Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Wiping rod source? (Read 8540 times)
boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Wiping rod source?
Reply #15 - May 5th, 2016 at 10:49am
Print Post  
Delrin  comes in many sizes but plastic suppliers don't always stock all available.

Thin ones are wippy for sure. Home cleaning I prefer wood for anything 40 or up, or if a smaller bore Steel. 
I use Steel in my .25 calibers. Have a 1/4 inch Delrin that works fine in .32 caliber at the firing line.

You could take a 1/4 inch Oak rod chuck it up in the lathe and sand it down to fit a .25, does not take much off to fit.  One of my Marlin CLA Silhouette rifles will fail to extract at times, Have a 6 inch 1/2 inch brass rod cut down just a bit to be a slip fit. Drop it in the muzzle it knocks the empty out fast during a relay.

The Delrin rod has the advantage of working around a tang sight or high comb, that's why I use one in my 32/40 Schuetzen.

If I had to buy them would only have a few rods. Making them have a rack celling of my shop with a dozen or more each a special job.

Boats

IP Logged

nuclearcricket
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - May 5th, 2016 at 10:58am
Print Post  
Arnie, I have made 2. What I did was to order the material 5' long and them made 2 rods 4' and 2 rods 1' to wipe out the chambers. I don't remember the exact cost but I think that I have just about in mine as what your selling yours for.  If you can buy in volume they you offer the much better deal than what I could ever do. I made my rods from 5/16 white material so I could do my .38 with them but I don't have any problems pushing them down a .44 barrel caked with black powder.  If I need to mine lead, I have steel rods to do that with along with custom cut jags.
Sam

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - May 5th, 2016 at 11:46am
Print Post  
NC that 5/16 inch White is what I use too. Just measured it's not 1/4 like I said before. Makes a good rod, bends a bit in the bore but all I use it for is a quick wipe. Hard work use steel and a bore guide.

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint