Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Round for Breech Seating with Low Power Accuracy+ (Read 7125 times)
SmallBoreBuyer

Round for Breech Seating with Low Power Accuracy+
Jun 28th, 2016 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Hello All,

I am considering cartridge options with the following characteristics:

Able to produce good accuracy (is 1 MOA asking too much?) at 100 yards with < 1,000 FPS or so;

Possibly be able to be loaded a littler hotter to a lot hotter, while retaining good accuracy.

The list I have in my head right now includes:

22 Maynard XL

22 Hornet

25-20SS

25-21 Savage

32-20

32-20 CPA

32-40

33-57

357 Maximum

The first key is the low power accuracy.

TIA

John

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Round for Breech Seating with Low Power Accuracy+
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2016 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
The 32-20 WCF works for me and fits your requirements.  Maybe not for the "lot hotter" but I don't need or want that. Don't need it at 100 yds. anyway.

JS

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2016 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
     Some years ago, I shot a rifle with one of its interchangeable bbls in 28 caliber.   It was chambered for a straight 38 SPL case and used for breech-seating.   Not, of course, necessary to have a neck on the case if you are breech-seating.   This worked fine, and was pleasant to shoot, but not QUITE as accurate as a 30 Schwartz on the same rifle.   If I were building another, I'd look at the 32-20 case, or the straightened version, 32-20 CPA.    This same case might also be suitable for a 6.5 mm, 25 cal, or 6 mm bore.   One one might start with a 32 S&W case, leaving the option of going to a 32-20 case if the former was not large enough.
     The notion of a small, straight case for a breech-seating barrel does not seem to be utilized very much, but it makes sense to me. They are very easy to load, easy to make a durable breech-seater for, and the brass is cheap.  It is possible to just bore the chamber, using a 45 deg. taper to the bore at the end of the chamber, thus obviating the need for a special chambering reamer.

CHRIS
RGChristensen

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jun 29th, 2016 at 12:50am
Print Post  
30 schwartz now there is a cartridge I haven't heard about in years. Supposed to be the child of Wayne Swartz whom I believe designed. Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 29th, 2016 at 9:35am
Print Post  
the smaller cases are notoriously finicky with loading---the CAN be made to work but in general the smaller the case and bullet the more sensitive they are to the multitude of variables that have to be "just right' for true accuracy.   I suspect the the midsize straight or straight tapered cases with 25/26 cal up to .32/33 cal bores will let you meet your goals with fewer frustrations.   JMHO

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Dales
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Jun 29th, 2016 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
John
Twist rate might be more important than the case . I would pick a caliber that I could obtain a barrel with a fast enough twist for the bullet wt. you want to use at the low velocity you want to use. 32 cal. probably has the most choices of molds for breach seating . A 1in 10 twist 25cal. barrel might be the easiest to find in a faster twist.
Dales

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 29th, 2016 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
You could probably add the 327 Federal to your list.
Wanting one chambering that will do everything, be accurate, shoot sub sonic, or shoot fast, is an age old pursuit.
Most wouldn't consider the short 32 S&W (not the 32 S&W Long) to be a shoot fast cartridge, and yet the big ammo companies offered a 32 S&W Gallery loading using a 46gr round ball with 4grs black powder, as an option to the standard 88gr bullet with 10grs black powder loading.
Numerous factory cartridges were offered with various loadings ranging from "cat sneeze" versions, to standard, to Hi-Vel. Plus the shot loadings for foraging.
Ideal sold a lot of round ball moulds, light for caliber weight moulds, to heavy for caliber weight moulds. The early Ideal loading manuals listed a lot of loading options for the gun crank to experiment with.
If nothing else, investigating the one chambering that will do everything concept will provide a lot of trigger time, a lot of enjoyment, and the opportunity to learn some interesting lessons along the way.
And you never really know until you actually try.
Have fun.
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2016 at 5:50pm by BP »  

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

SmallBoreBuyer

Reply #7 - Jun 30th, 2016 at 12:08am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jun 29th, 2016 at 4:59pm:
Really, after thinking about it, seems you want a chambering that will do everything. Accurate. Shoot sub sonic, shoot fast.  Good luck with all that. Interesting venture for sure. But might lead you to realize why most of us have several or more single shots or use switch barrel outfits.

Joe.

Thanks for the insights, Joe.  The hotter criterion was in the "possibly" category.  Slow and accurate are the key criteria.  I do realize there are always trade-offs.

