Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic stevens question (Read 2122 times)
cheatin_charlie
Senior Forum Member

stevens question
Apr 13th, 2016 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
I saw this Stevens at an auction site and am trying to figure out what the 2 small screws are for on the left side of the action.  Also the wood looks awful
light colored to me, mostly the older guns are darker at least the ones I can
remember.  What do you think?  By the way there are a couple other single
shots for sale in the auction.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: stevens question
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
The wood is very nice and the color seems normal to me, although perhaps a nice refinish has brightened it some.

As for the two holes, it's most likely that someone once sacrilegiously mounted a receiver sight there.  Another, more acceptable possibility is a rear offset scope mount.  But then, unless it's been very carefully refinished, I'd expect evidence of either a dovetail slot or two more holes somewhere along the barrel for the front mount.  Too bad the photos aren't larger and more detailed; but you could ask the seller to check on that.

In any case, to me it's a WOW! gun in an interesting and uncommon caliber and If I had the money, I'd be bidding!

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Charlie, well at least those two holes were not done by Parkenfarker or his Cozen Bubba. I suspect that those holes were added to position a Rear Sight ahead of the Striker/Firing Pin. That was a result of a Rule created by the NRA after WW1 when the NRA was taken over pretty much by Military people. They wanted every one to have the same issue that Military Team had with the Rear Sight being out on the Barrel. A great many fine Schuetzen rifles ended up having a rear Dovetail slot cut out in the Barrel in front of the Receiver in order to meet this rule. It did not last very long as with time the NRA got back in order. I have seen some really nasty examples of this 
tragedy. HTH Regards, FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
I pretty much agree with what has been said. Holes were for a sight. Wood looks right to me although I don't own anything at that price level. Beautiful rifle that I would love to have. Curious as to what it brings. I have seen some reasonable prices on that site. They do charge a buyers premium though.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2016 at 7:35am
Print Post  
Sold for $4400.    I note that 3210 is the lowest s/n I have yet seen on a 44 style action.  Downloaded the pics for future screensavers.

<div class=

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint