Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Traditional 28's Traditional Cartridges Only (Read 13434 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Traditional 28's Traditional Cartridges Only
Reply #15 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
Waterman the 28-35SS is becoming a very popular choice in our group with some rifles being specifically built for the Offhand matches. A few years ago you wouldn't see a 28 on the line in our matches and now there are seven either built or purchased and only one of them is a 28-30, all of the others use the 25-35 case blown out to 28. Good 28-30 brass has almost become impossible to find thus the need to make a change to the current case being used along with the availability of the reamer being used.
There were three of us starting out and we wanted to see which 28 case would prove to be the best choice. One a 28-30, one the 28-35 and my choice was the 357Max straight tapered to 28. My choice was short lived about a year as it just didn't pan out as expected. The 28-35 turned out to be the best choice so both the 28-30 and my 357Max / 28 were re-chambered to the 28-35 and a few others have now built rifles using the same 28-35 reamer. Mine is specifically being used for the any sight benchrest matches and I have shot it in some of the Iron Sight matches as well. To give one an idea of the potential accuracy below is a picture of my Iron Sight targets from last year and one of two 247's that were shot. All though not in a match I have shot couple of 250's in practice outings and I have also done quite well in the benchrest matches when I do my part. It is extremely enjoyable and I hope this encourages others to give the 28's a serious try. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
John,
Are the Quarter Bore shooters a elite group? There is very little difference between QB and the Traditional 28's. 

I'm really not understanding your reasoning regarding this. It would seem that it would be much easier to just sell your FBW action and by a original 44 1/2, HW, Ballard, Borchart or even a RB, than try to change a established group. I hear no out cry about allowing a non-traditional action for the QB matches nor do I hear them being called "elitist".

For interest in the Traditional 28's, why not put on matches at your range and add your results as a non-qualifying entry? There are far to many "modern" actions being used and just because a action uses a external hammer, doesn't make it "Traditional". 

The Traditional classification is there for a reason and should be encouraged not set aside for any one person. I would encourage you to try to keep our shooting as traditional as possible. It's about all we have left to keep us alive.

Another option to you is to start a Modern 28 group, you can make up any rules that you like that way.

The easy way is to build a confoming rifle, I can't cange the rules!

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
Am I understanding this correctly? A 30-30 necked down to 28-30-30 is not legal but a 25-35 blown out to 28-35 is legal? 

If both are not legal, why not?  25-35 is based on 30-30 case.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
Frank the Quarter Bore Group is an extremely alive and active group thanks to Ken Meyers and yes I would consider it be an elite group why wouldn't I or anyone else for that matter?

The Traditional 28 group hasn't shown any life to it in at least two years now thanks to whom may I ask? No scores, no match announcements, no updates, no anything not even a word of encouragement to let others who might be interested that it still even exists unlike the way the Quarter Bore Group is managed.

Keep it as you will its yours to run and manage and I surely don't need to be a part of it and I would guess those like myself who don't quite fit the rules don't need it either. Sometimes change is good especially when something has already died a slow and meaningless death in an attempt to try and bring at least a part of it back to life. 

It was just a bit of friendly advice and I can see it was un-welcomed as such with an elitist type attitude and so its time for me to simply move onto something more constructive for those outside your group.

JLouis

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Apr 24th, 2016 at 2:44pm:
Am I understanding this correctly? A 30-30 necked down to 28-30-30 is not legal but a 25-35 blown out to 28-35 is legal? 

A cartridge case originally using a black powder loading... just turn off the 25-35 and 30-30 headstamps and claim you formed your 28s from 38-55 brass (like some 32-40 shooters will have to do).     Grin

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Apr 24th, 2016 at 3:35pm:
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Apr 24th, 2016 at 2:44pm:

A cartridge case originally using a black powder loading... just turn off the 25-35 and 30-30 headstamps and claim you formed your 28s from 38-55 brass (like some 32-40 shooters will have to do).     Grin

But what if the factory doesn't load BP today?  Cheesy 

On secod thought, why not form 30-30 to 25-35 then blow it out?  Roll Eyes

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Or you could buy 25-35 from Starline.    Wink

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
Or Hornady

JLouis

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Why scrap what you already have and buy the same basic thing new?

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
If the case head size and the lenth of the case was loaded originally with BP, you may do anything to it's shape, to make it 28 caliber. The 38/50 was originally loaded with BP, it's the same case head and length as the 30/30 so, you may do anything you like to make a 2" long 28 caliber from it. Same as you can also do that to the 45/70 or the 32 Ideal or 30/30 Wesson (357 Max).

The rules were made to incourage wildcating as was done for new cartridges in the "Golden Era". But, you are restricted to rifles that meet the Traditional Class in both ASSRA & ISSA. That's part of the QB rules, also.

The class was design, not to be elitist but, to encourage the use of Traditional rifles and wildcating. Besides the 28/30, Mann did 3 other lengths based on that case, the was a 28 on the 32 Ideal case, another one on the 32/35 Stevens case, as well as the first known 28 bases on the 32 Wesson XL. It predated the 25/20SS that was also based on the 32 Wesson XL.

The only real restriction is that you have to use a Traditional action. There are lots of them still around and many people are still building Traditional class rifles for ASSRA & ISSA competition. The Traditional class was started to preserve this type of competition and not allow modern improvements like wide forearms or space age looking single shots, whether pre 1917 or not.

John, what you need to do, is go back a re-fight trying to get the FBW action, listed as traditional. Then it's a done deal, you qualify.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
The established rules I would assume would be the dictating factor Bob and the lack of wanting to amend such rules by the current leadership. Here is an example of a similar scenario only car related and the example does not pertain to anyone on this site so please don't try to read anything into it, it simply a random example so please view it as such.

A fellow decides he would like to start up a Ford Mustang Club when all he owns is a Volkswagon, he can't even participate it what he is going to create. Yet this fellow will become the one responsible to organize, promote, advertise to seek new members, create activities, club functions, keep records and should have extensive or at least some basic knowledge in all things Mustang related to keep the club up and running, active and in good health. 

Unfortunately it doesn't quite turn out as planned as he has had to many Irons in the fire for over two plus years now and all though he now has the carburetor he is still waiting for a car to put it on and any suggestions to keep the club going from an outsider are strictly forbidden as they might slightly deviate from the current rules, no seat covers are allowed but being he is the originator of the group he is also the only one exempt from not having to own a Mustang to be a member so one can easily visualize where this group might be headed.

JLouis

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Frank in an earlier post you quoted "Bob, If your interested, I can send you the rules but, basically you can use any case that was available in a BP cartridge and neck it to 28 cal. You can not shorten it though, accept for the 28/30, that because F W Mann made 3 diffent lenghts of 28's on the 28/30 case."

If the 30-30 case becomes shorter when transforming it into 28 of which is quite typical at times would it still be legal?

JLouis

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
32 Ideal or 30/30 Wesson (357 Max) 

Frank, The 357 Max can be used to form 32 Ideal or 30/30 Wesson, but 30-30 cannot be used to form 28-35?

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
Gee, how could anybody possibly read anything into THAT?

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Apr 24th, 2016 at 6:55pm:

If the 30-30 case becomes shorter when transforming it into 28 of which is quite typical at times would it still be legal?

JLouis

It will become longer, The answer is yes, if trimmed to within .030 of 38/50 length.

Shorter will be yes, if within reason. For now, I'll say as much as .030, shorter than 2.0" There are tolerances in all things manufactured.

So, BP cartridge nominal length, +/- .030. That's my opinion but, if a protest were filed about length, I guess I'd half to do a poll on the forum for a final answer. 

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint