Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) New Ballard (Read 9066 times)
watchthewind
Oldtimer

New Ballard
Jun 4th, 2016 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
After spending a week on the road for work I stopped by my FFL yesterday and picked up my new Ballard. I cannot wait to get out and shoot tomorrow. Today I managed to go outside and do a little dry firing on this beautiful 115 degree day!
Well, now I know how Ralphy felt in A Christmas Story Smiley 
Scott

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

ASSRA Member # 11408

IP Logged

blk43

Re: New Ballard
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2016 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
That is one handsome Ballard, Watchwind!  WHO did the woodwork and what caliber is it?
Bruce

BLK

IP Logged

watchthewind
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2016 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Hello Bruce,
Thank you. It was a consignment gun from Wyoming Armory. I know the checkering was done by Neal Rice. This rifle is chambered in 22 LR.
I dry fired until I couldn't anymore......and then did you few more times Smiley
Scott

ASSRA Member # 11408

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2016 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
Is it a Cody Ballard? Looks to be done very nicely, and I bet it's a great shooter! I never really looked at the Cody Ballards much until I bought a Schoyen style Cody Ballard in .22LR not long ago.

IP Logged

watchthewind
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2016 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jun 4th, 2016 at 10:25pm:
Is it a Cody Ballard? Looks to be done very nicely, and I bet it's a great shooter! I never really looked at the Cody Ballards much until I bought a Schoyen style Cody Ballard in .22LR not long ago.

It's a Cody  Cool
How is yours shooting? Does it show a preference toward a particular ammo?
Scott

ASSRA Member # 11408

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #5 - Jun 4th, 2016 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
I don't buy the expensive ammo, as I'm afraid it might shoot so well I'd never go back! I have about 4000 rds. left in a case of PMC target I bought in the 90's, and never used when Is topped shooting adult smallbore. 
I've tried the PMC, plus CCI standard velocity, and some Russian Jr. I used to shoot bullseye with. My Schoyen has a Badger barrel and a match chamber. It seems to shoot everything very well, but the PMC is slightly better. I'm getting groups under 1.5" at 100 yds. with my 12x Fecker scope on it. (when the wind cooperates!) With the MVA tang sight, and Baldwin globe they open up quite a bit. My eyes aren't what I'd like them to be.
Haven't fired it much offhand, as it's got a very heavy 30" full round barrel, and I can't hold it long offhand.

IP Logged

watchthewind
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Jun 4th, 2016 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
That is a beautiful Ballard and accurate too! Many moons ago I shot up my dad's Junior and PMC Match. He was glad to see me working on my benchrest discipline, but not shooting up his out of production ammo  Wink

ASSRA Member # 11408

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #7 - Jun 5th, 2016 at 8:44am
Print Post  
I hesitated to purchase my Cody Ballard, as I wasn't interested in another .22 schuetzen rifle, and have no new schuetzen replicas. But I had this one in my safe for over a month, while I was selling off my friend's estate and couldn't keep my hands off it. Eventually it was the last one left to sell, and I just wasn't able to part with it. Partially because it was my good friend's favorite, but mostly because they are such a finely made rifle.
I almost hesitate to say they're better than my favorite Marlin Ballard, but they really are. The craftsmanship of the men involved in the Ballard rifles built in Cody is as good as it gets. So many talented people all involved in producing a copy that is better than the original it emulates.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 5th, 2016 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Our modern master gunsmiths have more precision equipment to work with and I dare-say better and more consistent materials to work with than the "originals" did.    I'm not a student of Ballards as a type, but my guess is that the Cody-Ballards, and even the few Michigan-Ballards made were almost totally built to custom order (and in the case of the Michigan ones made almost completely by one master gunsmith---Steve Durren) 

I think the miracle is that working in a factory production system M/B was able to turn out the beauty and quality they did considering the material's and systems that were available then.      Or was there a factory mass-production shop AND a strictly special-order custom shop back then at M/B Winchester etc.?   Maybe the labor costs and the apprentice-systems of the past era made a large amount of hand labor in finishing and fitting more possible than it would be now. Huh

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #9 - Jun 5th, 2016 at 10:18am
Print Post  
I don't think any Marlin Ballard, or other Marlin repeating rifle was ever done in a "custom shop". I'd bet the same craftsmen who built standard models, also assembled the special order guns. When John Marlin agreed to take on and build the Ballard rifles, he received all of Brown Manufacturing's equipment, and parts. He also hired on a great number of employees that worked at Brown to continue assembling Ballards under his oversight. 
There were things like engraving that were sent outside the factory to "factory engravers" to embellish. These engravers were not necessarily Marlin hourly employees, but piece meal contract employees who got paid per job. 
Considering the lack of metallurgy technology in the late 1800's, I'm pleasantly surprised by the quality that all the major manufacturers put out! The amount of hand work, and seat of the pants engineering was amazing. Especially considering the equipment, and lighting levels most factories had in that era. I wish I could find the CD I have hidden from myself here somewhere! It is an old silent movie made in the Marlin factory just after WWI, and shows the entire process of building Marlin rifles at different stages. One thing that really jumps out is the amount of hand work, and the very poor lighting the workers did their jobs under!

IP Logged

watchthewind
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Jun 5th, 2016 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
I took it out and shot her today. Man was it hot....and so was she!
I'm very impressed with the accuracy of the rifle. I can see myself doing business with Wyoming Armory again. Steve and Keith were very helpful and a pleasure to do business with.
Scott

ASSRA Member # 11408

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 2:05am
Print Post  
watchthewind wrote on Jun 5th, 2016 at 6:20pm:
I'm very impressed with the accuracy of the rifle. I can see myself doing business with Wyoming Armory again. Steve and Keith were very helpful and a pleasure to do business with.
Scott

Are you sleeping with her?   Roll Eyes  A friend's wife told me he was sleeping with his new Sharps several years back  Grin

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

watchthewind
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 9:20am
Print Post  
I've got it bad really bad Smiley There is no sleeping when we get together. It's either fondling, firing or dry firing  Wink

ASSRA Member # 11408

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #13 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 9:22am
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Jun 7th, 2016 at 2:05am:
watchthewind wrote on Jun 5th, 2016 at 6:20pm:
Scott

Are you sleeping with her?   Roll Eyes  A friend's wife told me he was sleeping with his new Sharps several years back  Grin

My wife has gotten used to it after nearly 4 decades! Never slept with a new old gun, but rarely let them sit long in the first month of finding one! Been known to watch TV with one in my lap, but my wife makes me watch in another room as she dislikes being bumped by a barrel.

IP Logged

Redwing
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 1:27pm
Print Post  

Who but we can understand the feeling's we have for these old Rifle's ???  My Wife say's that when I pass, she will have my remains loaded into a few of my old favorites and send me off in style !!!  Can't hardly wait !!!    Grin

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #15 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
Redwing wrote on Jun 7th, 2016 at 1:27pm:

Who but we can understand the feeling's we have for these old Rifle's ???  My Wife say's that when I pass, she will have my remains loaded into a few of my old favorites and send me off in style !!!  Can't hardly wait !!!    Grin

That's so true! Even many of my gun friends don't understand my addiction to old single shot rifles. They may love old guns, but can't understand why anyone would want a gun that only holds one cartridge, and looks funny.

IP Logged

jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Reply #16 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jun 7th, 2016 at 3:50pm:
Redwing wrote on Jun 7th, 2016 at 1:27pm:

That's so true! Even many of my gun friends don't understand my addiction to old single shot rifles. They may love old guns, but can't understand why anyone would want a gun that only holds one cartridge, and looks funny.

And I can't understand how someone can look at a fine old Ballard or a Cody Ballard and not think it is a beautiful rifle!

IP Logged

watchthewind
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
Truer words have never been spoken Smiley

ASSRA Member # 11408

IP Logged

John Rigby

Reply #18 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
I always have a Ballard or Double Rifle in my lap or resting on the sofa next to me when watching tv.  Better than what's on the tube. Will get up at commercials and dry fire.  I know, I have this illness....but no excuses and no regrets!  Wink

John Rigby

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint