Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) barrel length (Read 8130 times)
tdelewis

barrel length
May 12th, 2016 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
I have seen people who measure barrel length incorrectly.  Barrel length includes the part that is threaded into the action, correct?  I was watching Pawn Stars and a fellow brought in an 1886 Winchester.  Their gun expert was called in and measured the barrel only to the action not including the threads.  He said the barrel had been shortened 3/4 of an inch and they knocked down the price.  I think the gun expert is not that much of an expert.  You can bet when they sell it they will not tell the buyer that the barrel was shortened.  Just a comment after reading a post .

IP Logged

CajunRebel
Oldtimer

Re: barrel length
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2016 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
True, for a revolver.  From my discussion with the BATFE, the simplest way for rifles, pistols, and shotguns - to the bolt face.  Put a rod down the barrel, place a mark, and measure.

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - May 12th, 2016 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
tdelewis,
Seems like Pawn Stars measured only to the receiver
and then said it was shortened 3/4".
It may NOT have been shortened since the barrel goes into the receiver about that much.
So they could turn around and sell it as not cut....
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #3 - May 12th, 2016 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Wow a reality show that isn't real, That never happens!
Seriously the barrel length includes the shank.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #4 - May 12th, 2016 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Yup.  Bbl length is measured from bolt-face to muzzle.  (unless I'm wrong, but that has NEVER happened before)  Further, I NEVER exadurate.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

LONG RANGE
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - May 12th, 2016 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
You are right about the expert being somewhat less than. Did you see the one where the expert was down grading the very nice Whitney 36 caliber cap & ball revolver? He even said it had been rebored because it measured .375. What a crock.

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #6 - May 12th, 2016 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
I remember a Pope for sale at Julia Action and the expert had labeled the Muzzle Loading Rod as a "Wiping Rod" actually have seen that more than a couple of times. Regards, FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - May 12th, 2016 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
I watch a lot of the car related shows. They are also often wrong on the details as to what is right and what is wrong. I also hate it when the "restoration" guys modify and customize something instead of actually restoring it.

IP Logged

Pentz
Senior Forum Member

Funf und Zwanzig mit den
Hut

Reply #8 - May 13th, 2016 at 12:17am
Print Post  
I'd say the pawnbroker was an expert at screwing the owner of the rifle by faking the true barrel length.

ASSRA Member Yoostabe # 11497

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - May 13th, 2016 at 12:34am
Print Post  
Bottom line is he could have done some pre-sale research before taking someones word on it or simply refused the offer and then done some so he might have simply screwed himself.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #10 - May 13th, 2016 at 10:21am
Print Post  
"Expert" is a pretty loose term. Most “experts” are very knowledgeable about a very small slice of their field. For example most auction “experts” are pretty good with commercial firearms if it came out of a factory some body wrote a book and they can look it up. They don’t do so well with custom made target firearms. Most competitors have little to no regard for factory specs. If a modification helps them they put it on and don’t care that it isn’t factory correct. Most auction don’t understand or care about shooter collectors they will break up rifles and their shooting kits in a heartbeat to get more money for the seller. That is how so many Pope false muzzles have gotten separated from their rifles over the years the rifle gets sold on the first day and the kit with the false muzzle re&de mold and range book get sold two days later as Assorted reloading tools. The auction houses mostly wouldn’t know Pope from Parkenfarker by site. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #11 - May 13th, 2016 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
That would make a fun article - not in the Journal - to put together a Franken-Pope-Parkenfarker and market it on one or more of 'the' auction houses.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

colo native
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - May 14th, 2016 at 9:04am
Print Post  
Rifles, shotguns, pistols, from the bolt face, but revolvers from the front of the cylinder, if I am not mistaken... Cheesy

IP Logged

shovel80
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - May 14th, 2016 at 9:12am
Print Post  
Seems pretty simple..."Barrel Length" is just that...the length of the Whole Barrel...End to End..
Funny how some people don't get that Smiley

Terry

ASSRA Member # 11021
IP Logged

CajunRebel
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - May 14th, 2016 at 9:23am
Print Post  
How to measure bra size... oops, wrong one.  Cheesy

ATF Standard Method to Measure Barrel Lengths

This is ATF's standard method for measuring the length of gun barrels - it has been documented to be the case for shotguns and rifles. I haven't found anything stating that this is the standard method for handguns, but technically it should be fine.
Procedure
Unload the weapon.
Close the action.
Cock the action (this is important - unless cocked, the firing pin will protrude from the bolt face and may not provide the correct measurement.
Run a dowel rod of approximately the bore diameter, down the barrel.
When the rod is down as far as it will go, mark the spot where the barrel and any permanently mounted attachments end on the rod. Screwed-on attachments do not count.
Measure the length of the rod between the mark you just made, and the end which you ran down the barrel.
In practice, unless you're pushing really close to a minimum length limit, you could just use a cleaning rod in place of a dowel. But if you're close, you should get a rod of the same diameter as the barrel. On shotguns especially, it's possible for a slightly-angled rod to measure a longer distance than a rod of the correct diameter.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint