Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) past records (Read 24635 times)
CodyS

Re: past records
Reply #45 - May 1st, 2016 at 10:15am
Print Post  
I agree, but I think if you look at the facts, Hudson's achievement has not truly been beaten.  I have copies of the targets from both Hudson and Pope, as well as the score sheet from that fabled day in 1903.  It is pretty fun to look at and wonder what it would have been like to have been there.  The fact to remember is that they were not there for a social gathering, they were there to win!  Had it not had the competitive spirit, it would have been long forgotten.  Winning that match both offered substantial money, and fame that is still continuing today.  What a prize!

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #46 - May 1st, 2016 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Interesting that that all the reasons given for more 250s being shot are because of improved equipment etc, not a mention of smokeless powder ?.
Who's shooting 250 with black powder I wonder.
Mike.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #47 - May 1st, 2016 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
Smokeless is an improvement, but 250s went wild with little cases, faster twists, bigger bullets and BR stocks. There were very few back in the 80s when I started  even though white powder had been quite common for 75 years.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #48 - May 1st, 2016 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
Hudson's target of 2301 was shot with iron sights, no one has come close to that record.  Ledball

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #49 - May 1st, 2016 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
ledball wrote on May 1st, 2016 at 8:41pm:
Hudson's target of 2301 was shot with iron sights, no one has come close to that record.  Ledball

Yeah, but back when I could see irons, I felt a scope was a disadvantage in the 100 shot  Roll Eyes

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #50 - May 1st, 2016 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
Back to my question, who is shooting 250 with black powder, anyone ?.
Mike.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #51 - May 1st, 2016 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
No. No one is shooting 250s with BP.

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #52 - May 2nd, 2016 at 2:23am
Print Post  
Even Harry Pope only guaranteed about a 2 1/2" 10 shot group at 200 yards, not good enough Cry  That is about what I got from my Stevens Pope 33  Sad

IP Logged

CodyS

Reply #53 - May 2nd, 2016 at 9:41am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on May 1st, 2016 at 11:59pm:
No. No one is shooting 250s with BP.

Joe.

I am pretty sure both Jack Odor and Steve Garbe have done it, as well as perhaps Larry Kearns.  Jack Odor has told me that there is really not much difference between the black and smokeless loads.  Jack blow tubes and runs one dry patch through.  It is just a little more work to clean the gun and brass when you are done.  Garbe seems to think he can make it work better than smokeless.  In the messing I have done with it, it really didn't seem any different than the smokeless loads other than the smoke and more cleanup effort.  I have not shot a 250 with black, but have several 246's and 247's on the wall.  Of course, I have only shot one or two 250's with smokeless in my life as well.  I do not have a bench gun, I am just using my offhand rifle.  I have a hard time getting excited about bench shooting, as I really enjoy the offhand part.  The opinion seems to be the 38-55 worked better with black, although the 32-40 can be used to good effect as well.  I am an avid black powder fan, but didn't see the use of messing with it in my schuetzen rifle.  The Butte club only allows black, but they don't do any bench shooting, so there is no reference there.  Next time I talk to Ted Tompkins, I will ask him about his bench groups.
take care, Cody

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #54 - May 2nd, 2016 at 10:25am
Print Post  
While Hudson did shoot it with irons The match did allow scopes. Irons were not a requirement. If Dr. Hudson wanted to handicap himself that's his business.

40 Rod

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #55 - May 2nd, 2016 at 11:25am
Print Post  
Cody, I am not aware of any 250s shot by Jack or Steve. If they had, I'm sure we would have read about it somewhere. 

The Butte Gun Club allows smokeless in monthly matches. BP is required in the Jim Gier Memorial and John Taylor Memorial matches. 

Joe. 

IP Logged

CodyS

Reply #56 - May 2nd, 2016 at 11:51am
Print Post  
I did not realize Butte allowed smokeless on the monthly matches, thank you for correcting me.  I would sure like to make it there someday.  I will also talk to Jack and what he has done with black and report back.  I think most folks know, but I wanted to make sure other readers realize that the Hudson record was done with smokeless.  I think sometimes modern shooters just assume it was all black before about WWI.  Interesting discussion, thank you!

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #57 - May 2nd, 2016 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Dr Hudson's worst shots were 20s  Cheesy  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Anyone know what rifle he used? Goggle doesn't seem of know Embarrassed

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #58 - May 2nd, 2016 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
They dropped BP like a hot potato when smokeless came out.  Smokeless being far superior in many ways. 

Hudson used a Walker Hepburn 38-55. Hard bullets and smokeless powder. Started out muzzle loading soft bullets and duplex powder charges.

Wrong. Hudson set the OH record of 2301 in 1903. He switched to the walker in 1904. Not sure what rifle he used to set the record. Jim Feren told me he beat Hudsons record seven times. Hope I remember that correct.  Embarrassed

Joe.
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2016 at 4:51pm by westerner »  

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #59 - May 2nd, 2016 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
  You mean "correctly".

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Send TopicPrint