nd, 2016 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
There are numerous good choices of scopes for the .22 Hornet and your gun. Any of the Lyman Targetspots, or even Super Targetspots. Also the Fecker scopes in Small Game, or Target style.
The modern MVA or DZ are also nice scopes, but probably a bit more money for the DZ than the MVA or early scopes.
I have a Fecker 12x, and a Super Targetspot 20x, and both are great scopes. I like the Fecker's center adjustment the best.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jul 2nd, 2016 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
For hunting one might try to avoid having to adjust the objective lens for the various ranges encountered with some of the higher power scopes. Might also be something to take into consideration.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

48woody
Participating Member

Reply #7 - Jul 2nd, 2016 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Thanks for all the good info. I see many people who over scope for their intended use. I don't need a scope right away, as I am doing some work on the gun. I have time to keep my eyes open for something that works well at a reasonable price. I would like an older Unertl, fecker, or the sort, over a modern variable.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jul 3rd, 2016 at 12:33am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jul 2nd, 2016 at 3:59pm:
...I like the Fecker's center adjustment the best.

Definitely easier to adjust than Lymans & Unertls (unless you have 4' arms), but NOTHING is so quick & sure as the simple sliding objective cell of Stevens and a few others. Complexity, however, almost always trumps simplicity.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jul 3rd, 2016 at 5:35am
Print Post  
Don't forget Litscherts when you are out on the innertubes shopping for a scope.

<div class=

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jul 3rd, 2016 at 8:45am
Print Post  
Just remember that whatever the scope you choose you are going to have to fumble-finger the cartridge into that martini action in the gap between the action and the scope.   what works easily with Winchesters Stevens etc action can be a pain with a martini.  Thats the reason some of the later martini rimfire target rifles had a cut down side.

I have a couple BSA international & Cadet, and various germanic martini-styled, actioned rifles. and too low mounted,or  a short eye relief target scope extending too far back over the action can be a pain. 
Though I do like the small early Unertl "small game" and small fecker scopes on a couple of them

If you are not worried about a "traditional' scope look, and are going to use it for casual shooting and for hunting varmints and small game,  I'd consider a low-powered modern variable in a long eye-relief scope; like the ones used on handguns, shotguns, modern "muzzle loaders" and "scout rifles"

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

ballardhepburnmich
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #11 - Jul 3rd, 2016 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Another traditional style to keep your eyes open for is the Wollensak or Mossberg in 4 to 6 power. They are usually more reasonable than the others.
Lee

IP Logged

48woody
Participating Member

Reply #12 - Jul 3rd, 2016 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
Hello;

Any opinions on the Redfield 3200 scopes. I've seen a few at reasonable prices.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jul 3rd, 2016 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
I think the REdfield 3200 is a short tube version of the 2400 designed for bridge mounting over the action of Bolt action rifles   If in good shape the are old but good scopes.  the sort of look like traditional scopes but the are internally adjustable.   some used ones do not adjust very well or consistently.  And They have pretty short eye relief.  Other wise they are excellent scopes----but because of the short eye relief they don't work on single shots unless one  purchases or fabricates a cantilever bar the will attach over the standard lyman, Unertl etc dovetail blocks on the bottom side and room for appropriately spaced Redfield blocks farther back on the top side. 
   I have a nice 3200 too but I need to get the cantilever bar for it.  One of our site members fabricates a batch now and then, but I missed out on the most recent run of them.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

48woody
Participating Member

Reply #14 - Jul 4th, 2016 at 10:21am
Print Post  
I was looking at the Leatherwood 8X USMC Sniper, Malcolm (Unertl copy).  Has anyone used/owned one.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint