Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Cimarron 1885 Quality (Read 10572 times)
argie1891
Senior Forum Member

Re: Cimarron 1885 Quality
Reply #15 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 10:55am
Print Post  
the information on twist for these rifles is contained in this (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

if you think you have it figured out  then you just dont understand

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
With regard to the Accurate Molds, they have a 38-250J, 38-300J and 38-315J which they made for me based on the old Saeco  tapered Schuetzen molds. I had good luck with the Saeco but did not always get the diameter I needed, so I ordered the Accurate molds to drop at .382  with 30/1 alloy and they are right on the money. I ordered them with no taper so I can use a lubrisizer. 100% satisfied with Accurate Molds. Joe S

IP Logged

bohemianway
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
Now that I have had it to the range the darn thing does not work reliably with the DST. Using Federal Benchrest primers it will only set off 50% on the first go. It is 100% if the hammer is released by pushing forward on the rear trigger. When I had the action apart earlier I was concerned on the safety fly and how it did not really shield the safety notch. Now I need to disassemble again and figure out how to fix this and add an extension to the front trigger so it can release the hammer without setting.

Charles

GTalk  
IP Logged

argie1891
Senior Forum Member

Reply #18 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
I am sure you adjusted the trigger?? I would think the drop of the hammer would be the same distance for both set and not set. if I had this problem first thing I would do is check on the firing pin length it should come out around 65 thou different rifles have different spec.. another thing that can cause this is head space. you might set the bullet out until the action just closed if that helps it is probably head space. I would not make any changes until I had checked everything out. one more thing is spring strength. weak spring. so many possible solutions to one problem. good luck and please keep us posted as to what you find out.  joe  aka argie1891

IP Logged

bohemianway
Oldtimer

Reply #19 - Apr 21st, 2016 at 8:44am
Print Post  
On diss-assembly of the action I can see where the seer is getting battered by the safety hooks (or whatever you call the reverse facing fingers that hold the seer in the safety notch). I think it is the fly which does not extend far enough outward and rotates enough downward to shield the seer from the safety hooks. If I recall other fly configurations they are set up so that if you release the hammer from the normal seer notch and with the trigger released the seer will not be allowed to catch on the safety notch. You have to go past the notch then recock t to the safety notch to get the fly out of the way. That is not how the Uberti is set up.  Wish I had an original highwall DST to compare to. I will post pictures.

Charles

GTalk  
IP Logged

Hayface

Reply #20 - Apr 21st, 2016 at 11:10am
Print Post  
Bohemianway,

I just had to address a similar issue on a DST rimfire low wall and found these things to be deficient.  The fly tip was not rotating close enough to the half cock hooks.  The sear was also bumping into the top edge of the fly, as in hitting a shelf rather than just riding up a ramp during hammer fall.  The sear spring in these rifles is about twice as thick and much stiffer than those in original 1885's.  The fly pin was loose and walking out of the hammer.   There was excessive (about .012” total) clearance between the fly pin and the hole in the fly.  I can't say for sure how much of this was a factory problem.  Howie Hamfist had his hands on this rifle and used either a vise grips or pliers on it to turn screws inside the action before I got it.

Correcting those five things, one at a time took care of any problems.  By the way, the fly does not need to fully shield the half cock hooks for the DST to function correctly.  In fact, there needs to be enough of a gap for the sear to pick up the fly and shift it out of the way during cocking.  Inertia gained by the fly shoving the sear hooks out of the way during hammer fall will provide some more clearance than you will note by hand cycling.  Only a few thousandths needed to be removed from the stop lip of the fly to increase rotation.  It took very little stoning to remove that "shelf" and turn it into a ramp. 

Hope that helps,

Hayface

IP Logged

bohemianway
Oldtimer

Reply #21 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 8:32am
Print Post  
I ground off a smidge on the fly  stop edge which positioned it closer to the safety notchs and it sets off the primers. It still seems to have a slight hitch in it's giddyup so I may have to eventually make a new fly and it could use a new seer spring because Hayface is correct the factory one is really stiff.

Charles

GTalk  
IP Logged

Mizura
Participating Member

Reply #22 - Apr 26th, 2016 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
Wincacher wrote on Apr 15th, 2016 at 4:05pm:
I have a Uberti 45/70, 32" barrel.  The action is very smooth and it shoots nicely but I hate the look of the finish.  The metal is blued to look like black chrome and the wood looks more like fine furniture, unlike the original Winchesters, and gives off a strong reflection in sunlight.

Also, I replaced the factory sights, as the originals were junk, and installed a set of Browning Vernier tang and globe front sights.

I had one of these. Used finish remover on the wood, finding a nicely grained stock. Rubbed in a very soft stock finish and had many comments about it. Barrel-bore quality was something less than desirable, rebarreling it with a 30" Badger in 45-90 and ended up with a great rifle.

two wrongs don't make a right, but 3 lefts do

IP Logged

Wincacher
Participating Member

Reply #23 - Apr 26th, 2016 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
My standard grain 45-70 - way too glossy!

« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2016 at 7:37pm by Wincacher »  

Wayne
IP Logged

Hayface

Reply #24 - Apr 29th, 2016 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Had the same problem.  Used 0000 steel wool to knock the shine off it.  Then, burnished with a piece of coarse cloth and a few drops of BLO.  Ended up with a "very" fine scratch pattern, but still a much more pleasing finish that doesn't shine like plastic anymore.  Thought about using rubbing compound, but feared loading up the checkering, which unlike yours appears to be laser cut.  Considering stripping and refinishing with oil and repointing when I get some spare time.  

Yeah, spare time!

Hayface 

IP Logged

argie1891
Senior Forum Member

Reply #25 - Apr 29th, 2016 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
[unlike yours appears to be laser cut.  Considering stripping and refinishing with oil and repointing when I get some spare time.  

Yeah, spare time!

Hayface  [/quote]

I had a friend who needed some spare time so at 70 years old he robbed a bank waited in his truck for the cops to get there. he got a little spare time out of that for sure. joe in selah

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint