Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Math Question (Read 15234 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Math Question
Reply #45 - Apr 17th, 2016 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
Chris I wish everyone interested would put in their two cents I find all the input to be real interesting and there should be something to learn from it all.
In reality to have the bullet leave the barrel at the exact moment the 1 thousands of error occurs would probably actually take place when the trigger breaks prior to the bullet moving down the bore. When asked that specific question we had to start some where. If the bullet has yet to move while the error is taking place how would it then affect the angle of flight to the target? I am not real sure on how to phrase it other than the original holding point inadvertently moved by 1 thousandths of an inch and held there prior to the bullet leaving the muzzle.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #46 - Apr 17th, 2016 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
Real positive input on the subject Calledflyer and thanks for taking the time to share it for the benefit of the group interested in the subject.

Thanks Again!
JLouis
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2016 at 8:13pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #47 - Apr 17th, 2016 at 8:22pm
Print Post  

OK John, 
  Since you seem to think this  is a "a serious shooting related question"; and everyone has done the math for you.
  What is the practical application of the data? Grin

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

JackHughs
Oldtimer

Reply #48 - Apr 17th, 2016 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Apr 17th, 2016 at 6:09pm:

I am hoping Jack Hughes will chime in and share his answer and how he obtained it. I have been told it is actually quite a bit more and along the lines of what Schuetzen Bob posted but I didn't then and I still don't now understand what means and methods were being used to come up with it?
JLouis

I treated it as a math problem and did not read anything into the problem that wasn't explicitly stated.

The solution was to use similar triangles, hold the "x2" distance constant at 7200 inches and the "y1" distance constant at .001".  As the bullet approaches the muzzle, the "x1" distance approaches zero and the "y2" distance therefore approaches infinity.

In the real world, barrels vibrate and the "launch angle" of any given bullet depends on the excursion of the muzzle when the bullet exits.  This doesn't mean the "movement" of the muzzle at the exact time the bullet exits but rather the "angular displacement" of the muzzle at the exact time the bullet exits.

JackHughs    

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.  W.B. Yeats

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #49 - Apr 17th, 2016 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
I shared that information in an earlier post Jeff. Not trying to be Rude but if you can't find any merit in it why are you being so adamant about it being meaningless and removed while others are finding some interest in it? 

If I inadvertently broke any of the general discussion rules I apologize that was not my original intent. 

JLouis

IP Logged

shovel80
Oldtimer

Reply #50 - Apr 17th, 2016 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
My answer was from my belief that Roughly .010 change in sight adjustment moves the bullet  about 1 minute of angle...
So, at 2 hundred yards I figured two tenths of a minute for .001...Or two tenths of two inches which would be .200...

Terry

ASSRA Member # 11021
IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #51 - Apr 17th, 2016 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
shovel80 wrote on Apr 17th, 2016 at 9:34pm:
My answer was from my belief that Roughly .010 change in sight adjustment moves the bullet  about 1 minute of angle...
So, at 2 hundred yards I figured two tenths of a minute for .001...Or two tenths of two inches which would be .200...

Terry

At least the two of us agree, right or wrong.  What an interesting discussion from such a simple and straight forward question! At least it seems to me to be a simple and straight forward question.

JS

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #52 - Apr 17th, 2016 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
JS47 wrote on Apr 17th, 2016 at 10:14pm:
shovel80 wrote on Apr 17th, 2016 at 9:34pm:

Terry

At least the two of us agree, right or wrong.  What an interesting discussion from such a simple and straight forward question! At least it seems to me to be a simple and straight forward question.

JS

That's what I thought way back when I said about .2" assuming a 30-32" barrel  Cheesy  Nothing is simple in Single Shot  Undecided

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint