Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Grand Schuetzenfest / National Match (Read 7718 times)
frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Grand Schuetzenfest / National Match
Reply #30 - May 1st, 2016 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on May 1st, 2016 at 9:20pm:
Frank, Do you want me to come down and shoot 100 shots offhand?  Roll Eyes

Yes Bob but, instead of a $100 prize, you get a meal worth a million at our Oct shoot.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

CodyS

Reply #31 - May 1st, 2016 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
Fellas, the more I think and stew on this subject, the more I think the ASSRA is going to have to do something to change.  If the average age of the members is in the 60's or 70's, we have 10 or so years to figure out a way to attract new blood, otherwise it will be the end.  Obviously what is going on now is not working, so a change needs to be made.  Maybe the idea of trying to promote some big matches will help?  We keep saying we need to attract new shooters.  Well, what attracts them?  Fame and fortune.  That is large prizes and notoriety.  We can do it if someone wants to head it up.  I have three small kids and a business that takes a lot of time, so I don't feel I have the time or money to do it.  I would definitely help however I could, however.  Just thinking....

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - May 1st, 2016 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
Cody, that is what seems to be the problem.  Our "younger" members-- mostly in their 30's and 40s have kids, businesses and family responsibilities.  they might be able to get away of a couple matches each summer.  Our regular shooters who can and do come and shoot most of the events are fast approaching or above retirement age, with all the health and income issues that entails. 
  I'm past retirement age--but still have to keep working.  but for the past years I have managed to attend most events--get there early in the week to help get stuff set up, do whatever I can to pitch in and help keep the match running smoothly and then usually end up the last guy leaving on Sundays after the clean-up and pack up.   But this year some family health issues have forced me to cut way back on my involvement.   Many of our other older members have given years of their good service to the club and would still if they could.  

So who is going to bell the cat?

Even if we could wave a magic wand and gain a dozen or two new serious recruits there'd be a learning curve.  I think the RIP is premature but there have been ups and downs, unfortunate problems and @3^^&*-ing disasters,  but some how working together we have pulled through.  over the course of a summer the have probably had more total shooters in the past year or two than the previous 5 or maybe ten. 
   I just do not see how, barring a major business underwriting the lion's share of the costs, a National Grand Union Schuetzen-Fest can be made to work.   I think a couple or Three or Four regional joint ASSRA-ISSA (or ISSA-ASSRA--if it matters) events might work. In areas where there are other single shot groups with common interests and if everyone can work out some sort of comfortable set of working rules and standards might be able to join in. 

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - May 1st, 2016 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on May 1st, 2016 at 9:27pm:
Schuetzenmiester wrote on May 1st, 2016 at 9:20pm:
Frank, Do you want me to come down and shoot 100 shots offhand?  Roll Eyes

Yes Bob but, instead of a $100 prize, you get a meal worth a million at our Oct shoot.

Frank

But Frank, I'm too fat already.  R U sure I can't cash it out?  Roll Eyes

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint