Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Is This a Sharps Replica? (Read 2064 times)
Edward C. Sharps
Participating Member

Is This a Sharps Replica?
Apr 30th, 2016 at 9:22am
Print Post  
Was in a local gunshot yesterday replentishing my supply of Goex when I spied a Sharps rifle on the used rack. The clerk insisted it is a Shiloh Sharps, but the barrel is marked with a Hartford, Conn address. In small letters it is stamped Business Rifle and it has been drilled and tapped for scope blocks and a tang sight. Caliber is .45. On the tang on of the holes is through one of the serial numbers. The number has been restamped above the hole with a stamp to match the other numbers. Same font, I guess you could say. I could find no marking that the rifle was made in either Mt or NY, but the guy insists it is a Shiloh replica even as I remarked on the Hartford address. Bore is very good, but the finish is terrible; it needs a reblue and it appears that someone tried to blue the receiver. The barrel is 26". I should've taken pictures and written down the serial number but I was too flummoxed at figuring out what it was. We're any replicas made in Hartford? Thanks

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Is This a Sharps Replica?
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 11:13am
Print Post  
Shilohs were made either in Farmingdale, NY, or in Big Timber, MT.  They should have that information stamped on the left side of the receiver.

If the finish on the one you saw is badly buffed out and botch blued, it might obscure the plethora of proof marks the Italian copies have stamped on their receivers, but the Shiloh stamping is deep enough so it ought to be plainly visible anyway.

The serial numbers on my three Big Timber Shilohs are across the upper part of the rear tang almost to the loading groove on the rear of the receiver.  A number down the length of the tang sounds like an original, or an Italian copy.

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Re: Is This a Sharps Replica?
Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2016 at 8:30am
Print Post  
Edward,
Sharps did have a Factory in Hartford Connecticut, which closed during extensive litigation with the British Government. Later in the mid 1870's the company was reformed under new management and a new Factory was built in Bridgeport, Connecticut which was very much up to date, it cost in total a million bucks, not chickenfeed back in the day. 

I would obtain pictures if you can and have an expert look them over, or post them here for an opinion. I presume it is a side hammer model. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Harry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint