Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Thank you Steven Durren!! (Read 5691 times)
gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Thank you Steven Durren!!
Apr 20th, 2016 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
A while ago I contacted Steven Durren to see if he could make a modern copy of my favorite original rifle, an 1885 Winchester Special Single Shot.

The rifle is incredible.  Steven I would have phoned you to thank you, but I figured I'd share this with everyone.   

Here are a couple of photos of the original next to the one that Steven made.   This rifle is just beautiful.  Even the wood matches the original rifle.   I could not have asked for more.      

You might notice a few differences.  I decided rather than a direct copy, to go with what I'd have ordered back in the 1890's.   The original is a half octagon in .32-40 with a #4 barrel.   The modern one is a .38-55 with a full octagon #5 BRC barrel.  The checkering is the "ace of spades" pattern rather than the standard pattern.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Chris.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Thank you Steven Durren!!
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
Very, very nice, indeed. My compliments to the builders, then and now. And to the wise purchaser of both.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Indeed, that is some beautiful work (both of them). 

Whose action is the new one based on?

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
Beautiful rifle my friend and its that kind of quality that gets one into the Guild and that is not an easy feat to accomplish. 
I have always admired Steve's work his combination of Artistry and Gunsmithing is superb and the articles he used to write for the ASSRA Journal were and are priceless and I miss them dearly. I saved them all and refer to them quite often as one who does his own work and I thank him for sharing his hard earned knowledge so freely.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
John he's quite a craftsman that's for sure!  I think there are very few people who could have done such excellent work.

Glenn the action is a C. Sharps that has been milled to be  a "thin side" with a rounded receiver ring.  We started before there was any talk of the MVA actions otherwise we'd have used one of their DST actions.

Chris.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #5 - Apr 21st, 2016 at 9:29am
Print Post  
I wish that you wouldn't put stuff like that up. Now my wait time to get some of Steve's work has just gone up again. This is the kind of work that you can expect from Steve. And by the way I really like the case color job that Steve did.

40 Rod

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Apr 21st, 2016 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
40_Rod wrote on Apr 21st, 2016 at 9:29am:
I wish that you wouldn't put stuff like that up. Now my wait time to get some of Steve's work has just gone up again. This is the kind of work that you can expect from Steve. And by the way I really like the case color job that Steve did.

40 Rod

I think it's your fault Smiley.  You were one of the ones who recommended Mr. Durren to me for this project Smiley

Chris.

IP Logged

patriot
Participating Member

Reply #7 - Apr 21st, 2016 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
Wow, stunning work.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 6:47am
Print Post  
gunlaker wrote on Apr 20th, 2016 at 7:49pm:
Glenn the action is a C. Sharps that has been milled to be  a "thin side" with a rounded receiver ring.  We started before there was any talk of the MVA actions otherwise we'd have used one of their DST actions.
Chris.

Chris - you can always purchase the DST group, lower tang & Helm lever from MVA and have them installed. Know at least one person who is doing so.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 10:44am
Print Post  
Glenn I'm going to keep this rifle as it is, but might try that trick with a couple of my other CSA rifles.   

The only thing that would worry me is that the lower tangs on my older ( 2010 ) rifles are wider than my newer ( 2014 I think ) rifles.  Somewhere along the line CSA changed the dimensions.  I wonder which dimensions are the same as the originals.

Chris.

IP Logged

bruce moulds
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Apr 25th, 2016 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
chris,
the important part.
so how does it shoot?
keep safe,
bruce.

ventum est amicus meus

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Apr 25th, 2016 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
I'm not sure yet Bruce. I haven't had it out yet.  I probably won't for a while yet as I'm working on trying to squeeze a little lower velocity SD out of my midrange rifle, and I have to get my wiping routine sorted out for the long range rifle.

I had been playing mostly with the Borchardt, trying to get a "backup" long range rifle that shoots greasers.  The Borchardt and I aren't getting along yet Smiley.  That's ok though. It's going to the deep recesses of the gun safe until the fall.  More time to spend on the PP rifle.

Chris.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint