Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Maynard sight? (Read 4631 times)
Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Maynard sight?
Apr 7th, 2016 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
Speaking of odd sights, this Maynard 1882 arrived today with what looks like a composite of an original Maynard base with a Lyman (?) stem.
I know Lyman made a #1 for the Maynard, but I don't think this is it.
The sight pieces fit and work so well it makes me wonder.
Any comments much appreciated.
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Maynard sight?
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2016 at 3:29am
Print Post  
Not sure about the base, but the upright is from an early version Lyman #1 tang sight, built before Lyman made some changes to the #1 tang sight which included changing to the more familiar coarser diamond knurled elevation sleeve (barrel). The early fine knurled version of the Lyman #1 normally used a "thick base". 

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2016 at 7:54am
Print Post  
Your sight is proper. It was made by Lyman especially to fit the Maynard base and work with the Maynard spring arrangement that is mounted from under the tang. It was sold that way with the rifle. They aren't real common but it is 100% correct.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2016 at 11:39am
Print Post  
That sight is neat, and the rifle it's on looks to be in real solid shape. Congrats.

IP Logged

Captain Bob

Reply #4 - Apr 8th, 2016 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Rebel - you are a lucky fella. Curious to know what cartridge your '82 takes. Also would love to see more pictures and hear other aspects of your new Maynard.

Bob

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Apr 8th, 2016 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Hi Captn,
The Maynard was part of a two rifle lot, here is the description from the auction:

1) FRANK WESSON 2 TRIGGER TIP UP SINGLE SHOT RIFLE. Cal. 32 RF. S# 569. Bbl. 24" octagon. Late style w/ bbl. catch on right side. Combination front sight, fixed rear sight and original sporting tang sight w/ 3? staff. Receiver, trigger guard & buttplate are nickel finish. Mounted w/ highly figured American walnut. CONDITION: bbl. retains about 90% original blue w/ the receiver, trigger guard & buttplate showing about 85% original nickel. Wood is sound w/ 90% original varnish. Mechanics are a little stiff and may need attention. Strong bore w/ moderate pitting.  

2) MAYNARD SPORTING RIFLE. Cal. 22 RF. S# 11385. Usual configuration w/ 26" octagon to round bbl. that has been sleeved from a larger cal. to its current small caliber. Ivory bead front sight. Slot blank in rear seat w/ an early Lyman combination tang sight which is a replacement. Original walnut stock has added checkering. CONDITION: bbl. retains about 75-80% thinning custom blue and the receiver traces of case color mostly turned silver. Wood is sound and retains about 80% original varnish. Bright, shiny bore. PROVENANCE: Collection of Matthew Bailey. 

I'm very happy with both rifles.
The Wesson is not 32 rimfire.
The gun is a 5th model, probably a late one, as it has a flat sided forearm.
There is only one, floating, centerfire, firing pin and I haven't done a chamber cast yet, but I think it's in 30-30 Wesson.
The condition is original and I think exceptional.
It's better than the one Julia is so proud of:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Here's another in similar condition:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
He wants an very unrealistic $3500.

The Maynard is described well, It's an 1882, 22 LR, by the twist.
The barrel is not set-up for a forearm, (no factory tapped hole)you get them as you can find them.
The barrel retaining pin is a replacement.
Mr. Bly tells me that the sight is original.

« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2016 at 2:22pm by Rebel »  

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Apr 8th, 2016 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
Rebel,

The Lyman sight code for the Maynard rifle is a Y.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Captain Bob

Reply #7 - Apr 9th, 2016 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
Rebel - Thanks for posting the picture and details of your “82 Maynard and Wesson 2 trigger. Both look splendid, I hope the bores are equally nice. As John Bly points out the early Lyman tang sight staff adapted to the original Maynard sight base is in my view the gem here. Although there are seemingly infinite variations of Maynard rifle configurations, the number of cataloged tools and appendages is rather finite and I like many Maynard collector/shooters strive to obtain an example of each. This sight staff is rare and not often seen. In twenty years I have managed to find only two of the later Lymans which come with their own 7/8” hole spacing base marked with a “Y” as mentioned above. Enjoy having this special example.

Bob

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Apr 9th, 2016 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
Thanks Captn.
Deadeye Bly noticed that the Maynard, advertised as 22 Rimfire,
didn't look quite right.
I pulled the bullet from a round of 22LR, chambered the brass and fired.
It hit dead center. The rim was not of enough diameter to extract.
Mr. Bly and I are now pretty sure the gun is chambered in 22 Maynard Extra Long Centerfire.
Not what I was expecting. Mr Bly tells me that the barrel was reworked with a carbine  stub, threaded to accept the new barrel.
This is evident from the large rear sight filler. This was common in small calibers.
I haven't decided what to do with the rifle.
It seems that 5.75 Velo Dog rounds might work. Rocky Mountain 
will make 22 Maynard XL brass, and dies are only $65.
I'm not sure I want to get a new setup and reload such a small caliber.
I may sell it, or try to trade barrels, or other options at this point.
Still a cool gun with a great bore, and I do like the oddball stuff.
Poulin's isn't getting much right these days. 
Aaron
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2016 at 10:16pm by Rebel »  

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Apr 10th, 2016 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
The Poulins, husband and wife, are Jim Julia's brother-in-law and sister and their auction house is "just down the road" from Jim's.  So, while their stock is very often not in Jim's class, I'm surprised that the family tie doesn't enable them to do better descriptions, especially for guns as obviously fine and as collectible as these.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Captain Bob

Reply #10 - Apr 10th, 2016 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Aaron - Decisions, decisions  —  were I faced with your dilemma this is what I would consider doing. After a confirming chamber cast, save the 22 Maynard Extra Long Centerfire and set about collecting the necessary tools and molds to get it going at some point in the future; trust me you will end up wanting to do it. Meanwhile talk to John about making a new second barrel for you in some larger caliber for which tools and molds are currently and easily available - 32-20, 32-40, 38-55, anything your heart desires, really. I have two barrels by John, a second model 50 cal perc carbine for skirmishing and a 25-20 SS ‘82, both have given me great pride of ownership and enjoyment.

Bob

IP Logged

ron
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Apr 10th, 2016 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
Aaron, to put icing on the cake NOE makes a mold and sells the cast bullets.

ron

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #12 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Captain Bob wrote on Apr 10th, 2016 at 5:47pm:
Aaron - Decisions, decisions  —  were I faced with your dilemma this is what I would consider doing. After a confirming chamber cast, save the 22 Maynard Extra Long Centerfire and set about collecting the necessary tools and molds to get it going at some point in the future; trust me you will end up wanting to do it. Meanwhile talk to John about making a new second barrel for you in some larger caliber for which tools and molds are currently and easily available - 32-20, 32-40, 38-55, anything your heart desires, really. I have two barrels by John, a second model 50 cal perc carbine for skirmishing and a 25-20 SS ‘82, both have given me great pride of ownership and enjoyment.

Bob

... and don't forget, John also makes a 22 RF barrel with properly offset chamber to operate with the standard CF breech piece.  Mine works like a champ.  Wink

Froggie

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
Thanks everyone.
I'm going to keep it and enjoy it.
I just hope my old fingers can load a 22
Aaron

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint