Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) win high wall question as to era? (Read 6203 times)
knifemaker
Participating Member

win high wall question as to era?
Jun 1st, 2016 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Hi, I have a deal on a win. high wall, 40-70.
The rifle is immaculate , with custom stock and all the trimmings even some engraving on the receiver.
My question is that there is no serial # on the tang ,or anywhere on the receiver that I can find, Is there a possibility that win . produced some of theses guns with no ser#at a certain time, or is it possible that the tang was replaced later with no markings?
The rifle is in primo condition and looks to be of a more recent time, and not an earlier vnitage.
can any one shed any light on it?     thanks

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: win high wall question as to era?
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2016 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
Pictures. Can you post some pictures? 
Is it a flat-spring or coil-spring action?

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2016 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
knifemaker wrote on Jun 1st, 2016 at 5:49pm:
Is there a possibility that win . produced some of theses guns with no ser#at a certain time...

No, excepting perhaps experimental models.  Marking ser. nos. on an easily removable part of the gun was not one of Winchester's most farsighted ideas.

IP Logged

knifemaker
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2016 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
No unfortunately i don,nt have the rife now for pic., but i believe it,s a coil spring.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2016 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Coil-spring would be 1908, or later. Not aware of any that did not have the S/N on the tang. You could call the Cody Firearms Museum and ask. They might be able to enlighten you (us).

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

chawk

Reply #5 - Jun 2nd, 2016 at 6:47am
Print Post  
They are all known to have serial numbers.  It is not uncommon to see a custom High Wall with no serial number because the gunsmith ground it off during the rebuilding/refinishing.  You see it all the time on on custom pistol grip rifles.

The earlier "cursive" style serial numbers are generally not stamped as deeply as the later "blocky" stlye serial numbers and are especially vulnerable to fading due to wear, pitting, polishing, refinishing, etc..

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Jun 2nd, 2016 at 8:45am
Print Post  
Ditto on Chawks reply. Many straight grip hi walls were converted to pistol grip custom rifles and the serial numbers were polished off. I have one of those.

Richard

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

kkid66

Reply #7 - Jun 2nd, 2016 at 8:52am
Print Post  
Winchester put ser # on the barrel amd lower tang, both easily changed and leaving no number if a custom lower tang is installed.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 2nd, 2016 at 10:30am
Print Post  
kkid66 wrote on Jun 2nd, 2016 at 8:52am:
Winchester put ser # on the barrel amd lower tang, both easily changed and leaving no number if a custom lower tang is installed.

Actually, Winchester barrels were NOT numbered, making life much easier for barrel switchers.

IP Logged

knifemaker
Participating Member

Reply #9 - Jun 2nd, 2016 at 11:19am
Print Post  
Thanks I really appreciate everyones inputes, and it sure looks like the rifle was redone by a gunsmith and the the ser. # on the tang were removed in the restoration process. 
This is apparately not uncommon, and I would not be scared away from buying it now. Knowing that it has a coil spring action at least I know it was made after 1908, without ser # can,t tell what year it was made. wondered if there was another way to find out its vintage plus or minus  20 years or so?

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jun 2nd, 2016 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
knifemaker wrote on Jun 2nd, 2016 at 11:19am:
...wondered if there was another way to find out its vintage plus or minus  20 years or so?

Production ended 1920, so there's only a 12 yr window for production.

IP Logged

kkid66

Reply #11 - Jun 2nd, 2016 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
Redsetter you are correct about no ser# on the bbl. The original bbl should have the factory Winchester stamping where a bbl and lower tang change may leave the gun as mfg unknown. The upper tang may have no markings.
« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2016 at 12:46pm by kkid66 »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #12 - Jun 2nd, 2016 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Although Winchester only put the serial number on the lower tang, they did put assembly or work order numbers on the sides of the upper and lower tangs. And with special features they often put other letters on the side of the tang to note the options. If the seller is asking a big price tag, I'd want to pull the buttstock and compare whatever marks are on the left side of the upper and lower tangs, just to see what might be there. If the seller is selling it at a price that is cheap enough, then it really isn't important. You get what you see and nothing promised.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jun 2nd, 2016 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
kkid66 wrote on Jun 2nd, 2016 at 12:23pm:
...The original bbl should have the factory Winchester stamping...

Unless of course it's a fake barrel with a fake roll-mark, such as those Sonny France once peddled.  Fortunately for collectors, his die cutter was so stupid, incredibly, as to miss-spell "Manufacturing," but there are others doing the same thing who were more careful.      

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jun 2nd, 2016 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Winchester sold replacement tangs for repair that were not marked with a serial number. The individual doing the replacement was supposed to transfer the original serial number onto the replacement tang before delivering the rifle to the customer.
Winchester also sold properly roll-marked replacement barrels, which had an additional stamping that was visible after installation, consisting of a P within the same size oval that contained the Winchester Proof mark.
I've seen hand stamps cut with the Winchester Proof mark for sale at gun shows, and roll dies too, not too many years ago.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint