Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Scope Question, Lyman junior spot. (Read 14329 times)
boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Scope Question, Lyman junior spot.
Reply #15 - Jun 27th, 2016 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Kroll is magic on sticky external scope adjustments.  Just don't let it get in the scope tube.

Clicks are very useful in position matches with time limits. Don't have to come out of position to make small adjustments. When I shot small bore prone I clicked all the time.  Other than strapped in fast movement no real good reason to have clicks. I don't trust most clicks, prefer to read the setting on the micrometer knob.

Boats

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jun 28th, 2016 at 12:18am
Print Post  
I give a couple clicks this way or that quite often shooting offhand.   Once in a while I'll look to see how far off "offhand zero" I am.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jun 28th, 2016 at 10:32am
Print Post  
boats wrote on Jun 27th, 2016 at 9:44pm:
When I shot small bore prone I clicked all the time...
Boats

It was the explosion of interest in small bore competition at 50 & 100 yds. or more after 1919 that led scope makers (Fecker first in 1924) to dream up those now despised clicks.  When, before WW I, small bore was almost exclusively an indoor sport, rapid adjustments for different ranges weren't needed in a scope mount.   

Sorry--another history lesson!

IP Logged

AZshot

Reply #18 - Dec 31st, 2016 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Newcomer visiting an old post.  I was just shooting my Targetspot Junior 10x this morning.  It has click adjustments, which are highly appreciated for old eyes.  I'm also a vintage camera photographer.  When Leica moved from their "no click" aperture lenses like the Elmar, to click stops in the 1950s, it was a huge improvement.  Most adjustable things have a tactile feedback, or at least audible, including IPod menu wheels.   

Does the NRA outlaw click adjustable mounts just to make it difficult for people to use 95% of the external scopes out there?  Sheeze, even an old Mossberg external mount scope from the 1930s has clicks.  Or do they think that having a click is somehow going to make you too competitive?  I just can't fathom any good reason other than "ole timey."  They should require we where bowler hats too, in BPCR and the .22 version. 

I appreciate trying to stop competitions from becoming an arms race.  But BPCR since it's inception has done a great job at limiting actions, weights, and such.  I'm sure not going to alter my vintage scope, just to shoehorn my gear into their vision of what is right.

IP Logged

FITZ-G

Reply #19 - Dec 31st, 2016 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
The Clicks in Lyman are made by a Flat spring formed with a Dimple "V" across it that makes the Click when a feature in the Tube in the rotation goes across it. I have forgotten the feature at this time. I contacted Parsons many years ago to buy a couple and they said they had none as they could not afford the tooling cost to have them made. I still have the two pcs of the one that came out of my Scope in a little zip lock baggy. The advice to use a little Kroil and give it some time to do it's job is a good one. Getting all that stuff apart is difficult and you could do more damage than you want to deal with. I still use that scope without clicks, just have to pay attention to the Micrometer Barrel Numbers. HTH Regards, FITZ-G. Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2016 at 4:12pm by FITZ-G »  

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Dec 31st, 2016 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
AZshot wrote on Dec 31st, 2016 at 3:51pm:
I just can't fathom any good reason other than "ole timey."... 

You must be a good carpenter--you hit that nail on the head!

Considering that the click mechanism can be disabled, allowing use of those "modern" scopes anyway, seems rather like much ado about very little.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #21 - Dec 31st, 2016 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
Yeah, it seems more about some feel good decision, than anything else. The difference is you can count clicks without looking at your knobs. So all they accomplished is you have to look if you disable the clicks. 
Like this really changes much? Stupid.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jan 1st, 2017 at 5:44am
Print Post  
AZshot wrote on Dec 31st, 2016 at 3:51pm:

Does the NRA outlaw click adjustable mounts just to make it difficult for people to use 95% of the external scopes out there?  Sheeze, even an old Mossberg external mount scope from the 1930s has clicks.  Or do they think that having a click is somehow going to make you too competitive?  I just can't fathom any good reason other than "ole timey."  They should require we where bowler hats too, in BPCR and the .22 version. 

I have always wondered what makes the rule makers tick? BPCR is all about "original" but we now use heavy rifles, set triggers, prone cross sticks, fast twists and longer bullets.  What happened to the original cartridges, 10# rifles, 3# triggers and no artificial support rules of the original LR BPCR matches?  Roll Eyes

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

AZshot

Reply #23 - Jan 1st, 2017 at 7:37am
Print Post  
Has the 12 lb weight requirement  been changed?  It's been a long time since I've shot BPCR, since the 1990s.  But set triggers were used in the 1800s, quite a bit on several types of guns.

To me, longer bullets are also probably authentic enough.  Actually, when I heard they were starting a new sub-match, allowing scopes at all, I was pretty surprised.  I'm glad they cannot be modern, tactical mil-dot types (which I seem to see being used in "schuetzen benchrest" today.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Jan 1st, 2017 at 10:19am
Print Post  
AZshot wrote on Jan 1st, 2017 at 7:37am:
Actually, when I heard they were starting a new sub-match, allowing scopes at all, I was pretty surprised.  I'm glad they cannot be modern, tactical mil-dot types (which I seem to see being used in "schuetzen benchrest" today. 

But if a Targetspot or any similar scope is allowed, that most certainly IS a "modern" scope, even rendered clickless, relative to the 1870-90 era.  Clearly, the "no-click" rule is a fig-leaf contrived to disguise the obvious fact that modern scopes are being allowed, but, he-he, let's everyone pretend we don't notice.  

If scopes are going to be permitted in what's supposed to be a vintage-eqpt. competition (which, being blind as Mr. Magoo, I support wholeheartedly), than they ought to be reasonably faithful repros of scopes commonly in use in that time period, which means full barrel-length scopes, and also UN-coated lenses.  Yes, such scopes would be damned hard to come by today, except for what remains around of those ugly and crude brass tube Navy Arms scopes, or the good, but even scarcer, scopes put together by Lyman for Ruger's Centennial model.  However, if there was a even a small market for such scopes, some maker like MVA would, I'll bet, step up to the plate.  Can you believe that repros of the miserable Weaver 330 are now being mfg. in China for use on all the fake '03A4 sniper rifles that now have a match of their own at Camp Perry?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #25 - Jan 1st, 2017 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
AZshot wrote on Jan 1st, 2017 at 7:37am:
Has the 12 lb weight requirement  been changed?  It's been a long time since I've shot BPCR, since the 1990s.  But set triggers were used in the 1800s, quite a bit on several types of guns.

Set triggers are indeed not a new invention, but even in the pre 1900 days they were banned from long range competition. Guns for that type of shooting had 10# limit, .34" barrel length limit, and required a single not set trigger.
Of course there were other pre 1800 venues that allowed set triggers, and all sorts of weight and barrel options.

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #26 - Jan 1st, 2017 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Vall,
Am I wrong in that, I also believe trigger pull weight was also limited at like 3 pounds low end.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Jan 1st, 2017 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
LRF wrote on Jan 1st, 2017 at 1:19pm:
Vall,
Am I wrong in that, I also believe trigger pull weight was also limited at like 3 pounds low end.

That was the NRA regulation for Creedmoor competition in the "any rifle" category; in the "military rifle" category it was 6 lbs. minimum.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #28 - Jan 1st, 2017 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
LRF wrote on Jan 1st, 2017 at 1:19pm:
Vall,

I'm uncertain of trigger weight rules back in the 1800's Lynn? Not sure if the present trigger weight rules are the same as original rules?
But I did find this on the NRA's web site:
"The match would be comprised of 15 shots at 800, 900, and 1,000 yards from any unsupported position. The rifles could weigh no more than 10 pounds, and both telescopic sights and “hair” (less than a 3-pound pull) triggers were prohibited. American team members were to be native-born and their rifles of American manufacture."
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2017 at 8:12pm by marlinguy »  

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Jan 1st, 2017 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
The "3-lb." rule had great staying power--when the NRA drew up rules for the new outdoor (to distinguish them from gallery) small-bore matches about 1920, it was also applied. Which is why it's hard to adjust Mod. 52s, 37s, etc., much below that pull weight.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint