Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Best scope power for benchrest (Read 4751 times)
Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Best scope power for benchrest
Apr 23rd, 2016 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
What is your opinion of the best magnification for benchrest,
assuming good resolution.
I know every scope is different, what do you use?
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

MT Chambers

Re: Best scope power for benchrest
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2016 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
For "classic" Br. my CPA wears a Unertl 20X. For modern BR. either j-word or cast, 36 -45 power. I have Weaver 36X and Leupold 40X, the Weavers are prolly most cost efficient.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2016 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
center fire or rimfire, 100 or 200 yards------or much longer ranges.

also what game are you playing and what are their technical rules-----that can make a HUGE difference in your options too

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2016 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
I use a 20x Unertl on my 33-47 and a 36x B&L on my 22 RF.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Apr 23rd, 2016 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
I like 20 - 25X for a all round scope @ 200 yards. With experience, a 20x can be used OH to good effect and starting at ~20x, you can see the bullet prints w/o trouble and don't need a spotting scope. All this, assuming a good quality scope. I have one 36x scope and reserve it for my 25 caliber BR, that I never shoot Smiley

For 22 RF, 15x is enough for 100 yards. I just mounted a 16x Redfield 3200 on one of my 22's and was surprised at how well I could see the bullet holes.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Pentz
Senior Forum Member

Funf und Zwanzig mit den
Hut

Reply #5 - Apr 23rd, 2016 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
I have a STS 20x dot for my Aydt, and use a 30x STS for my CPA bench rifle.  No need for spotting scope with either one, plenty sharp for my eye.

ASSRA Member Yoostabe # 11497

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #6 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 8:18am
Print Post  
When I got my Mitchell scope George and I talked about magnification and what it would be used for. I told him schuetzen bench rest at 200 yards. I told him I thought 20 to 24. George thought a minute and said that the best glass he had for scopes he marked as 24 but it really worked out to just shy of 27 and asked if that was OK. I have never regretted my choice. There are many days when the guys with 36 and 40+ scopes have quit because of mirage and I’m still grinding out a target. 24ish gives you all the power you need to see and still shoot in mirage.

40 Rod

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
I just returned to a 11/2X20XUnertl for traditional sake. When I was out to set CBA cast bullet records in the 100/200yd. plainbase Benchrest events I used a 42X NF with an 1/8 and 1/16 minute dot. Mirage out my way is horrific and I never had a problem with the power being a problem. It has allot / everything to do with the quality of the lenses and if they were available at that point in time I would have gone with a 60X March. One of the fellows in our group uses one and the mirage didn't present any problems while looking through his scope. It all depends on what ones goals are and the available funds to support them. A March can set you back around $3000.00+ dollars and a Night Force BR in the $2000.00 dollar range or just shy of. One can only shoot as good as he sees and that is why the jacketed benchrest group uses the various high quality and higher magnification varieties such as the March and that is also why some of them shoot so well. In our sport of Schuetzen you will want something that picks up points and doesn't drop them what ever that power that might turn out be for your particular vision. If the opportunity exists look through several different ones before actually buying something that may or may not fit your personal needs.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
John, If a $2000 NF eliminates mirage, why doesn't a $2000 Kowa do it?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
The answer is beyond me Bob all I can truthfully state is that I never had to turn my NF below 42X due to the Mirage?, fact is it made it easier to read and to shoot. Spotting the shots being wiped out by the Mirage after a shot has been fired is entirely a different subject all together and not what the NF scope was being used for. I have yet to see any glass spotting scope or otherwise no matter how high the quality of the lenses are that can overcome that issue without the additional help of a red filter.

JLouis

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
I might add the mirage is always there even if you turn down the power but in doing so the error factor goes also goes up by not being able to see the full effects of its strength more clearly for the lack of a proper word as the target is far from being clear and the bullets holes at times impossible to see.

The main objective is to see it so you can shoot it and to turn down the power to try and avoid it does not help as the magnitude of the ill effects from it are still there as they just don't simply go away because the power was turned down!

JLouis
« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2016 at 7:30pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
John, I think I misunderstood your original point.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint