Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Grand Schuetzenfest / National Match (Read 7703 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Grand Schuetzenfest / National Match
Apr 30th, 2016 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
This a continuation of a conversation posted in another topic that was not directly related so I have moved it here for further input.

DW when Coors backed out of the mathes at Golden Colo. they developed the Coors Range at the NRA Center outside of Raton NM so those matches could continue and it was then handed over to the ISSA. The National Event is still being held on the Coors Range on a yearly basis and all are welcome to come. Is this not just a continuation of the mathes that Coors held in the so called Golden years. What exactly would one be expecting to be different from what the ISSA already has to offer by developing a new Grand Schuetzenfest event? Accomodating a big group of shooters is not a problem, its centerally located, really nice prizes are awarded yet thier attendance has been way down so what is it exactly that I am missing here that Coors offered that the ISSA currently does not? The only thing that comes to my mind is the celebrity match and all of the free beer so I just don't get it could someone please point it all out to myself and this group.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Grand Schuetzenfest / National Match
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
sponsorship for the expenses, prizes, promotion Advertisement.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
I can understand the possible need for promotion and advertisment but the current match hasn't required outside funding that I am aware of and the prizes and sponsorship have always been an existing part of it. RKS Barrels, Russ Weber Seaters, CPA, Hodgdon, Brownells, Starline Brass, Sierra, Midway etc.

Hopefully Randy Wright will also provide some input, maybe that has changed and he would be the one to know as a poster on this site who has been actively involved in the ISSA association. 

It would seem if something is broke per-say it might be able to be fixed? Currently there are not enough in this sport to create another seperation by proposing a match that could have ill affects on the current attendance that keeps these matches up and running. There are not many who could afford or get the time off to attend two Big National Events in a year so one or both will suffer by doing so and hopefully it would not kill the current one for good.

JLouis

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Ken I think I am starting to understand the romance of those matches so was it the Coors $$$$$ that made it so Golden? Was that $$$$ given out as a part of the winning prizes as were the rifles that were built for the event and those donated that played the big part of the now lost romance? Or was it just the location and being around those who attended at the time and the BS sessions after each daily event while putting down a nice cold drink.

JLouis

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Thanks Ken!

JLouis

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
After giving it some thought Ken I am not sure if anyone could match such a grand event today and if such a match were attempted I am sure it would even come close to meeting those same expectations as those shoes would be hard to fill to say the least. It would be a big risk and given a bad rap if it wasn't pulled off to meet those same expectations when everyone arrived there and you are looking at allot of $$$$$$$$$ spent to try and pull it off. It would take corporate money and not even close to what the ASSRA and ISSA together could provide and a year or more just to put it all together and get it well publicized etc.

Now I understand clearly and it is a perfect example of the saying it is easier said than done.
Thanks Again!
JLouis
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2016 at 5:51pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
If you want to know more about a shoot like this, read these threads. It also will tell you how many can be expected, JUST on this forum.

forum.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1449276702

forum.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1449276702/15

If you want this beloved sport and the rifles that make it to die out, just continue on with your heads beneth the sand, saying it can't be done, it can't be done.

You don't know that and how said it will be to future shooters to say "I wonder why no one tried to save it". So sad Sad

Come on guys, a little many times over, makes a lot. Donate things to sell and the funds go to a shoot, send in money in a escrow account to make it happen, volunteer your help and prizes. Just do SOMETING positive, please.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
The shoots are very much alive and well and thier death is not a threat, take your pick Etna Green, Davenport, Raton NM, Tommy Masons, an ISSA Regional event in your area or a multitude of monthly or other match formats currently being held accross the nation including your own. We offer 10 matches a year monthly from Feb. to Nov. including the ISSA Regional in May. Our monthly matches are packed to our limits we would have to change our current format to try and accomodate them all with new shooters heads poping out of the sand! San Diego thier ISSA Regional and thier yearly OctoberFest in addition to thier regular matches. The Sierra Schutzen Club hosts a match a month every month out of the year that being 12 and on and on and on!

Dead, Dying, Going, Going Gone! I Don't Think So!

JLouis

« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2016 at 8:12pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Frank where does your group shoot thier ISSA Regional Event at in Oregon? 

JLouis

IP Logged

CodyS

Reply #9 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
I agree the sport is far from dead.  I have argued about the BPCR not being dead for some time.  We have had a lot of interest and support at our new range we built in southeast Wyoming.  I would also really like to see a big national schuetzenfest and think that it is possible, but unlikely.  Everyone talks about the success of 3 gun, but if you analyze it two main things become apparent.  Number one is there is a lot of money generated because all those shooters need a lot of new, expensive gear.  Manufactures are quick to invest in matches as it promotes their goods.  The problem with BPCR and schuetzen is that there are no manufactures making a lot of money from selling us stuff.  Therefore, investment in us is a poor choice.  Basically, we will not be able to offer fancy prizes and have a big show without a some wealthy group feeling charitable (Coors for example).  I really don't think sponsoring schuetzen matches sold enough extra beer to recoup their investment.  The second thing we notice about three gun is the competition and the recognition of the winners.    They make a big deal out of winning!  This is much like the giant schuetzenfests of the turn of the century; big prizes and lots of winner recognition.  Fast forward to today and we are unable to offer huge prizes and I don't think we give the winners the recognition they deserve.  It seems many shooting sports are being promoted on the "come have fun" social event idea.  So many of our clubs and matches have become a geezer cliche made up of grumpy old set in their ways men and are not open to anything new.  They get so they "own" their area of the range and do little to promote the sport other than continually complain how nobody shows up.  Not that we should, but if we could somehow put up a 50,000 purse and have it televised showing the winners getting their prizes and making their names heard all over the shooting community, I don't think we would have a hard time attracting about a thousand folks. If there is any doubt to what I am saying, check out the American Marksman deal going on right now.  Fame and fortune is what people want.   
Just my thoughts, Cody

IP Logged

CodyS

Reply #10 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
For the most part, I am happy with things the way they are.  Good folks, competitive shooting, and a lot of fun.  People shoot schuetzen and BPCR because they truly love the sport and like the people they shoot with. Bigger is not always better.  I do wish, however, I would have been old enough to have been involved in the Coors days.
take care, Cody

IP Logged

CodyS

Reply #11 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
The more I think about it, 500 shooters times $250 entry fee is $125,000.  We could have a 50k purse and spend 50k on putting the match on, and still make a little money.  Hmmm, anybody want to front about 100 grand?

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
CodyS wrote on Apr 30th, 2016 at 8:54pm:
The more I think about it, 500 shooters times $250 entry fee is $125,000.  We could have a 50k purse and spend 50k on putting the match on, and still make a little money.  Hmmm, anybody want to front about 100 grand?

But all the shooters with scores in the ISSA and ASSRA isn't more than about 300 is it?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Did anyone ever talk to Brett Boyd and get "the numbers" from the Grand American Schuetzenfests that were held in DeSoto, KS?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
Cody I could not agree more. Sometimes there are those who mimic our current government that seems to care more about those outside of this country and the thier health and wellfare instead of their own that being us! If a clubs Scuhetzen matches are lacking attendance or there is not a Regional Event offered in your area should not that be the first priority before trying to move onto bigger and better things. One should be more concerned about taking care of and growing thier own area first. I hear the referance quite often build it and they will come about the proposed big Schuetzen Event when it should in reality pertain to establishing some highly attended local matches and establishing a regional event in the area that they live in first and formost. The big event should be having matches at ones own club on a regular basis that is what will keep this sport alive. If someone does not have anywhere to shoot these matches in his own area on a regular basis what would make anyone think they would suddenly pack pack their Schuetzen rifle, hit the road, spend a large sum of money and travel hundreds of miles to shoot in Grand Event they didn't even have a place to go to gain some competitive experiance first? The regional matches I speak of are ISSA and they are the pre- qualifiers for thier yearly International Schuetzen event at Raton NM. You do not have to qualify to attend it is how they rank you so when you arrive are you are shooting with a group of like abilities based on the regional scores. If one has not shot a regional he or she will be placed in the highest ranking group that is why establishing a regional event is important to ones group so those in your group that might attend can be ranked properly giving them a fair chance to win thier fights by competiting with those with the like abilities. A regional does not have to be shot at your home club and we have some that come to ours generally the closest one offered. You can also shoot several regionals a year quite popular for the retired group of mostly retired regional shooting travelers as their averages is what determines ones ranking and its a great way to visit and shoot with others accross the country and ending up at Raton to shoot the big event.

I also need to make a correction the ISSA event at Raton NM is not a National Event it is an International Event and I apogize for my error.

JLouis
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2016 at 10:32pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint