Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Ruger No.1V - Customer Service (Read 2635 times)
SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Ruger No.1V - Customer Service
May 31st, 2016 at 9:59am
Print Post  
Wanting to stay with a single-shot rifle to use in both our 200m 'steel' target match (off-hand) and in our 600yd F-Class shooting, was pleased to see Ruger offer the No.1V (26" varmint weight barrel) in .223R with an 8" twist to allow one to shoot the 'standard' 80/77gr long-range bullets (and lighter for shorter distances). However, as Charles (bohemianway) warned me, Ruger was saying the barrels were a 9" twist and not the 8" that was being listed by the retailers. I further checked with Lipsey's, the distributor for the Ruger No.1 and was told they would check with Ruger see what was "the truth", as they had ordered an 8" twist and assumed that is what they got. Ruger confirmed that the barrels are a 9" twist. However, they have agreed to rebarrel with a new 26" varmint-weight barrel in an 8" twist. Was given an RMA and an estimated 2-3wk turn-around for the new barrel. If it all works out, then I'll be pleased and will be happy with both Ruger's and Lipsey's response. Nice when folks step up and take responsibility for their actions. Especially these days when it is never "our fault". Will report back after the fact and see how it goes. And, thanks to Charles for letting me know about this. I would likely have wasted several weeks trying to figure out why my 80/77gr loads would not work in the 9" twist.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

caithness77

Re: Ruger No.1V - Customer Service
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 8:26am
Print Post  
Hi Glenn,
I have a similar project that I have up and running. Ruger #1V in 223, 26" 1:7 S/S Match Barrel, shooting Hornady 75g A-Max. After running in and testing numerous loads, have these A-Max getting .225" three shot groups. At least that's what I got with my last range day. Drop me a line if you want to chat further.

Stu in Australia

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 10:02am
Print Post  
Thanks, Stu. In talking to Ruger their first suggestion was that I shoot 75gr Hornady bullets. My response was that I wanted what I paid for. Wink Zero argument on their part. I want the ability to shoot the latest & greatest Berger, Sierra, Hornady or whomever's match bullets. So an 8" twist (or faster) is needed. If it doesn't shoot with the proper twist I'm thinking that 1V-weight barrel might just be perfect for a 32-40 rebore. Will keep you posted.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 22nd, 2016 at 7:01am
Print Post  
Just heard from Ruger. They have the 'correct twist' barrel on my Ruger No.1 and will be shipping it back. That wasn't too much of a delay and they handled everything up to now about as well as it could have been handled.

GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint