Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic New guy old question (Read 2686 times)
Tiswell

New guy old question
Apr 9th, 2016 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
I have had the bug to build a 22 hornet single shot rifle for several years. I have machining experience. I also have the Dehaas book,  and to me the vault locks are rather homely. The Chicopee Falls center fire is more pleasing to the eye, but it is long and my peepers appreciate a scope and would like to look for a shorter action design. So here is the question, are their plans/drawings available to build a compact single shot action that would fit my criteria? Thanks for your consideration of this question.

Tiswell

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Re: New guy old question
Reply #1 - Apr 10th, 2016 at 12:25am
Print Post  
Home shop machinest published by Village Press has a complete magazine on building a single shot action. They also have a website devoted to a bunch of subjects such as gunsmithing,welding, machining and so on. Don't have a link but you can find it by using google. If I may make a suggestion look for a cadet martini which is already set up for center fire although you will have to alter the extractor from 310 cadet cartridge to 22 hornet. Good actions on which to build a nice single shot rifle. Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

sharps4590

Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 6:46am
Print Post  
Might take a look at the German Ideal action.  I believe it was DeHaas who opined it was one of the best.  I know I sure like mine!!  I'm sorry I have no idea about plans availability.

IP Logged

Tiswell

Reply #3 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Guys thanks for the reply! Of all of the actions that I have looked at the Stevens 441/2 looks like it would be one of most compatible with scope use. The action is relatively short and the the hammer is low. Are their any available dimensioned drawings available? 

Thanks, Tiswell

IP Logged

cuslog
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 11:17am
Print Post  
ASSRA archives have several available;

Other services:

ü       Detailed dimensional rifle drawings.  All of these were reverse engineered for casting kits the screw sizes are modern. The following are available. Winchester Single Shot, Ballard, Farrow, Sharps 1874,  Remington No. 1  rolling block (including SST, OST, and side lever conversion), Remington Hep­burn, and Ballard & Soule tang sights, 8-1/2x11” sets for $10 each pdd . We also now have prints for the Sharps Borchardt these are done for making the action from bar stock and beleive the screw sizes are correct for original rifles. 

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 11:59am
Print Post  
Tiswell wrote on Apr 11th, 2016 at 10:12am:
Guys thanks for the reply! Of all of the actions that I have looked at the Stevens 441/2 looks like it would be one of most compatible with scope use. The action is relatively short and the the hammer is low. Are their any available dimensioned drawings available? 

Thanks, Tiswell

If it's a short action that you are looking for, the Winchester 1885 "High Wall" is the shortest from the breech block, to the front of the receiver ring.

The hammer is problematic on the 44 1/2, unless you grind, bend or buy a low style CPA hammer but, it's there and for me always, "in the way".

The HW also cocks on closing, much better for a hunting application. While you don't need the extra strength for a Hornet, the HW is a little stronger with it's extra breech block support.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
The Falling Blocks Works Model K is a perfect match for the 22 Hornet dimensionally. It has a nice adjustable trigger design, plenty of access to the chamber and is extremely easy to work on. Due to its simplicity of design and minimal parts it might also be one of the easier ones to build.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint