Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) CPA Starter Rig? (Read 9440 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: CPA Starter Rig?
Reply #15 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
Good advice indeed but I would not go with the through bolt our group has had a lot of problems with them in relationship to the triggers working correctly. There is a fine line between them both and I have worked on worked one several times to get that fine line corrected. When all is good everything works as it should but the last thing a new shooter needs is to run into any frustrations should it not. When they cut the stock mortice to accomodate the through bolt system there are very minimal checks left to contact the back of the reciever. On several through bolt CPA's in our group if you lay a white piece of paper under the tangs you can actually clearly see through both sides of the tangs where they do not contact the side of the tangs at all. The only problem with the tang screw attachment is the tapered cabinet screws they use have a tendency to back out and your groups will go to hell in a hand basket in very short order. So they must be checked before a match or practice outing. The cure is to replace the screws with course threaded straight shanked blunt end screws and the problem is solved never to return. These type screws were very typical of those used to attach butt plates. I actually got mine off a Win. Model 69 butt plate and simply swaped them out with no further modifications required to either rifle. Steve Durren also showed how to make them out of Lag Screws in one of the past ASSRA Journals. If you keep an eye on the ones provided the need to change them is of no concern as I probably made it sound worse than it actually is. Just snug the originals up before starting to shoot and all is well.

I hope this information was helpful and it is based on my own personal experiences. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 12:05am
Print Post  
JLouis, If you can see through the stock, why not bed it with epoxy compound like Accuraglass?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 12:29am
Print Post  
Bob there is still the problem with the through bolt trigger relationship working correctly. That problem stems from the tightness of the through bolt being correct for the triggers to work correctly. It is my hopes Jack Hughes / Jan will chime in on the subject as he has a better ability to explain more clearly than I can as he one of those individuals that I speak of that has had alott of frustrating moments finding that fine line to get his triggers to work properly.

The one I have worked on seems to be good short term and typicaly in the middle of a match will tend to go sour again. The individual who owns it simply quit shooting the rifle as he has others that are more dependable.

JLouis

IP Logged

bucksnort

Reply #18 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 12:58am
Print Post  
Isn't the .32-40 a black powder cartridge?  I've done some reading about this cartridge and there is nothing but good to hear.  The rifle will be used for 100/200/300 shooting exclusively in a scoped benchrest rifle.  If I'm so inclined, I can always break out the Shiloh .45-2.4, for reaching out and touching things further out.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 1:35am
Print Post  
bucksnort wrote on Apr 15th, 2016 at 12:58am:
Isn't the .32-40 a black powder cartridge?  I've done some reading about this cartridge and there is nothing but good to hear.  The rifle will be used for 100/200/300 shooting exclusively in a scoped benchrest rifle.  If I'm so inclined, I can always break out the Shiloh .45-2.4, for reaching out and touching things further out.

Originally yes, but it will not be the best and easiest to shoot BP in for a beginner.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 10:36am
Print Post  
I have no personal experience with the 32-40 out to 300yds. or using BP. My competitive experience has only been at 100 / 200yds and it excels at those distances when breech seated. I have also never tried shooting it with fixed.

IP Logged

kcajeel

Reply #21 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 11:32am
Print Post  
What J. Louis and 40 Rod told you sounded to me like good advise.
I have a 32-40 CPA, matter of fact I have 2 CPA's, and love them. I have been influential in a few more being sold to my friends, and we're still friends.
But I think CPA will try to steer you to a 32-20. They'll probably say its hard to find 32-40 brass because Winchester just announced they have discontinued it. I can't find Starline's listing for it either even though someone said it was available. Don't worry about brass.
30-30, 32 Win Special and 38-55 brass can be formed to 32-40 with one full length sizing die and a butane torch.
Trust me if I can do it anyone can and I made 50 last week and showed my 82 year old buddy how. He made a couple hundred of them. Then he bought up all the 38-55 brass within 50 miles. That was on Friday. Then on Monday he ordered a new CPA. In 32-40 and they tried the "no brass" trick on him. He told them about forming and they got off the subject. Don't worry about brass. Buy your 32-40 CPA and have fun.

Jack

jack
YIM  
IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
I've put together two CPA's doing the stock work myself and on the second one no matter what I tried, the tang screws would push the action a bit forward leaving a gap at the rear of the tang and at the stock/receiver joint. Drilling a very precise pilot hole is important here but I couldn't seem to get it right.  I plugged the hole two different times and lapped the screw heads into the recess in the tangs.  Still no help.  In desperation I drilled the hole in the stock out to 5/16 (maybe 1/4, I don't remember) and filled it with Acraglass along with some 2/0 steel wool and plenty of glass floc.  I then put the receiver on the stock, held back with some surgical tubing wrapped around the stock and receiver, and threaded the screw into the hole.  So far the screw has remained tight.  It also made it easy to index the screw slot north/south which looks good on fancy rifles.  I fit the screw about 1/8th turn short from where I wanted it to index.  I've used the same method to index buttplate screws. Needless to say, release agent is important.  I used auto wax on the screws.

JS

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Is the auto wax a better release agent than Johnson's Paste wax?

IP Logged

Pentz
Senior Forum Member

Funf und Zwanzig mit den
Hut

Reply #24 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
I've used JPW on several bedding jobs and never had an issue.

ASSRA Member Yoostabe # 11497

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
I had it a little sticky one time.  I don't think I did a very good wax job  Cry  I got all the bedding cleaned off eventually.  Glad I didn't wait a day to break it free  Grin

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Apr 16th, 2016 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Apr 15th, 2016 at 11:37pm:
Is the auto wax a better release agent than Johnson's Paste wax?

Beats me!  I've not tried Johnsons.  I used Rainex since that's what I had.

JS

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint