Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) past records (Read 24661 times)
westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: past records
Reply #75 - May 4th, 2016 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
Is there a BP BR match somewhere you fellers plan to shoot these BP 250s?  Will you have to persuade an organization to recognize your efforts? 
How will they be documented? 

Are the BP Schuetzen matches still happening at Raton? That's where Jack Odor shot his 247-7. Not listed anywhere as a record however.

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #76 - May 4th, 2016 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on May 4th, 2016 at 12:49pm:
Is there a BP BR match somewhere you fellers plan to shoot these BP 250s?  Will you have to persuade an organization to recognize your efforts? 
How will they be documented? 

Are the BP Schuetzen matches still happening at Raton? That's where Jack Odor shot his 247-7. Not listed anywhere as a record however.

Joe.

Was Jacks shot in ISSA Traditional class or were there other BP Schuetzen matches?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #77 - May 4th, 2016 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
gunlaker wrote on May 4th, 2016 at 9:03am:
Cody I imagine that a lack of serious numbers of people trying is part of it.  Another part might be that a lot of the smokeless shooters have benchrest while most shooting blackpowder are shooting with traditional stocks.

I keep meaning to put some serious effort into it.  I have a couple of rifles that should be as accurate as any, but I keep getting "distracted" by BPTR. 

Chris.

There was some serious effort shooing 1 MOA or under on a BP forum back about the turn of the century.  Nobody did it as far as I know.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #78 - May 4th, 2016 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Not sure, Bob. Think it was WSU BP Schuetzen matches at Raton. Quart of blood?  Something like that. Information is in the 2006 BPCN issue #55 page 62.

Joe. 

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #79 - May 4th, 2016 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Read it again, yes, was called the "Quart of Blood" match.

I think to have a BP 250 recognized, a category for it must be established with some organization. 

Joe.

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #80 - May 4th, 2016 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Joe
Quart of Blood was (still is?) a 200 yard, black powder, iron sight, 20-shot bench rest match. A 250 in that match would be meaningless as winner is determined by string measure. As I recall, entry fee was $50 and winner took all. I shot that match at Raton in '07 which was, I think, the last year the WSU held it there.
I get where you are coming from though, it takes a formal match program by a recognized organization that keeps records for a black powder 250 to have standing.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #81 - May 4th, 2016 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
On page 63 under match scores. "Iron Sight Benchrest (10 shots, 200 yards)"

Jack Odor 247-7C

Steve Garbe 243-4C

Larry Kearns 238-2C

Shows it as a separate 10 shot match.

Scores indicate the Quart of Blood match was string measure.

Joe.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #82 - May 4th, 2016 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
It's too bad that match no longer exists.  Reading Steve Garbe's old match reports was what got me fired up about shooting .38's and .32's with black powder.

My new Durren/Winchester single shot is just the thing for that sort of fun.   

To do it right though, I think that it needs to be done with a strictly traditional rifle, including optics.

Chris.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #83 - May 4th, 2016 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Optics?

Joe.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #84 - May 4th, 2016 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
But only original scopes that were made before 1900, let's say. No replicas.   Cool

<div class=

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #85 - May 4th, 2016 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
gunlaker wrote on May 4th, 2016 at 4:17pm:
It's too bad that match no longer exists.  Reading Steve Garbe's old match reports was what got me fired up about shooting .38's and .32's with black powder.

To do it right though, I think that it needs to be done with a strictly traditional rifle, including optics.

Chris.

Would that be stock, caliber, twist and bullet style too?

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #86 - May 4th, 2016 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on May 4th, 2016 at 5:40pm:
gunlaker wrote on May 4th, 2016 at 4:17pm:

Chris.

You make a really good point Bob.  To me stocks and cartridges would have to be original.  Other than originals, my rifles all have quicker twists and shoot longer bullets so I'm guilty there Smiley. But the style of the bullets is often not very different than what I shoot I think.

Joe, maybe it should be just iron sights.  But I need a front aperture, not a pinhead.  I can't really see those very well. 

Chris.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #87 - May 4th, 2016 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
It is getting tough to really do what "they" did  Shocked

When I was shooting LR at Raton, I had a strap on top the barrel for mirage.  They said that might not be traditional.  Traditional? You say traditional?  Huh  They were shooting prone with a rest, 12 and 13# rifles, set triggers, Soule sights were becoming popular....... The only thing traditional was the smoke  Grin

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #88 - May 4th, 2016 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on May 4th, 2016 at 5:57pm:
It is getting tough to really do what "they" did  Shocked

When I was shooting LR at Raton, I had a strap on top the barrel for mirage.  They said that might not be traditional.  Traditional? You say traditional?  Huh  They were shooting prone with a rest, 12 and 13# rifles, set triggers, Soule sights were becoming popular....... The only thing traditional was the smoke  Grin

Nailed that one, Bob! Lol. 

Joe. 

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #89 - May 4th, 2016 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Quote:

Good point, Bob.

Recreating the "Golden Age"  (not Golden, CO) accuracy results, can be a very large can of worms.

To my knowlege, there are no certified "real" BP. I think even the GOEX (Dupont formula) was the Blasting Powder formula. All the fancy new BP's, I don't believe you could by back then and how accurately they might be formulated to the available BP's at that time.......... who knows.

Before this lastest BP cartridge kick, duplex loads were readily excepted at matches, at least on the West coast. Duplex was a well established loading method during the "Golden Years". 

To make it even, the loads should fit the criteria of the BP only rifles and loads. No spitzers, not even what I would call simi-spitzers. In other words, short ogive and large meplats, such as the Hudson and Pope molds that I've seen. 

Spitzers didn't come until duplexing was well establish and the only one that I know of is the 319323 (French).

Records that are trying to beat or duplicated should also be done with the same twist as was used to set a record.

There is a LOT to be considered here or just leave the BP to what was available before 1917 and that includes duplex loading.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 
Send TopicPrint