Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens 25-20 single shot (Read 25105 times)
JerryB
Participating Member

Stevens 25-20 single shot
Jun 3rd, 2016 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
I bought an old Steven in 25-20 Single Shot. It needs a new hammer spring. I am not exactly certain which model I have. I'm thinking 44 but I could be way off.  I checked Wisners and the best I can tell I need the spring 12B for the 1894 Intermediate but my hammer doesn't look exactly like the one pictured. But it certainly doesn't resemble any of the others either but the Intermediate seems to be the closest.  Once I know exactly what I have then ordering parts won't be much of an issue.  I hope.  Any and all help greatly appreciated.  Thank you.  Smiley

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: Stevens 25-20 single shot
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2016 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
Welcome, Jerry. Post a picture of your rifle. Please. 

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

JerryB
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2016 at 7:53am
Print Post  
Will a picture actually help?  It looks just like all the other pics I have seen of the Stevens SS rifles. I do know the upper receiver tang is drilled and tapped for what I believe to be a Lyman adjustable sight.   
As far as having a spring made there is no reason to order a custom spring because Wisner has 4 variations of hammer springs. All I need to do is determined which spring I need.  It's a safe bet that it isn't the coil spring setup because my hammer looks nothing like the one pictured in their website for a coil spring type action. Plus there would at least be the rest of the assembly present even if the spring was gone.   
But I will try to take a decent photo later on and post it. 
Thanks.

IP Logged

kensmachine
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2016 at 11:18am
Print Post  
To your eye it looks like all the other stevens out there. To some of these guys not so much. let's see there's are maybe 10 or more models of Stevens single shots and none use the same main spring. A picture is best. Ken

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2016 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Coil spring hammers and flat spring hammers can and do look the same. Ken is correct, and we need to see the rifle/action. Many different models with many major differences.   

Plus, we just want to see your rifle.  Wink

Joe.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 4th, 2016 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
It's exceedingly unlikely that a gun chambered .25-20 is anything but a Model 44, (unless it's a 44 1/2).  To confirm, dismount the forearm, and read what's stamped on the face of the receiver.   If there is a number 44, then it's a Model 44, and takes the 12AB spring.  As far as I know, there never were any .25-20 Model 44s that had a coil spring.  Nor were there any that took a "spring with hole", whatever that is.   The 44 1/2 does, but Wisner does not make a spring for the 44 1/2.  

For some reason, Wisner offers the same 12AB part number for early Favorites, but the 12AB spring is much too stiff for a Favorite.  I had to do major surgery on one I bought recently.

The spring in a 44 looks like this:

« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2016 at 2:53pm by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 4th, 2016 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Jun 4th, 2016 at 2:29pm:
For some reason, Wisner offers the same 12AB part number for early Favorites, but the 12AB spring is much too stiff for a Favorite.  I had to do major surgery on one I bought recently.

Must be the same one he sent me, but I skipped the surgery.  Instead, I just use two hands to cock it.  No, not really, but talk about positive ignition!

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jun 4th, 2016 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Jun 4th, 2016 at 2:47pm:
uscra112 wrote on Jun 4th, 2016 at 2:29pm:

Must be the same one he sent me, but I skipped the surgery.  Instead, I just use two hands to cock it.  No, not really, but talk about positive ignition!

That's going to do in the cocking notch on the hammer in short order.  I ground mine on the sides using a belt sander, until the width was .250".   Much better!

<div class=

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #8 - Jun 4th, 2016 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
"The spring in a 44 looks like this"  

Not always. My dad had one that used a flat spring connected to the top tang.  The spring was broken, of course. That must be why Stevens went to the coil spring in the higher grade rifles. 

Joe. 

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jun 4th, 2016 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
is the spring with the hole in it for a walnuthill?

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jun 4th, 2016 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
bnice wrote on Jun 4th, 2016 at 8:37pm:
is the spring with the hole in it for a walnuthill?

The Walnut Hill (Model 417) had a coil spring strut much like the 1915 Favorites.

I observe that deHaas shows the 1894 Favorite as having a cantilevered spring with a hole in it. The spring is firmly screwed down to the lower tang, and the hammer is shaped to accommodate it.   (I cannot confirm, as I have yet to acquire one in that period.)  

That fact might account for Wisner's having identified an "intermediate" spring style for the 44.   The early Favorite "bow" mainspring is close enough to the 44 "bow" mainspring that a casual observer might be forgiven for thinking that they are the same part, and by extrapolation might mistakenly believe that the 44 copied the Favorite's cantilever style spring at some time.  It didn't.  

I believe the Wisner catalog is in error, twice over.  First in listing a "holey" spring for the 44, and second for listing the 12AB spring for both the 44 and the early Favorite.  While the 12AB spring does fit into and function in both rifles, the OEM Favorite spring was of .042" thickness, while the OEM 44 spring is .065".  The Wisner spring is .055", splitting the difference, but not to the advantage of either.  In the 44 it works, but won't provide quite as positive a hammer blow, and in the Favorite it takes two hands to cock the hammer, as Redsetter and I can both testify.  

Pending positive identification of the O.P.'s rifle,  I believe what he wants to order is the 12AB spring. 

Oh, and Joe?  I believe your Dad was holding either the rifle or you upside down.  Grin

<div class=

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #11 - Jun 4th, 2016 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
Nope. Had a hole in the flat spring and a seven o:clock extractor. Only one I've ever seen. 

Joe.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jun 5th, 2016 at 12:38am
Print Post  
Parkenfarker hadn't signed his name to it, had he?   Wink

<div class=

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #13 - Jun 5th, 2016 at 1:52am
Print Post  
Nope. Was legit. When it comes to old single shots, never say never.........

Joe.

IP Logged

JerryB
Participating Member

Reply #14 - Jun 6th, 2016 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
Thank you so much gentlemen.  Just reading your replies tells me 2 or 3 things:
1....There seems to be a considerable amount of confusion even among you guys who know what's going on.  Can you imagine how I feel?  Lost pretty describes my status.
2....Despite the research I have done apparently what little I learned was wrong.  This adds to my "lost" status. 
3.... I came to the right place to get some definitive answers.  I'm going to go take some pics now and try to post them.  Please forgive the condition of the rifle. I saw it as a shooter and not as a collector piece. 
Wish me luck.   Lol 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint