Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Paper patching, why? (Read 32832 times)
Yellowhouse

Re: Paper patching, why?
Reply #30 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
jy3855 wrote on Apr 12th, 2016 at 11:16am:
Yellowhouse wrote on Apr 12th, 2016 at 9:06am:

If you'll get some correct length (2.125) Starline brass it has thinner necks and you should be able to chamber an oversize greaser.  That combo is what I use in my Marlin.  The Win brass is way too thick at the neck.

Yellowhouse,

Yes, that is what I've done.  Starline's long brass (trimmed to 2.120") works with a .382" bullet in my rifle.  

I've got four 38-55s.  The High Wall .375" short chamber gets W-W brass,  .379" Marlin 1893 and Winchester 94 get Starline short brass (2.080"), and the Marlin Cowboy as above.

You're as short on 38-55's as I am.  I got the Marlin Cowboy, a relined Roller sporter; and a Uberti Hiwall.  Just got rid of a Winchester 1885 that I couldn't get to shoot and have had a half dozen other Marlin 1893 and Win 1894's.    The Marlin and Uberbi both take the .382 and the Roller is .378.  The latter may get reborn into a 40-50 SBN before its over.

IP Logged

4570mike
Senior Forum Member

Reply #31 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Apr 7th, 2016 at 12:03pm:
I think some people like to stick with the old ways. If paper patching worked better, people would never have accepted lubed bullets when they were invented.

.....like shooting with BP in the first place  Wink

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #32 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
I think the lubed lead bullet was first. Then the paper patched bullet and then the long lubed bullet then the jacketed bullet. 

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
Are we talking strictly rifled barrels, or lumping smoothbores in too?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
Looking in the 1910 edition of the Remington UMC catalog,
you'll see a number of rifle cartridges that were available only as blackpowder rounds topped off with paper patch bullets... no greaser bullet version shown, take it or leave it.

And don't forget those thin animal hide patched balls used by early longrifle hunters... paper and cloth was often an expensive and scarce commodity to be using for patches in some areas at times.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #35 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
I'm thinking, from a less tan perfect memory clouded in mist, paper patched bullets were a late development. They had their day during the nineteenth century. Can be very accurate but usually not.  Once the merits of the greased bullet and jacketed bullets were realized, PP bullets were dropped like a hot tater along with black powder. 

Joe. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Reply #36 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Well, I'm no firearms historian, but to the best of my recollection, at least in the USA, the Minie ball was the first significant deviation from the patched round ball, and it would be a GG.  I'm thinking, like Joe says, that GG came before PP.

I think that GG became more popular than PP due to the ease of preparation of the bullet, not due to any superior properties or performance.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Need to look closer at the timeline, but it seems that factory paper patched loads died off pretty close to the time when all those nimble-fingered gals who did the patching for the ammunition companies got the 19th Amendment passed.
Not sure if there's a coincidence there or not...      Wink

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Yellowhouse

Reply #38 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
Cupro-nickel jacketed bullets and smokeless powder killed off the paper jacket.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 1:07am
Print Post  
BP wrote on Apr 13th, 2016 at 9:44pm:
Need to look closer at the timeline, but it seems that factory paper patched loads died off pretty close to the time when all those nimble-fingered gals who did the patching for the ammunition companies got the 19th Amendment passed.
Not sure if there's a coincidence there or not...      Wink

I am pretty sure they voted themselves the right to driver's licenses and didn't have time to set around rolling bullets any longer  Cheesy  There is a whole big wide world out there  Roll Eyes

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

bruce moulds
Senior Forum Member

Reply #40 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
the girls at sharps were taken over by machines.
factories were still loading pp ammo in 1912.
keep safe,
bruce.

ventum est amicus meus

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
Cigarette rolling machines were invented in 1880s. Wonder why it took them so long to adapt it to bullets?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #42 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 11:42am
Print Post  
It didn't take long at all in early 1880 Hugo Borchardt started designing a PP machine. He hadn't finished it when he lost his job when the Sharps factory closed for good. He Patented his design assigning it to the Peters Ammunition Co also in Bridgeport. He modified the design and also patented that, again assigning it to Peters. 

Later Peters amalgamated with Remington and I still wonder if there is some ancient old warehouse belonging to Remington, there isn't one or more of these machines gathering dust. It was powered by a belt drive from overhead wheels like almost all machines were at the time. A dozen or so PP machines were patented by various people but none appear to have survived. Borchardt's design was certainly the most complex of them all. I'd love to have seen one operating.

Harry

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #43 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Had an interesting chat at the WACA Reno show a couple years back with one of the fellows that has occassionally been allowed to access the Remington archive materials.
Said that with the corporate changes and constantly shifting personnel, and the moving of the materials to various locations, it isn’t easy to do research.
You’re not given free reign to go through the jumbled records, and every time you get sent to a new face, your level of trust starts from scratch all over again.
Said they still don’t really know what all is there.

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
I'd like to see a bullet roller in operation. Seems like it would  be nearly impossible to accurately install wet paper on a bullet with 19th century technology.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Send TopicPrint