IP Logged

SmallBoreBuyer

Reply #8 - Jun 30th, 2016 at 12:15am
Print Post  
rgchristensen wrote on Jun 28th, 2016 at 11:55pm:
     Some years ago, I shot a rifle with one of its interchangeable bbls in 28 caliber.   It was chambered for a straight 38 SPL case and used for breech-seating.   Not, of course, necessary to have a neck on the case if you are breech-seating.   This worked fine, and was pleasant to shoot, but not QUITE as accurate as a 30 Schwartz on the same rifle.   If I were building another, I'd look at the 32-20 case, or the straightened version, 32-20 CPA.    This same case might also be suitable for a 6.5 mm, 25 cal, or 6 mm bore.   One one might start with a 32 S&W case, leaving the option of going to a 32-20 case if the former was not large enough.
     The notion of a small, straight case for a breech-seating barrel does not seem to be utilized very much, but it makes sense to me. They are very easy to load, easy to make a durable breech-seater for, and the brass is cheap.  It is possible to just bore the chamber, using a 45 deg. taper to the bore at the end of the chamber, thus obviating the need for a special chambering reamer.

CHRIS
RGChristensen

Thanks Chris - it took me a while to understand your proposal - ie. to have, potentially, a jump from the interior diameter of a straight-walled case to the bore diameter.  Did you find any issues with fouling, corrosion, etc.? 

Has anyone else tried this approach, for a purely breech seated set-up?

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jun 30th, 2016 at 4:55am
Print Post  
Another vote for 32-20 (or 30-20) with a fast-twist barrel, allowing the use of heavier bullets - you can turn it into a kind of  'whisper', shooting heavy, subsonic loads which actually are quite accurate and - being subsonic - have less wind drift.  The use of a small case  with a heavy bullet will allow you to get very good ES.
Should you want/need higher velocity, you can always go to lighter bullets.

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Jun 30th, 2016 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
I just Love my 25-20 WCF, 120 gr bullet...cheap shooting. Best way to really learn shooting in conditions, 32-20  also. Now the 32-40 old standby, accurate, easy to load if your arthritic, have one eye, gimpy and go by the name of 'Lucky".......Thats my story and I'm sticking with it!

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

GeorgeC
Oldtimer

ASSRA 11411

Reply #11 - Jul 1st, 2016 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Interesting points of view on caliber and twist, but no one has mentioned what weight cast bullet you should use.  For example 120 gr. bullet for a .25-20 (as mentioned), so what would be an accurate, heavy bullet for a .32-20 with a 12" twist?

Never mind the mule. Just load the wagon.
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jul 2nd, 2016 at 1:29am
Print Post  
I have five 30 cal barrels on SS's, two 14 twist, two 12 twist and a 13 twist.

Two are 30-32/35 Stevens, one 30-32/20 (built for my wife), one 30/40 and a 30/30 Wesson, respectively.

I had my bullet molds made for the 14 twist and shoot them in all the above. All three molds are Ron Longs, they are all true spitzers and range from 1.155 - 1.165 and weigh 180 - 184 gr.

I also have one PB, bore rider, that is 1.19 lg, it's also very accurate (1.25, 5 shot @ 200) and it two, will stabilize in a 14 twist @ 1400+.

I wouldn't recommend a heavy bullet 32/20, unless it is in a rifle, comparable to a HW in strength. If the breech block gives at all, the cases will stretch and fail. Cases last a long time in my wifes HW.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jul 3rd, 2016 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
GeorgeC wrote on Jul 1st, 2016 at 5:27pm:
Interesting points of view on caliber and twist, but no one has mentioned what weight cast bullet you should use.  For example 120 gr. bullet for a .25-20 (as mentioned), so what would be an accurate, heavy bullet for a .32-20 with a 12" twist?   

I'd stay with something between 150 - 180 grs, and keep it subsonic.  The Pope 308403 shoots pretty well...

IP Logged

Ciao998
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Jul 4th, 2016 at 11:42am
Print Post  
My 32/40 high wall I shoot pretty slow. I don't know exactly how slow, but I'd call it very accurate. 1/16 twist with a Borton 185gr bullet, 12.5- 13.5 gr 4227 anywhere in there it will shoot less than 1 moa, especially at 100 yards. Haven't tried any lighter loads than 12.5.

John

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint