Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Eley Is Talkin' Schuetzen! (Read 6627 times)
watchthewind
Oldtimer

Eley Is Talkin' Schuetzen!
Apr 19th, 2016 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

ASSRA Member # 11408

IP Logged

shovel80
Oldtimer

Re: Eley Is Talkin' Schuetzen!
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
Thanks for sharing

Terry

ASSRA Member # 11021
IP Logged

RayH
Oldtimer

ASSRA # 10880

Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 6:51am
Print Post  
Interesting. Note, however, that they were discussing only a 100 yard event. Now, when Eley diligently R & Ds a product designed for 200 yard RF, we'll have something to celebrate.

In GOD We Trust

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 7:17am
Print Post  
Interesting that 1st & 3rd were well-known BPCR/BPTR competitors that always seem to 'trickle to the top' in those events, as well. 

As a point of reference, Eley Tenex and their black-box Match ammo are two of the top choices for .22BPCR shooting with the turkeys at 150m and rams at 200m. The good shooters routinely clean the rail at both distances with this Eley ammo. One could say that Eley (along with SK, Lapua and a couple of others) all ready have accurate 200yd ammo available. 

I find the new Norma Match ammo shoots well at those distances in the Shilen rachet-rifled barrel on my DZ Hepburn with a match chamber.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
SSShooter wrote on Apr 20th, 2016 at 7:17am:

As a point of reference, Eley Tenex and their black-box Match ammo are two of the top choices for .22BPCR shooting with the turkeys at 150m and rams at 200m. The good shooters routinely clean the rail at both distances with this Eley ammo. One could say that Eley (along with SK, Lapua and a couple of others) all ready have accurate 200yd ammo available. 

I find the new Norma Match ammo shoots well at those distances in the Shilen rachet-rifled barrel on my DZ Hepburn with a match chamber.

200 yd 22 is quite popular at TRR.  It normally takes a score in the 240s to win it. Earlier this month, he first 3 were in the 240s.  Where would R&D focus?  Faster twist, longer, heavier bullets in a  short case ?  Roll Eyes

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #5 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Scott, it's always great to see new blood in our sport, and I applaud you for getting the word out to another bunch of shooters who may not be aware of us but may possibly be interested.  Good job and a great article!  Thank you!

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

watchthewind
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
Thanks Joe Smiley I am just really lucky to have the mentors I've got!
These guys can shoot and are just great people to be associated with.
I tell Byron the reason behind my efforts is not wanting to be the only guy on the firing line in 30 years!
Take care
Scott

ASSRA Member # 11408

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Great article as Joe Feldman noted and thanks for getting the word out and promoting our sport. Sadly it is not promoted in modern day shooting publications, sports TV or the shooting related manufacturing industries. There is currently probably a multitude of shooting enthusiasts who do not know it even the sport  exists and are missing out on one of the most enjoyable and user friendly matches to shoot thanks to those who currently shoot it.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
When I lived in Australia & shot small bore prone with a club owned Anschutz 54 was going to test some ammo to see what it "liked".  Club member said it's probably going to "like" Tenex for Regional  matches Black Box for Club matches.

Why ? Tenex and Black Box was all you could buy from the Club.  They don't test anything, just use Eley.
We had some top shooters in that club too

Not a bad plan, pay attention to shooting not ammo

Boats

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
watchthewind wrote on Apr 20th, 2016 at 3:27pm:
Thanks Joe Smiley I am just really lucky to have the mentors I've got!
These guys can shoot and are just great people to be associated with.
I tell Byron the reason behind my efforts is not wanting to be the only guy on the firing line in 30 years!
Take care
Scott

It works pretty well.  That is why I have been doing matches, both SS and ML, for the last 30 years.  There are a few left, not alone yet  Grin  Keep up the good work.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
I believe strongly in improvement spirals. Number of people doing the same thing get better and better as they trade information.

Our Club offhand matches have made real shooters out of beginners just by watching and feedback. Nothing intense just simple watch, with a few quiet suggestions after matches. Never wanted to shoot much prone but the 3 years I shot with that Australian Club learned a whole lot that spills over to my other match shooting.

Boats

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
Boats is right.  Pay attention to shooting, not ammo.  Up to a point.  American Eagle really won't cut it at 100, but until you can call your shots, ordinary SV stuff will suffice.

2 years ago, we tried Edge and decided it was overpriced.  Yesterday, at our first 100 yard match of the year, two 25-shot targets, I set a Schuetzen Verein record, a single target 608-12c and a two target total of 1203-18c.  I used the leftover Edge.  Not much wind, plenty of mirage early on.  Clouded up later.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Congrats on your excellent scores!!
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Apr 21st, 2016 at 7:32am
Print Post  
There is a real difference between 100yd & 200yd with SV .22LR ammo. The primary difference that those of us who shoot both distances have discovered is that a 'flyer' (that being defined as anything more than 1/2moa out of the group) at 100yd is still a decent shot while a flyer at 200yd is magnified and kills your score. The less expensive ammo tends to have flyers while the good stuff does not.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #14 - Apr 21st, 2016 at 9:53am
Print Post  
200 yard .22 match very popular at Tr&R? Far as I know, only twenty shots a year are fired. Bench rest only. Two targets.  Huh

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint