Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) CPA Starter Rig? (Read 9432 times)
bucksnort

CPA Starter Rig?
Apr 13th, 2016 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
I just saw a 'live' CPA Benchrest (.32-20) last week.  It got me thinking about one for myself.  I've read through the posts on this forum, and my eyes began rolling back in my head.  I do have a couple of simple questions.  These will apply to the CPA rifle:   
-easiest to get reloading components for 
-dies & bullet mold
-caliber (.32-20, .32 Miller, etc)
-scopes most commonly used
Thanks.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: CPA Starter Rig?
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
For a starter rifle I would shy away from the 32-20 and 32 Miller short and give the 33-47 and 32-40 a serious thought. The small capacity cases are not as user friendly and can be quite finicky. 
The CPA is very user friendly and easy to work on without any assistance and is an excellent choice. 
I would also shy away from the through bolt and go with the tang screw butt stock attachment. We have two competitors in our group that have had problems with the through bolt causing trigger problems. 
Paul & Gail stand behind their product without hesitation if problems do arise.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
Scope is dependent on what class you wish to shoot as the rules for each class is quite different. For Traditional Class the Lyman SuperTarget Spots and Unert 11/2 scopes in 20X are probably the most common. Non Traditional class Weaver T36, Leupold Comp. 36 or 42X, NF 12-42 BR, March 60X etc. depending on available funds.
Bullet moulds for the 32's are the most common as long as the barrel does not have a .319 groove diameter so ask before building the rifle. A .320-.321 groove is what you should be looking for to fit most available moulds either new or used. 
Dies are really not needed if shooting one case breech seated in 33-47 or 32-40. 
If you plan to shoot any fixed ammunition then the 32-40 dies are probably the easiest to come by and very inexpensive from Lyman. 
I have never seen anyone try to shoot fixed in the 32 Miller and or CPA 32-20 so I am not sure about it even being a possibility?

JLouis

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
Bucksnort,

My experience with the CPA is that one barrel just ain't enough!  The same thing may very well happen to you.  This effects the scope and mounting system you choose since you will probably not want to buy a scope for each barrel.  I went with MVA scope and bases which has worked out well.  The scope is easy to swap from barrel to barrel and easy to dial in if I remember to write down the settings.

JS

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
If you are just starting off I would recommend the 38-55. You can purchase cast & lubed bullets from several vendors and brass is readily available and needs only a modicum of prepping. A very accurate cartridge and plenty of load data. You can use the 38-55 to shoot out to 600yd should the mood strike, and is an accurate and reasonable BP cartridge if you want to shoot in those competitions some day. 

And, as mentioned above, should you decide you want to try another cartridge (32-40, etc.) you can always have another barrel made. CPA is a great rifle for that. Start with something easy to load & shoot and then decide if you want something that takes additional effort (brass prep, etc.).

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Bucksnort,

When you get a setup, bring it up to Tacoma to shoot the fall and spring Single Shot matches.  PM Schuetzenmiester on the site and he can put you on the email list.  I would get a 32-40 and one (or more) of the tapered molds that CPA sells and breech seat.  These rifles just look better with a Lyman Super Targetspot or Unertl mounted on them.  They attract a bit of attention at the practice range.  Be ready to explain why you are not shooting fixed ammo.   

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
You might also want to check out the Cast Bullet Association web site. If you go to the Scores posted there will also be an equipment list posted, cartridge, load, bullet lube etc. and look what the winners are using. There have been three from my local club The Modesto Rifle Club that are National Champions in the Plainbase Class and all were using the 32-40 myself included in 2006. At last years National Championship in Raton NM one of our group who has since moved to NM took the Grand National Champion Ship honors with his 32-40 beating out the Heavy Class, Production Class & Rail Gun competitors with his 32-40 in the Plainbase Class.
Two out of the three from Modesto were using a CPA and the odd man out was using a Model J FBW,s. and has won it twice maybe three times I simply just can't remember?

I would also not use anything less than a 20 Power Scope in CBA, ISSA or ASSRA for 200yd. Benchrest shooting, in the Offhand events less power might be helpful but I have always used the same power used on the Bench.

JLouis

IP Logged

GeorgeC
Oldtimer

ASSRA 11411

Reply #7 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
You mentioned bench rest.  Is that the only type shooting that you plan to do?  If not, then I would not limit myself to the BR type stock and fore arm. CPA has an excellent web site showing the different offerings of stocks and fore end styles, popular calibers (.32-40 being one of the most popular). Paul or Gail are very helpful and will guide you in the right direction. I started doing business with Paul since the early 70s when he was mainly offering stocks and parts.

Never mind the mule. Just load the wagon.
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
BP Jack is correct, come on up  Grin

My first SS was a 38-55 for fixed ammo.  I didn't have a gun that was competitive for schuetzen or BP.  Things have changed a little in the last 30 years with faster twists and heavier bullets, but I'd still go with 32 if my primary focus was schuetzen or 40 or 45 for BP.  Those biger calibers are easier to get started with good accuracy.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
If it were me, I'd ask CPA what their most popular benchrest cartridges are and pick something based on what they think they can do up the best. I'd let them pick the best matching mold that they think will work with the throat that they put in probably an RKS barrel. For me, round only barrel with modern scope mounting and maybe consider D&T for a possible future traditional front mount. I'd expect frustration in the beginning, but figure it's practice for when the rig is dialed in and I grow into it. If I needed to sell it, it would probably be configured the way other folks might be interested. Have fun with it.

IP Logged

BudHyett
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
I have a couple of simple questions, these will apply to the CPA rifle:  
- easiest to get reloading components for;
.32-20 brass from Starline is currently in production; the ammo companies are not making the .32-40; and forming brass is a pain. The case is 90% - 95% of the case capacity of the .32 Miller Short 
- dies & bullet mold: The Hoch 207 grain base-pour mold from CPA is a good start.
- caliber (.32-20, .32 Miller, etc.): .32-20, spend your time practicing rather than forming brass. You can get .32-20 brass today and getting brass may be a problem for other calibers for several years.
- scopes most commonly used: The beauty of the CPA is you can use an external adjustment scope for Traditional Class and a internal adjustment scope for other ASSRA, CBA and ISSA matches. 

Three other thoughts: 
1, - You can easily add barrels, the .25-20 WCF and .218 Bee have the same extractor as the .32-20
2. - Gail at CPA is easy to work with and knows this shooting game. 
3. - If you want a bigger cartridge like the .32-40 later, this barrel can always be recut to the larger chamber..
« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2016 at 10:57pm by BudHyett »  

Country boy from Illinois living in the magical Pacific Northwest
IP Logged

Pentz
Senior Forum Member

Funf und Zwanzig mit den
Hut

Reply #11 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
We have a few 32-20 CPA shooters here in the Northwet - I'm in my second year of competing and manage to hold my own.  It is a fun and challenging  sport you will likely enjoy after getting through the initial process of procuring the rifle, scope, mold(s), and other gear we desire.  I shoot off the bench with a benchrest forearm and traditional semi-sporter stock.  Just could not bring myself to get that clubby bechrest stock.
Bud is right about the brass problem; I bought 500 Starline 32-20 cases in addition to the several boxes of Winchester 32-20 brass that have cropped up at local shows.  Set for life.  The case is finicky but I have outshot the 30BR guys in our local CBA matches.  Go with CPA, you won't be disappointed.  Lotsa good, helpful folks here on this site too!

ASSRA Member Yoostabe # 11497

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #12 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 9:11am
Print Post  
For somebody who is just starting I would go with a 32-40 on a Douglas 1:14” twist barrel. Stocks are depending on what you want to do; if it is an all around gun stock it as a #52 or #49 if all you want to do is bench rest get the bench stock but pay the extra money for a through rod. Ask Paul what mold you should get and buy what he recommends it will fit correctly. 
There is lots of load information for 32-40s and when you learn how to load, cast, hold, and read the wind you can shoot with anybody with that rig. After you learn your craft you can send it back to Paul and buy a second barrel made up the way you think it should be.

40 Rod

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #13 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
Good advice from 40-Rod!

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
I agree with 40 Rod too.  The point of what I [posted was to either get a BS target rifle or a fixed ammo BP rifle, not try to do a combo that is not really suited or competitive for either.   That will lead to nothing but frustration and regret. My regrettable rifle hasn't seen much use over the years  Cry

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint