Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Donating reference material to the ASSRA (Read 823 times)
slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Donating reference material to the ASSRA
Apr 26th, 2016 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
I am 71 and planning to out live all of you guys but we all die at some point. I have a decent collection of books and other reference material that I have accumulated on Stevens and other single shots that I am thinking about giving to the ASSRA after I am gone. I am thinking they could keep what they want for the archives and sell the rest to raise funds. Might be the best way for my family to dispose of it after I am gone. Guns will be sold but the books aren't worth a ton of money and I am thinking that would be a better option. How do I go about this?

IP Logged

fallingblock
ASSRA Board Member

Re: Donating reference material to the ASSRA
Reply #1 - Apr 26th, 2016 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
We appreciate your plan to donate books to the ASSRA.  When the time comes, your heirs can contact the Archivist (if it is no longer me) and have them shipped to the Archives' address at that time.

What you're proposing to do is exactly how the Archives is able to pay about half of the cost of maintaining the Archives back to the ASSRA. Many members have given books and other items to the Archives that they no longer need. I have done so myself as I have duplicates of many books. Also, many of my personal books are cataloged as part of the Archives, which I will donate to the ASSRA as you are proposing.

I will be putting a notice in the Journal soon regarding the gift of a large group of Michael Petrov's papers to the Archives by his wife Janet Petrov and Joe Dobrzynski, who coordinated the donation of the material. As many of you know, Michael had a lot of material--the majority of it is bolt action material but there is enough on Niedner and Single Shots to make it well worthwhile. 

The ASSRA archives' focus is on single shots but the Archives has extensive holdings of other material.  Rudi's theory was that if it is shooting related, we should collect it as most other libraries are not interested in the shooting sports.

Cheers,
Laurie Gapko
ASSRA Archivists

Cheers,
Laurie
ASSRA Secretary & Archivist

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint