Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Farquharson action kit (Read 4461 times)
gwahir
Senior Forum Member

Ve gets too soon olt und
too late shmart.

Farquharson action kit
Apr 15th, 2016 at 8:20am
Print Post  
I have built four Farquharson actions using the Story kits, one of which is a complete rifle. Have any of you gentlemen worked with these? I might be able to help.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Farquharson action kit
Reply #1 - Apr 17th, 2016 at 2:43am
Print Post  
Not his Farquharson kits, but of Rodney's castings I have two DS Cole actions I've finished, one in .22 RF, one in 40-65, a roller in a 38-55 that just needs the wood finished and a Hepburn that should be completed this summer in a 40-82.   

I'm building a couple of  Farqy's from a plate of 2" 8620, one in a .577 - 3" and one in a 450-400.  I'm getting the details for my Farqy's from Wal Winfers' books, and a few sketches I made off of originals I fondled at the Vegas show a year ago January, trying to duplicate the early Gibb's models with all the warts, do you have drawings of these originals? preferably the Gibbs design with the lever having the lump for the extractor that eliminates the two piece extractor? and side lever, hammer blocking safeties?
I have both of these actions cut out, milled, threaded, broached and hole locations laid out fairly close, both trigger guards cut out and milled close, working on levers, breech blocks, hammers, and triggers.  The barrels blanks are acquired, wood is in stock, chambering reamers made, and some dummy rounds for fitting made, waiting on free time...  Most of my gun projects are usually winter projects and darn it!  I'm running out of winter...  I'll try and post a few pictures of the builds from the beginning so bear with me.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) 100_1539.JPG (Attachment deleted | 0 Downloads )
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) 100_1550.JPG (Attachment deleted | 0 Downloads )
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) 100_1626.JPG (Attachment deleted | 0 Downloads )
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) 100_1643.JPG (Attachment deleted | 0 Downloads )

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 17th, 2016 at 10:12am
Print Post  
GT, 
Welcome to the Forum 
The action is looking good.
You have already left a bunch of chips on the floor and more to go.
Don't know of any Farquharson drawings.
Do know people who consider the two piece extractor the finest ever made. Will extract or eject as required without springs.
Chuck

IP Logged

SBertram

Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2016 at 10:24am
Print Post  
My guess is I have had more Farquharsons through my shop than most folks see in several lifetimes. Currently have four in house, a Webely and a Holland Woodward as well. I have never had a Fark in with out the 2 piece extractor. I can most likely help you out with dimensions if you need it. Here is mine, the only Holland single chambered for .30 Super.....We have bonded very well and it is my go to deer rifle. Deer pictured taken at over 200 yards with open sights. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

gwahir
Senior Forum Member

Ve gets too soon olt und
too late shmart.

Reply #4 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 12:30am
Print Post  
De Haas book has been my source. Of course working with an investment cast kit, the math is pretty well done. One of my actions is a Gibbs, but it does have the two piece extractor. The other three are Jefferey. The one I have built up into a working rifle is a rimmed 300 WSM. 348 brass. I doubt I will have time to build up the other three into complete rifles. A lot of work!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint