Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Wilkinson Powder Measure Funnel an Drop Tubes (?) (Read 2856 times)
Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Wilkinson Powder Measure Funnel an Drop Tubes (?)
May 25th, 2016 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
I recently bought a Wilkinson Powder Measure to case with some other Ballard reloading tools for my No. 6-1/2 Ballard Rigby offhand rifle.

Occasionally I see these powder measures with a drop tube but never with their funnel.   

A few years ago, before I ever cared about finding appropriate vintage reloading tools, I saw a separated funnel (pics attached) offered on eBay but didn't have very much familiarity with Wilkinson powder measures and didn't pay any attention to collecting vintage tools.  I think the funnel sold for approx. $100.  Boy was I dumb !

Is anyone making reproductions?  My guess is that there may not be enough demand but it's worth asking.

Thank you,
Joe D

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Wilkinson Powder Measure Funnel an Drop Tubes (?)
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2016 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
No repros, and even finding an antique tin funnel of a similar size and shape is a tedious endeavor--I looked over about a hundred before finding one that looked somewhat appropriate.  (They're found, incidentally, among the kitchen implements in antique shops.)

IP Logged

rodneys
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - May 26th, 2016 at 8:56am
Print Post  
yeah I would buy a repo funnel. mine is a copper home made affair.

IP Logged

ron
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - May 26th, 2016 at 10:25am
Print Post  
You might be able to get some info from the web site antique reloading tools.

I made a funnel using an aluminum powder funnel. Just reform the spout to the size that you want. Adapt a piece of brass to fit the hole in the measure and funnel, JB weld the adaptor to the funnel. When the JB weld is set install the funnel into the powder measure.

ron

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - May 26th, 2016 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
You can get a smaller size brass powder funnel from muzzle loading supply outfits that is used to fill powder flasks.
Some of the funnels are soft soldered to a threaded tube that lets you screw the assembly into the top of the flask.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 26th, 2016 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
It should be a very simple project for a journey level sheet metal man to make based on those that I have known and the graphics should be relatively easy to replicate.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint