Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Sharps Borchardt?? (Read 3213 times)
RwBeV
Participating Member

Sharps Borchardt??
May 1st, 2016 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
I bought a bunch of what I was told "a pile of single shots" sight unseen. In the "pile" was a Sharps Borchardt action and what appears to be some sort of a hanger bar for the forend. It looks the be complete all but one locking screw, it has a screw installed for trigger adjustment and at sometime had been blued.  I was told it was at one time a varmint rifle of some sort.  Anyone know what it would be worth?
thanks
Bob

IP Logged

Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Re: Sharps Borchardt??
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2016 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
Hello Bob ...

The value will depend on whether it is a military Borchardt action or a sporting rifle action. ... and then there's the overall metal condition and modifications. 

Without photos, $700 - 1-300. 

Photos will help a lot ...
Joe

IP Logged

RwBeV
Participating Member

Reply #2 - May 1st, 2016 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
I'm sure its a military action. I will get some pictures first chance I get.

IP Logged

RwBeV
Participating Member

Reply #3 - May 2nd, 2016 at 1:33am
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 2nd, 2016 at 8:12am
Print Post  
Hello RwBeV,
Yours is a Military Borchardt and appears from the photographs to be in good condition and although ruined as a collectors model, they do serve to make a good Mid or Long Range target rifle. You say there's a lug under the barrel, is it just a few inches in front of the action? If so it is the block that mounts the Lever Spring and also attaches the rear end of the fore Arm. I can see it in one of your pictures lying detached from the barrel with the lever spring still attached.
Is the trigger 'adjustment' a screw that is adjusted from the top of the mainspring housing on the rear end of breech block? If so this does not adjust the trigger pull per se, but adjusts the sear lever engagement in the sear notch on the Firing Pin or firing bolt as Sharps called it. These can be touchy, set too shallowly a tap on the side of the rifle may cause it to fire. It was a common addition invented in the 1920's and many Borchardt's have them fitted.

As to value, anywhere between $1,000 and $1500. Depending on how much the person wanting to buy it is willing to pay. One thing is, they aren't getting any cheaper. A very nice find.

Harry
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2016 at 5:56pm by »  

IP Logged

RwBeV
Participating Member

Reply #5 - May 4th, 2016 at 7:54am
Print Post  
I had a buddy look at it the other day, he adjusted the sear and confirmed that the holes drilled to hold the hanger bar on did not hurt anything.  It has had the firing pin bushed and seems to be in good shape. Thanks for all the help.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #6 - May 4th, 2016 at 8:40am
Print Post  
Quite a few Borchardts were converted to varminters in the early days of that sport.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint