Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) past records (Read 25771 times)
Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: past records
Reply #90 - May 4th, 2016 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Swiss is probably the best BP there is.  Bill Knight did extensive analysis of original and modern BP.  The best ingredients are long gone, but I believe there may be some Blackthorn Alder growing somewhere again. 

I think Bill said Goex was a byproduct of military contracts to supply the battleships for many years.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #91 - May 4th, 2016 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
All of my CPA black powder rifles, have on occasions, shot five shot groups under 1" at 100 meters. The rifles were the standard silhouette model, the calibers were 40-60, 45-70, 45-90, 38-56 and 40-60 Maynard. All groups were shot using a front rest, no sled, and a rear sandbag, also they were shot using a Lyman STS in 25 X.
Going back over all these targets the common denominator was the weather, all were shot on good days.
The very best group was .560" for five shots.
As for the best powder I can detect no difference on the target between Swiss #3 ( 2F ) and Wano PP. There is a difference however in the strength, 70 gr of Swiss gave an average MV of 1280.7 fps, 77 gr of PP in the 45-90, gave an average of 1169.4 on the same day. Bullet was 520 gr PJ Creedmore with a Federal L/M Pistol primer, no neck tension.
Perhaps there is something in the Swiss powder other than the original three original ingredients perhaps. ? just speculating.
Mike.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #92 - May 5th, 2016 at 1:18am
Print Post  
I believe the challenge back about 2000 was 10 shots under MOA @ 200 yards  because that is what all the matches were. 

I shot lots of them with 45-100, Goex Ctg, iron sights that were just over, 2 3/8 to 2 1/2  @ 200 Cry

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #93 - May 5th, 2016 at 10:53am
Print Post  
I would suggest shooting your BP 250s at Etna Green or an affiliated club. Surely ASSRA would add a note indicating BP was used. ASSRA allows any safe load and they keep records. 

Joe. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 
Send TopicPrint