Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Babe ready for action (Read 2724 times)
powderman
Senior Forum Member

Babe ready for action
Apr 26th, 2016 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
Here is a babe with a Stevens, all set to go.

Regards,
Powderman

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Re: Babe ready for action
Reply #1 - Apr 26th, 2016 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
This is a pic of Lillian Smith who was Annie Oakley's hated rival, it was rumored that Lillian liked men and was "of easy virtue." Lillian is holding her trusty Winchester 1873, but the other rifle is either a low-wall or a Ballard, I'm not sure;  Huh

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Apr 26th, 2016 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
This is from the PBS "American Experiece" website for the show on Annie Oakley:

The California Girl
Lillian Frances Smith was born in 1871 in Coleville, California. At the age of seven, she became bored with dolls and asked her father for a "little rifle" instead. 

She performed in San Francisco at age 10, and soon her father offered a 5000 dollar wager that no one could beat her. This was not an idle boast -- she challenged Doc Carver, one of the era's best-known marksmen, to a competition in St. Louis, and he never showed up. 

Buffalo Bill Cody discovered her while touring in California, and she joined the Wild West in time for its summer 1886 run on Staten Island. The 15-year-old Smith became "the champion California huntress."

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 26th, 2016 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
While the rivalry between Oakley and Smith was real and the contemporary documentation of their "feud" is likely as accurate as one could expect between major entertainment stars, my question has always been: did they ever actually shoot against each other?

As best I can research, there are two supposed incidents.  The first and most repeated is that when both women were with Buffalo Bill on his 1887 tour of England, Oakley challenged Smith to a match at Wimbledon for which the latter did not show.  But as best I can ascertain, what actually happened is that Smith made an impromptu visit to that hallowed rifle range sans Oakley, only to give a poor shooting performance, doubly embarrassing because Smith shot best with a rifle.

The other story is that the two women finally met at the 1902 Grand American Handicap where Oakley, whose greatest expertise was with shotguns, out shot Smith.  But researching the published records, again, ascertains that the meet's only other female competitor and against whom Oakley did shoot was Sophrona Johnston.  Furthermore, Mrs. Johnston (of Minneapolis, Minnesota) was both a good friend of Oakley's and a well-known trap shooter in her own right - i.e., she was not Lillian Smith "in disguise".

Anyway, if anyone can substantiate an honest-to-God shoot-out between Oakley, and Smith, I'd love to learn of it.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint